Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Some common problems on 2004 Cayenne S

Hi!

I have read a lot on the forum lately, and it seem to be smart to post some questions regarding to the problems i have with my 04 Cayenne S.

Problem 1: On my last service the Porsche workshop here in Norway, changed all the coils and spark plugs on my 04 Cayenne S. I see from the receipt that the part number on the coils is 948.602.104.05. Is this the correct part number? I have red some threads on the forum, and i see the number 948.602.104.03 is also mentioned. Could you please tell me which number is correct for my 04 Cayenne S?

Problem 2: I also have problem with rough idling on the engine and hard gear shift from 1. to 2. gear when engine is cold. The car practically "leaps" forward if you are to hard on the accelerator. I am not sure any TSB's has been done for this, since the previous owner lived in Spain. Could this be a missing software update on the tiptronic or the DME?

Problem 3: Another problem that concerns me, is that i feel hesitation and vibration from engine when pressing the accelerator pedal when the engine is at low rpms and ie. 6 th gear. This would be from 1200 through 1600 rpms, which again the engine sounds fine and the vibration is gone. What do you think can cause this? Could it be clogged air intake filters? Know that the last owner lived in Spain where there often is a lot of sand and dust in the air. Could this also be a missing software update on the tiptronic or the DME?

Problem 4: My ventilation system had a fault code on the right temperaturmix servomotor, but the temperature on the right side can be regulated, but not on the left side. The left side practically blowes cold air constantly, temperature does not change whether the controller is on HI or LO.

Problem 5: My auxiliary parking heater is dead, it don't start up when programmed (only the timer starts). The remote control is not getting contact with the control unit either. What do you think can cause this, is it the control unit. I once took out the fuse for the controller that fixed this problem, but that didn't work this time.

Problem 6: Solved. I constantly got warning on fault on air suspension after start up of the car. I bought the repair kit for the air compressor with VW part number 7LO 698 030 (thanks to RFM for the tips) and put 30 minutes of labor into it. Now the alarm has disappeared completely. The kit was expensive, around 200$ for one piston ring, one plastic hose connector, one o-ring and two 6x80mm stainless steel bolts. But compared to the price of a new compressor it was worth it.

It is interesting to see that most of the problems that i have found on my car, is the same problems that are most discussed on these forums. Once i got these problems fixed i hope the car would be more or less problem free for a while :rolleyes:

By the way, which diagnosing tool would you recommend? I have read some about the Durametric and it seems like a good product. I live some hours drive from the Porsche dealer, so it would be convenient to have a diagnostic tool to read out and reset fault codes.

By the way, thanks for a great site, it has helped me to resolve a few problems on my car already (hatch struts, air suspension warning, fault on hatch door lock etc)

Best regards

Isakpede

Norway

Contributing member.

Edited by isakpede

• Admin

1. Yes, the .05 coil packs are the latest revision and the only revision currently available.

2 & 3. Most likely can be corrected with a DME re-program.

4. You will need a PIWIS tester to diagnose this problem further.

5. There is a TSb for older cars (including 2004) that mentions a problem with the Air-conditioning system regulator that will prevent the Aux Heater from being programmed or running right. See if your car is included in the Service Campaign.

Thanks Loren.

1. Resolved

2 and 3 have to be checked and get done next visit at the dealer. (8 hours drive away)

4 and 5. I have allready ordered a new A/C control unit. Hope this will solve some of the A/S issues. Hope the dealer program it correctly before they send to me. The TSB's on the forum mention only VIN's for USA and Canada, do you know where i could get the TSB's for European models?

Is it possible to resolve some of the A/C programming issues and fault codes with a diagnose tool from ie. Durametric.

isakpede

Edited by isakpede

• Admin
he TSB's on the forum mention only VIN's for USA and Canada, do you know where i could get the TSB's for European models?
You might be able to get a dealer to give you a copy of that one.

Most of the TSBs are worldwide - with the exception being when specific VINs are called out.

There's a TSB on #2: "Cayenne Hard Shifting in Range of 1 to 2" or something like that which you can see if you are a member. Mine does that too. They have to replace the TCU and reprogram/update some program. The part cost alone is $700 USD per a local dealer. Or you could just leave it.

• 2 weeks later...

Updates.

Changed the temperature servomotors on both sides of the dashboard today. It was very difficult to get the bastards out due to the narrow spaces in the dash. I could post some pics if someone is interested.... It is a not recommended job for people with big hands... Still wiping the blood of mine.... (And I got pretty small hands.)

But now the temperature regulation works fine on both sides.

Also bought a Durametric tool wich I used to clear some faultcodes in the AC system. Eventually my auxillary heater seemes to work fine again :-)

Isak

Edited by isakpede

• 2 weeks later...
How much did the temperature servomotors cost you?

My heater blows on and off by itself. Dealer said it would cost me $700 USD to replace it. Crazy expensive!

Chris

70$ each servomotor. But do you have problems with cold air on one side and hot on the other? If the heater blows on an of by itself it might also be the controller.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have the same mixing flap issue, driver side blowing warm ,passenger cold.

I would appreciate if you could post some pict of the temp-servo replacement process

thanks

Hi.

Sorry but it is way to narrow to get a good picture of where the temp-mix servomotors is mounted. But I can sure tell you that it takes a good porsion of patience and som sore fingers to change them out.

My suggestion is that you buy the servomotors for both sides and get a drawing of where they are placed from your dealer. If only one is broken now, you will probably have to change the otherone in a short time.

On the driverside you have to remove the covers above the pedals to get access to the left side of the midconsole. On the right side you need to remove the glove compartment to get access to the servomotor on the right side of the console. There are threes servomotors on each side so be sure to pick the right one.

You can try to adjust the temperature between max and min to figure out wich one that are not working properly.

The motors are fixed with three torx T20 screws. Those are the challenge to get in and out without dismantling the rest of the dashboard. I used a T20 bit and a litle fixed spanner to do the job.

Good Luck.