Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Help ID Suspension and Brakes

The owner has no idea what the car has. What is this suspension and what are these brakes? It's a 2003 996 C2. The option sticker shows code 030 (US sport suspension). The front ride height is approx 1.5 - 2" lower than my stock C4 cabrio. I think I know what the suspension is, but I want a confirmation. It feels fairly stiff with a lot less roll than stock. The red brake calipers have me confused; they look like standard stock brakes to me.

post-8979-1242001573_thumb.jpg

post-8979-1242001586_thumb.jpg

post-8979-1242001596_thumb.jpg

post-8979-1242001608_thumb.jpg

post-8979-1242001621_thumb.jpg

Looks like an X74 package to me (only ones I know that are yellow).

See if you can find a part number on a strut.

Thanks Loren. That's exactly what I thought, X74. The car looks like it came from the factor with US M030 suspension. What color are the M030 shocks? Are the anti roll bars for the US M030 and X74 the same?

What is the significance of the red brake calipers? They look like stock 996 calipers but the red paint looks factory.

Thanks Loren. That's exactly what I thought, X74. The car looks like it came from the factor with US M030 suspension. What color are the M030 shocks? Are the anti roll bars for the US M030 and X74 the same?

What is the significance of the red brake calipers? They look like stock 996 calipers but the red paint looks factory.

The standard calipers are available in red, at least in the aftermarket. One possibility, anyway.

• Admin

Factory X74 retrofit lowers the C2 40mm in the front and 30mm in the rear. If it is a factory X74 kit - then it should be on the option list.

Swaybars are the same for M030 and X74.

Brake calipers colors on a C2 are mostly irrelevant - black, red, and silver are all the same size. Yellow would be PCCB (ceramic).

• Moderators
might be yellow bilsteins with aftermarket springs that were installed after the fact....

That is what I am thinking, aftermarket shocks. If the shocks do not have a big sticker or remnant of one with a barcode on it, it is aftermarket. Also look on the rear roll bar on the left side and see if you can find a paint dot. If you can tell us what color it is. Also on the springs there should be 3 paint marks on them. what color are those.

might be yellow bilsteins with aftermarket springs that were installed after the fact....

That is what I am thinking, aftermarket shocks. If the shocks do not have a big sticker or remnant of one with a barcode on it, it is aftermarket. Also look on the rear roll bar on the left side and see if you can find a paint dot. If you can tell us what color it is. Also on the springs there should be 3 paint marks on them. what color are those.

I don't know. I did not have the car jacked up and I couldn't really get a good look. I didn't see any stickers on the shock tubes from my exam. From looking at pictures of shocks from websites e.g. Tirerack, Suncoast, Carnewal and also photos of X74 shocks, it looks like X74s only have 1 sticker and regular yellow Bilsteins have more stickers.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/for-...-sway-bars.html

I'm getting a PPI and I asked the dealer to ID the suspension. Hopefully they will be able to positively ID them.

• 2 weeks later...
Part numbers will tell...

No part #s apparent. But the springs have 3 colored paint dots: orange, white, blue. The dampers have a "T" on the tubes. The anti roll bars size don't seem to match anything Porsche or even H&R (24.3 mm front, 20 mm rear). The dealer couldn't make a positive ID. I think the dampers and springs are X74 (see photo). The ARB is probably unknown aftermarket.

post-8979-1242904136_thumb.jpg