Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Should I stick with this model or wait for the 987-2?

I just joined up to ask a question. I've been looking at getting a Porsche for a couple of months now, and while doing some research (including lurking on this forum) on it I noticed this model of the Boxster was discontinued last year. I was really looking it this model and liked it a lot. I was planning on going through with getting one as soon as I found a dealership I liked. Is that for any particular reason or should I be waiting waiting for 987-2 series. I'm just checking before I make a commitment. You know, buying a Porsche is a big commitment to make and I want to be sure.

Also, as long as I'm asking questions. I've been looking for the LA area for a good Porsche dealer and I came up with Circle Porsche as being a good one. Can anyone with experience there confirm or deny that? The reason I ask is that they still have Boxsters in their inventory from what I can tell on their website. They've been getting hard to find.

I just joined up to ask a question. I've been looking at getting a Porsche for a couple of months now, and while doing some research (including lurking on this forum) on it I noticed this model of the Boxster was discontinued last year. I was really looking it this model and liked it a lot. I was planning on going through with getting one as soon as I found a dealership I liked. Is that for any particular reason or should I be waiting waiting for 987-2 series. I'm just checking before I make a commitment. You know, buying a Porsche is a big commitment to make and I want to be sure.

Also, as long as I'm asking questions. I've been looking for the LA area for a good Porsche dealer and I came up with Circle Porsche as being a good one. Can anyone with experience there confirm or deny that? The reason I ask is that they still have Boxsters in their inventory from what I can tell on their website. They've been getting hard to find.

Some people have a lot of anxiety brought on by the reported IMS failures in the 986's, 987's, 996's and 997's.

The new engine design has "moved on" from the IMS design of the M96 engines.

Whether there are some other potential problem areas in the new engine design will take some time to establish.

Do some more reading before making your decision. Do a search here for IMS failure, and follow the links in those threads.

Regards, Maurice.

• Moderators

The IMS problem is much improved since the latest design on M96/97 engines off MY 06. If you can buy the car with a large discount, i would no doubt. Take your time and wait till the new generation is in the show rooms. The later resale value for the latest of the first generation will not be much lower as the first of the new generation and will compensate a lot of the total costs IMHO.

The IMS problem is much improved since the latest design on M96/97 engines off MY 06. If you can buy the car with a large discount, i would no doubt. Take your time and wait till the new generation is in the show rooms. The later resale value for the latest of the first generation will not be much lower as the first of the new generation and will compensate a lot of the total costs IMHO.

What he said.

The new ones might have their own problems. You have a great car now. Just wait awhile.

Drive both cars and pick one! Great reasons to go either way. If I were shopping for new today I might hold out for a PDK tranny. Not quite ready to trade in my good ol' 986 though.

+1 on Circle Porsche. A very customer oriented dealer if there ever is such a thing. Ask for Matt and tell him a PCA-GPX member sent you. He will treat you right.

Sorry about the delay getting back to you guys. I can only really browse forums when I'm at work and I've just been way to busy these last couple of days.

Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate the input. So taking account of what you guys said I think I'm just going to wait a bit until the newer models hit the showroom. You're right I don't need a new car immediately and should just take my time.