Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi All,

Some interesting going on with my temp gauge/over heating issue on my 2004 Cayenne Turbo and was wondering if anyone else had this scenerio.

1. Temp guage at 180 most of the time....

2. Sometimes (30 - 50% of the time) lately the temp will go up slightly only when idyling or slow traffic.

3. It will tick up to 185 (maybe) and stop and then in a matter of seconds it will tick back and stop at 180 and stay.

4. It never goes above that 185 mark and always goes back and only happens during idle or slow stop and go traffic and when moving goes back to 180.

5. No water pump leaks that I can find and no codes from a scan.

Does not seem like a stuck themostat but maybe an intermitten fan??

Any ideas or anyone experiecne anything like this, i like to hear your opinions or thoughts. Just wondering maybe if waterpump is going or sensor somewhere??

• 10 years later...

My 06 Turbo cooling is acting weird just today. At idle or slow speeds it's always on 180. On the highway it seems to warm to 190-200. Stop and it cools right down to 180. Today on rhe highway the check coolant came on and temps were 210 to maybe 215. Stopped, only took maybe 1/3 gallon to top off. Still seemed to run 210 or so the next 10 minutes to home. Idled and it dropped back to 180. Any thoughts on what's causing this?

• Moderators
13 hours ago, WillMo said:

My 06 Turbo cooling is acting weird just today. At idle or slow speeds it's always on 180. On the highway it seems to warm to 190-200. Stop and it cools right down to 180. Today on rhe highway the check coolant came on and temps were 210 to maybe 215. Stopped, only took maybe 1/3 gallon to top off. Still seemed to run 210 or so the next 10 minutes to home. Idled and it dropped back to 180. Any thoughts on what's causing this?

Possibly air in the system.

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/18/2019 at 9:11 PM, WillMo said:

If air is in the system you can tell cos in the morning after its cooled completely it will be low level in expansion tank and need topping up. This may take a few days of topping off to get full in my experience. But why? Had work done recently? 

Otherwise the turbo coolant T's at back of engine are a possible leak point and the dreaded pipes under the manifold or the water pump itself or alternator, the list goes on.....

I'll list below the overheating possible causes I know of: 

1. Head gasket failure I had, would over heat at idle due to low relative coolant flow and hot combustion gases entering the coolant. 

2. Serpentine belt slippage on water pump 

3. Water pump impeller blades broke or excess clearances reducing pumping performance. 

4. Thermostat or fan switching control 

5. Fans not running 

6. Rad blocked. 

7. Air locks, hard to bleed this engine manually, best to let self bleed, cool to stone cold and top off daily until full.  

8. ECT sensor faulty

My guess is water pump, my theory, blades are snapped/clearances are incorrect between impeller and housing (worn pump bearings allows contact of impeller to housing) .

At idle flow is enough to cool engine and turbo's, at speed the heat is too much and the flow is still poor due to the blades snapped. 

You would amazed by the heat difference from idle compared to 3k rpm.