Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Clutch Replacement Labor

Hello all

My clutch is beginnning to slip, as I expected, and it is time to have it changed. I just contacted a dealer and was quoted 17 hours of labor to change the clutch on a 2002 996 C4 cab. That seems a little excessive. I've been searching around the posts and it seems that the labor should be closer to 6-7 hours. At over $100/hour thats $1000 difference. Any advice from the members? Does anyone know of an independent shop in Northern New Jersey who would be willing to keep the labor under 10 hours to change the clutch? Thanks for your input.

Edited by lancelot092466

I did the clutch in my '76 911S, but the 996 seems much more involved for a garage project without a lift. I am putting together a list of parts for my clutch job right now, which is going in for next week...so far parts including a flywheel/rms are putting me over $1300. I am told that the flywheel has to be replaced 99% of the time...or at least might as well be while you have it apart. Any opinions?

I did the clutch in my '76 911S, but the 996 seems much more involved for a garage project without a lift. I am putting together a list of parts for my clutch job right now, which is going in for next week...so far parts including a flywheel/rms are putting me over $1300. I am told that the flywheel has to be replaced 99% of the time...or at least might as well be while you have it apart. Any opinions?

My vehicle 2003 C2

Replace the clutch at 40k

Actual times:

6.3 labor hours for the clutch

.5 hours for the release fork bearing

I went with a light weight flywheel and racing clutch.

Sorry can't help with a shop recommendation.

Good luck

Well, let's see. I think I started about middle of dec. and the parts finally arrived yesterday.

So I figure I'll be done by this weekend. :lol:

Time actually working on the car. About 4 hours.

Time shopping for tools and parts. LOTS

NEVER start something like this over the holidays when you have house guests. :rolleyes:

An early 911 clutch replacement is a lot more work than a 996 replacement. The entire powerplat and transmission need to be removed in a 76. A good tech. can complete the job in around 5 hours. The 996 is WAY easier. I replaced my last (with rear main and on a lift) in 3 hours and 9min. I did however loose $20 since I failed to complete the job in 3 hours flat. A 986 is considerably more work than a 996 due to the exhaust, brackets, and trans mounts.

All

Thanks for all the responses. You guys are tempting me to do it myself. The only clutch job I did was on my first car, a 1974 Datsun B210. Considering i'm a mechanically inclined novice, on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the hardest) how difficult is it to change the clutch?

All

Thanks for all the responses. You guys are tempting me to do it myself. The only clutch job I did was on my first car, a 1974 Datsun B210. Considering i'm a mechanically inclined novice, on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the hardest) how difficult is it to change the clutch?

I'd give it a 6. It's not technically complicated, but the transmission is heavy to move around and, above all, to realign. It's also quite dirty and if you don't have a lift you'd rather not be clostrophibic. You'll also need to spend several hundred $ on tools (special Porsche and ordinary). Regarding the flywheel, I read somewhere that it should be replaced every two clutch replacement. One better way to check is to follow the procedure in one TSB (don't remember which one, but you can find it on the Renntech.org TSB list, accessible to contributing members). While you're there, you may probably want to have a look at your RMS. It will add another 30-45 mins of work. The seal itself costs around $20, but you'll need to get the RMS tool.

The first time took me about 8 hours but I really took it easy, I should be able to do it again in 4-5 today. I think it's worth the effort, but I'll leave this up to you.

HTH

996c4s. dealer replaced clutch and RMS billed 5 hours. Car is back at dealer 2 years later as rms leaks again. you may want to think about it. OEM porsche parts have 2 year warranty. if you need to replace RMS i would take it to dealer only for warranty purposes

I'd agree with the 6, but then again I don't have the gbox back in yet. :D

RMS Tool $242.44

Tranny Jack $108.00

The only thing that makes it hard is the location and weight of the gbox.

If it was under the hood and weighed 20lbs everyone would do it themselves.

If you've done a clutch before, then you probably won't have any problem.

BTW; Don't be surprised if you see one of these become available in the FOR SALE forum in a month or so. ;)

Thanks Foster. I'll keep an eye out for it. There are only two reasons holding me back from doing it myself. My garage is not heated and it's **** cold out there. And I forget what the second reason is...Anyway, I started calling around indie shops and so far I've got a quote for 10hr of labor. that's a little more reasonable but still a bit high.

SA321 - I guess dealers are little more honest on the other side of the pond.

10 hrs is still high for just the clutch I think. I mean if an amateur thats never done it before can do it in under 8. :rolleyes:

My garage isn't heated either. Fortunately I'm in FL. B)

Still, rolling around on cold concrete for several hours is never fun. :(

Which I will be doing this evening. Glad I have a creeper!

Edited by Foster

99' C2 w/ 86k

I would have done my clutch replacement but without a lift figured it was waaay too much of a pain in the you know what!

I got three quotes and ended up at my indie with an 8 hour estimate and all with complete Sachs factory clutch parts (no flywheel), $1235 including tax, said and done. Other quotes ranged from $1200- $1700 between another indie and also dealer.

My advise on the RMS is if you know it has been done before and it is not leaking, leave it alone. I was unsure on mine, however, it was not leaking at all so i left it alone. If its leaking, well, thats an easy answer.

Pete

Edited by peckel

• 1 month later...

Heloo All

My apologies for the bump, but I wanted to update the group on me clutch replacement. I went with an indie shop (too cold outside for a DIY) near where I live. PowerTech :thumbup: in Rockaway NJ. Great shop! They quoted me 6.5 hours for labor and put in a Sachs Peformance clutch and flywheel. The parts were at or near cost and the service was fast. I am very happy with their work and would highly recommend them to anyone.

1999 carrera 4,

I'm thinking about changing the clutch and the flywheel myself too. I shopped for new parts and it seems like Autozone has a good deal.

Now I just have to find a deal on the RMS tool, since I'm changing that too.

Kristian

Thanks for the update :)

I noticed a lot of people commenting about the hours.. but I'm not sure all of them noticed it was a C4 and requires a "tad" more effort :)

B

Thanks for the update :)

I noticed a lot of people commenting about the hours.. but I'm not sure all of them noticed it was a C4 and requires a "tad" more effort :)

B

Ya, I failed to catch that Brad. The only all wheel I've ever done was an 89 1/2. OMG that was one of the most cobbled together automobiles I've ever seen. I think Porsche threw that thing together to stir the market up for the 964. I got a kick out of the shift lever floating on the drive shaft with a couple of adjustment rods holding it together. It was a crusty driver from up north and everything was corroded over. It was no fun at all. :(

BTW; Don't be surprised if you see one of these become available in the FOR SALE forum in a month or so. ;)

You don't need a RMS tool. ;if you're careful. just tap around the edges of the seal with a small rubber tipped hammer.....and make sure you don't push the seal too far in, another way is to get a PVC pipe the same size as the outer diameter of the seal and tap equally around the pipe with a small rubber tipped hammer while holding against the seal......again don't push the seal too far in.. replace the intermediate shaft bolts one at a time and epoxy the heads ;)

Yes, I bought my alternator there too with a $100 core return. I compared the prices for a

clutch and flywheel with Ebay, and Autozone got a better price.

Kristian

I shopped for new parts and it seems like Autozone has a good deal.

Seriously?? :o

B

Just so happens, the owner of Autozone is a Porsche guy through and through.. but I didn't know they carried some of our parts!!

Interesting.

Funny quick story: Autozone carries the European NON-AC belt for the 986-996 :lol:

Now, I know full well that the belt *probably* fits 100 other cars, but my friends thought it was funny when I asked a counter clerk if they had it.. :lol:

B

That's funny. I got my rebuilt alternator at Autozone too after getting a quote from the dealer for a new one at $1200. It was also around $100 and it comes with lifetime warrantry. You just can not beat that. That was about 20K miles ago and it's still running strong. :)