Call for Donations - All new donations go towards our 2014 operating expenses. Please consider an ANNUAL donation to help keep this site operating. Click here to Donate

Photo

Cayman S Steering Wheel Removal

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SprintStar

SprintStar

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 44 posts
Neutral

Posted March 21, 2009 - 12:46 AM

Hello All! Car is a '07 Cayman S. Does anyone know how to remove the steering wheel? It's a 3-spoke wheel. I see only a small hole on the back of it but can't put a light to see if it's a screw or what... Thanks! Sprint.

#2 ettsn

ettsn

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 33 posts
Neutral

Posted March 21, 2009 - 08:18 AM

Disconnect your battery first! Use an allen wrench or something similar to push through the hole. This will pop off the airbag (it's held on with spring clips). Disconnect the electrical connection for the airbag. Mark the hub and wheel with a marker (to aid in replacing correctly). Remove the bolts you find under the airbag (these should be obvious).

#3 SprintStar

SprintStar

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 44 posts
Neutral

Posted March 21, 2009 - 10:45 AM

Disconnect your battery first! Use an allen wrench or something similar to push through the hole. This will pop off the airbag (it's held on with spring clips). Disconnect the electrical connection for the airbag. Mark the hub and wheel with a marker (to aid in replacing correctly). Remove the bolts you find under the airbag (these should be obvious).

Hi! Thanks for the reply.

Push thru the hole? Do I need to twist the allen wrench? What size does it take?

I had a '97 Boxster and the airbag was held on by 2 Torx screws. It was quite obvious how it work. This Cayman is very different!

Thanks!

Sprint.

#4 ettsn

ettsn

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 33 posts
Neutral

Posted March 22, 2009 - 12:08 PM

Small enough to fit through the hole, no twisting (the allen head doesn't engage anything, you're simply using it to pop off the airbag). The airbag is only held in place using spring clips.

#5 berty987

berty987

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 628 posts
Neutral

Posted March 26, 2009 - 10:29 AM

I think the removal of the steering wheel has already been covered in the 997 forum. The airbag is held in place by 3 sprung clips which are released by pushing at a central point on the spring through the hole in the rear of the wheel. I found that using a thin bladed screwdriver with a long shank allowed the spring to be released. You need to position the blade of the driver so it is across the spring so the blade must be in line with the axis of the car. Before you remove the airbag make sure the battery is disconnected and that the key is in the ignition.

2004 987 S LHD Artic Silver, Full leather pack, Ocean Blue interior, Cruise, PCM2.1 , Telephone module, Bi Xenon Lights, 19" Carrera Techno Alloys, PASM , Sport Chrono Packet Plus , Electric Seats , Heated Seats , Climate upgrade , BOSE sound system, CDR22 6 disk changer, Multifunction Steering Wheel , Colured Wheel Centres , Space Saver Spare Wheel ,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The RennTech.org site is Member supported!   Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org    Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org