Call for Donations - All new donations go towards our 2014 operating expenses. Please consider an ANNUAL donation to help keep this site operating. Click here to Donate

Photo

06 Cayenne S Misfire Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PorschePower06

PorschePower06

• Members
  • 57 posts
Neutral

Posted January 05, 2009 - 07:45 PM

I have approx 35k on my 06 Cayenne S and yesterday and today it started very rough. Hooked up the Durametric tonight and confirmed 3 fault code misfires on cylinders 4, 6, 7. Drove it up the hill and it registered 3 mis-fires on cylinder 7. Did some searching and seems like a number of people have had misfires around 30 to 40k with different year Cayennes. So questions: 1) When do the 02 sensors typically go bad - could this be it? 2) Same for MAF sensor ? 3) I am not familar with the bank locations but I am guessing same bank? 4) Saw someone say to change the oil as it could be contaminated? 5) Is this an easy DIY or should I take it to the dealer? 6) Could it simply be the gas - too much ethanol? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

#2 stealthn

stealthn

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 77 posts
Neutral

Posted January 05, 2009 - 09:19 PM

I'd bet a big steak on bad ignition coils. Many, many people have had the same issue (me included). Your truck is under warrant so just take her in a should be back to normal after the coil change.

Bob James
~~~~~~~~~~
79 911SC
05 Cayenne Turbo

#3 mazingerv1

mazingerv1

• Members
  • 74 posts
Neutral

Posted January 05, 2009 - 10:03 PM

I have the same problem, my Cayenne S lost power. I was told by the service agent that the coils went bad. after the coil change, it works fine now.

#4 PorschePower06

PorschePower06

• Members
  • 57 posts
Neutral

Posted January 06, 2009 - 04:37 AM

Thanks for the responses! - I will take it in today.

#5 wvicary

wvicary

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 2,888 posts
Excellent

Posted January 06, 2009 - 10:33 AM

As others have stated it's the ignition coils... the part has been updated and should be covered under the warranty period. Best to get them all replaced and not just the suspect one that's showing the misfire code.

#6 Reborn996

Reborn996

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 120 posts
Neutral

Posted January 06, 2009 - 10:54 AM

I can also add that this is not an expensive fix as I just did it on my 04 CTT. It runs about $120 for all 8 coils when ordering from our sponsors. The hardest part is just getting all the plastic covers off in the engine bay to remove the coils! I would also recommend if you are doing this yourself to change the plugs as well. Easy to do once the coils are out of the way. :) David

David - San Jose, CA

Current: 2014 Porsche Carrera C2

Current: 2010 Touareg TDI

Former: 2001 996 Cab

Former: 2000 Boxster S, upgraded to four seats...

Former: 2004 Porsche Cayenne Turbo... too many issues! mad.gif

Former: 1999 996 C2, sorely missed frown.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The RennTech.org site is Member supported!   Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org    Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org