Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

PSS9 install with new parts?

I'll be doing a PSS9 install on my 02 C2 Coupe and I want to just install them with new upper mounts, bearing perches, etc. My current ones (42k miles) make noise at low speed, so I don't want to reuse them, plus then I don't have to dissassemble them to reuse the parts. I've been researching for days now and have a few questions.

1. If you look at the parts breakdown on the 996 front struts, there is a choice of the normal upper mounting plate and the X74 mounting plate. Besides twice the cost, what is the difference bewteen the two? Since a PSS9 is closer to an X74 than the stock setup, should I go with them?

2. Anyone have a complete parts list that has to normally be swapped from the old struts to the new PSS9's?

3. I assume that if I rarely, if ever track the car, then monoballs/camber plates are not worth the trade off in noise and harshness for street use?

4. I'll be doing this myself, most likely with a bud, and I have had the car up on 4 stands before, but it seems like there is no real advantage to doing that, vs just the front all up, and then the rear all up, correct?

5. Am I correct in assuming that I can go to heavier, adjustable sways at a later date w/o having to redo anything?

6. I'll get the car aligned & corner balanced after it settles a bit, and I dial in ride height.... new sways do not require any re alignment, right?

7. I've done struts before..they all have little quirks. I have the instructions on the ROWM030 install from Renntech that I am using as a basis. It does not mentions having to pop the ball joints, yet the Porsche manual and 986 instructions says to pop them. I have air tools, a fairly well equipped garage, a couple of jacks, and spring compressors, so what's really required?