The RennTech.org site is Member supported! - All new donations will go towards our 2015 operating expenses. Please consider an ANNUAL donation to help keep this site operating. Click here to Donate

Photo

PIWIS or Durametric ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jppilot

jppilot

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted April 28, 2009 - 05:38 PM

I would like to know which are the differences between PIWIS and Durametric fault and ecu reader and witch is the best . Thanks JPPILOT from Portugal

Attached Images

• DiagnosticToolPorsche.gif

Edited by Loren, April 28, 2009 - 05:45 PM.
Removed ALL CAPS - please do not post in ALL CAPS

Want to get rid of these ads? It's easy... just become a Contributing Member.  Donate here

#2 ericinboca

ericinboca

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 478 posts
Neutral

Posted April 28, 2009 - 06:02 PM

I would like to know which are the differences between PIWIS and Durametric fault and ecu reader and witch is the best .
Thanks
JPPILOT from Portugal

Lot's of guys much smarter on this than me, Loren for one, but there is a big difference.

Durametric, while an absolutely awesome tool (I have one and recommend it to most DIYers), only reads codes and can give actual values, and let you clear check engine lights and some other things. It is a very good diagnostic tool. It will not let you program the DME, however. The entusiast version cost less that 300 USD.

PIWIS is the latest version of the porsche tester, which I understand is only available by lease to Porsche shops and independents and runs 5 figures, plus yearly updates. A PIWIS does everything, including allowing you to make changes to the DME. The PST2 is the PIWIS predecessor, but will not work with 9x7s.

#3 Loren

Loren

Porsche Nut

• Admin
  • 28,549 posts
Outstanding

Posted April 28, 2009 - 07:32 PM

Durametric - under $300 does most of what every DIY'er will ever need. PIWIS - leased by Porsche at 18,000 USD for the first year and then 12,000 USD for each succeeding year (includes updates).

Loren

RennTech.org

PCA member since 1978

My Mods in the Registry

Has someone helped you with a good solution to your question(s)? If so, give them a reputation point by clicking the rep_up.png arrow at the bottom right corner of any post.

#4 JeTexas

JeTexas

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 547 posts
Good

Posted April 29, 2009 - 05:48 AM

Don't be fooled by that company out of China that keeps listing "PIWIS" cables on eBay for $150. Those aren't real. As far as I can tell they're just bootleg versions of the Durametric cable. You can often find used Durametric enthusiast cables cheap because they only work on three cars. I bought one for $60 because it only had one car left on it. Now if I ever sell my car, I'll just send it along as part of the deal.

#5 jppilot

jppilot

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted April 29, 2009 - 06:18 AM

Don't be fooled by that company out of China that keeps listing "PIWIS" cables on eBay for $150. Those aren't real. As far as I can tell they're just bootleg versions of the Durametric cable.

You can often find used Durametric enthusiast cables cheap because they only work on three cars. I bought one for $60 because it only had one car left on it. Now if I ever sell my car, I'll just send it along as part of the deal.

#6 jppilot

jppilot

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted April 29, 2009 - 07:42 AM

I would like to know which are the differences between PIWIS and Durametric fault and ecu reader and witch is the best .
Thanks
JPPILOT from Portugal

Lot's of guys much smarter on this than me, Loren for one, but there is a big difference.

Durametric, while an absolutely awesome tool (I have one and recommend it to most DIYers), only reads codes and can give actual values, and let you clear check engine lights and some other things. It is a very good diagnostic tool. It will not let you program the DME, however. The entusiast version cost less that 300 USD.

PIWIS is the latest version of the porsche tester, which I understand is only available by lease to Porsche shops and independents and runs 5 figures, plus yearly updates. A PIWIS does everything, including allowing you to make changes to the DME. The PST2 is the PIWIS predecessor, but will not work with 9x7s.

#7 jppilot

jppilot

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted April 29, 2009 - 07:43 AM

Thanks to all of you !!! for the reply's ill go for DURAMETRIC for all Cars (PORSCHE).

Edited by jppilot, April 29, 2009 - 07:44 AM.

#8 twsarch

twsarch

• Members
  • 34 posts
Neutral

Posted October 26, 2010 - 09:00 AM

There are a couple “professional” versions of the Durametric that are not limited to number of cars, cost more of course.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Want to get rid of these ads? It's easy... just become a Contributing Member.  Donate here

The RennTech.org site is Member supported!   Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org    Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org