Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Factory Trailer Hitch Wiring Install

Hello,

I have a 2005 V6 Cayenne. I am installing a trailer hitch as the truck did not have one when I bought it.

My plan is to install the Curt aftermarket hitch and the Porsche factory wiring and controls.

I have purchased the Porsche factory parts as follows:

955-618-040-10 Control Unit

955-612-506-00 Wiring Harness

PNA-955-118-93 Trailer Hitch Connector (this is the 7 pin Pollak connector)

PNA 955-127-08 7-4 way Adapter

I am going to get the Curt hitch installed saturday at a hitch shop but plan to install the wiring/control unit.

I have done a search and reviewed the TSB (I could only find the TSB on the electric trailer hitch), but I'm wondering if anyone has some advice on the install process for the wiring and control unit.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Brent

Hello Brent,

The control unit is a small plastic box and if I remember there is 2 or 3 plugs to attach on the module. If you look on the trunk on the passenger side in the compartment over the wheel you will find all the connectors pre-wired. All of them are wrapped with grey foam. At first view the curt kit may look to cost you less, but if you buy all parts piece by piece, it's cheaper to buy the original kit. I installed by myself in about an hour max and I'm not a top mechanical. You need only to remove the crossmember put the hitch and foampart and clip all the plugs. All of them have different size and shape and it's impossible to make a mistake. The only bad thing is the new cayenne model come with smaller size bolt to hold the hitch. I needed to buy specific bolt to hold it, this is steel structure bolt category. The price to buy 8 bolt at porsche dealer was the cost to buy a full box of 48 at a specialized bolt store. So if you need some I'll give you 8 at no charge, you just pay the shipping cost. (I have 40 left if this can help you) M14 100mm I had ordered a curt kit and resell it on ebay.... When you will see the difference side by side it's like day and night.

I strongly suggest to buy the P4 brake controller, it's like having nothing in tow and dont need any adjustement.

I'm pulling a 5,000 lbs trailer regulary with my v6 and the cayenne is a very good towing vehicule.

The TSB is attached, if you have any question, dont hesitate to ask,

Thanks,

GUY

post-23860-1243301788_thumb.jpg

Hitch_1D6.pdf

post-23860-1243302094_thumb.jpg

post-23860-1243302346.jpg

So you removed the rear bumper covers, removed the existing bumper, cut the valance and mounted and wired the hitch assembly in an hour ? You did not have to take it to the dealer to programme ? What model year are you driving ?

Hello Brent,

The control unit is a small plastic box and if I remember there is 2 or 3 plugs to attach on the module. If you look on the trunk on the passenger side in the compartment over the wheel you will find all the connectors pre-wired. All of them are wrapped with grey foam. At first view the curt kit may look to cost you less, but if you buy all parts piece by piece, it's cheaper to buy the original kit. I installed by myself in about an hour max and I'm not a top mechanical. You need only to remove the crossmember put the hitch and foampart and clip all the plugs. All of them have different size and shape and it's impossible to make a mistake. The only bad thing is the new cayenne model come with smaller size bolt to hold the hitch. I needed to buy specific bolt to hold it, this is steel structure bolt category. The price to buy 8 bolt at porsche dealer was the cost to buy a full box of 48 at a specialized bolt store. So if you need some I'll give you 8 at no charge, you just pay the shipping cost. (I have 40 left if this can help you) M14 100mm I had ordered a curt kit and resell it on ebay.... When you will see the difference side by side it's like day and night.

I strongly suggest to buy the P4 brake controller, it's like having nothing in tow and dont need any adjustement.

I'm pulling a 5,000 lbs trailer regulary with my v6 and the cayenne is a very good towing vehicule.

Thanks,

GUY

It's really easy to remove the bumper about 10-15 mins and then 4 bolts for the cross over, all plugs are pre-wired to the towing control unit. To cut the valance I used aluminium scisor and if you look on the back side there is a line on the valence, follow the line and cut like a piece of paper. You just need to buy a part from porsche, the 7 pin receptacle to put on the circle with four small screw. Again this adaptor is prewired to the one running inside the factory hitch.

May be at max 1.5 hour to do everything. And if I change for another cayenne, I will redo again in one hour sharp. Keep your crossmember just in case. I have a 04 cayenne V6 see larger picture with our trailer, 11,000 pounds for both vehicule at the scale.

If you need any supprt or document, let me know.

GUY

post-23860-1243566203_thumb.jpg

i'm in the market for a trailer hitch and also I just need the wires with the plug and the trailer hitch. a few days ago I have seen this hitch on a Dodge Ram and found it very nice cause its adjustable! so you lower it or raise it, as you wish and it also looks great.

does anyone use this?

2008-05-28-andersen-rapid-hitch.jpg

and the link:

Andersen trailer hitch

Edited by stealthTT

I did this 4 years ago, I know exactly whats involved, see my gallery on rennlist. The Dealer had to program in the hitch, maybe because of my Air Suspension. Also not all Cayenne have all the wiring in place and fishing it through is a PIA

It's really easy to remove the bumper about 10-15 mins and then 4 bolts for the cross over, all plugs are pre-wired to the towing control unit. To cut the valance I used aluminium scisor and if you look on the back side there is a line on the valence, follow the line and cut like a piece of paper. You just need to buy a part from porsche, the 7 pin receptacle to put on the circle with four small screw. Again this adaptor is prewired to the one running inside the factory hitch.

May be at max 1.5 hour to do everything. And if I change for another cayenne, I will redo again in one hour sharp. Keep your crossmember just in case. I have a 04 cayenne V6 see larger picture with our trailer, 11,000 pounds for both vehicule at the scale.

If you need any supprt or document, let me know.

GUY

i'm in the market for a trailer hitch and also I just need the wires with the plug and the trailer hitch. a few days ago I have seen this hitch on a Dodge Ram and found it very nice cause its adjustable! so you lower it or raise it, as you wish and it also looks great.

does anyone use this?

and the link:

Andersen trailer hitch

I've been using one to tow my boat.

DSC_0505.jpg

and...

DSC_0515.jpg

does anyone use this?

and the link:

Andersen trailer hitch

I've been using one to tow my boat.

DSC_0505.jpg

and...

DSC_0515.jpg

very nice, that's what I was looking for. I usually trailer the offroad bike, and some times maybe a boat or a small trailer.

could you please tell me which was the model that you've got? I mean, there are different dimensions and I dont know what to choose.

thanks,

Ilie

very nice, that's what I was looking for. I usually trailer the offroad bike, and some times maybe a boat or a small trailer.

could you please tell me which was the model that you've got? I mean, there are different dimensions and I dont know what to choose.

thanks,

Ilie

Its an 06 CS.

Is the brake controller really necessary for towing boats and things that don't have trailer brakes? Or will the wiring not work properly without it. I only anticipate I will pull a Jetski and possibly a car trailer for short distances and will never need the controller. Any help would be great.

If your trailer does not have brakes then you dont need a controller

Is the brake controller really necessary for towing boats and things that don't have trailer brakes? Or will the wiring not work properly without it. I only anticipate I will pull a Jetski and possibly a car trailer for short distances and will never need the controller. Any help would be great.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Brent,

Just curious how the hitch installation went. I am looking to do the same thing and just looking for input on the project.

Do you have any pics of the completed install. What did u use to cut the fisca on the bumper. Also i have rear sensors on my 04 cayenne s, with they have to be reprogrammed ?

Hello,

I have a 2005 V6 Cayenne. I am installing a trailer hitch as the truck did not have one when I bought it.

My plan is to install the Curt aftermarket hitch and the Porsche factory wiring and controls.

I am going to get the Curt hitch installed saturday at a hitch shop but plan to install the wiring/control unit.

I have done a search and reviewed the TSB (I could only find the TSB on the electric trailer hitch), but I'm wondering if anyone has some advice on the install process for the wiring and control unit.

Brent

CAYENNE69, Do you still have any of the bolts left? Can i purchase set of 6 from you?

Thanks.

Hello Brent,

Thanks,

GUY

The rear sensors are not impacted by the install, my gallery on rennlist has pictures of the mechanics not the electrics tho

Hi Brent,

Just curious how the hitch installation went. I am looking to do the same thing and just looking for input on the project.

Do you have any pics of the completed install. What did u use to cut the fisca on the bumper. Also i have rear sensors on my 04 cayenne s, with they have to be reprogrammed ?

Hello,

Brent

So after you installed the curt hitch you didnt have to re-configure sensors or any of the electronics. Doesnt it beep continously when you have tow trailer in place and are backing up.? I see you sjust spliced the wires , i want to add the 7pin to 4pin adapter for more cleaner connection, any input on that.?

The rear sensors are not impacted by the install, my gallery on rennlist has pictures of the mechanics not the electrics tho

Hi Brent,

Hello,

Brent

I heard that the Tow hitch of a toureg is identical to the OEM cayenne hitch. It cost $200- $300 dollars less. Any input on this.?

So after you installed the curt hitch you didnt have to re-configure sensors or any of the electronics. Doesnt it beep continously when you have tow trailer in place and are backing up.? I see you sjust spliced the wires , i want to add the 7pin to 4pin adapter for more cleaner connection, any input on that.?

Hi Brent,

Hello,

Brent

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I want to highlight my experience installing a CURT hitch on my 2005 Porsche Cayenne and the Porsche wiring harness and control unit. I bought a Pace trailer and wanted the lights to work, so I installed the Porsche OEM wiring harness and new control unit.

You will need these parts:

1) Porsche Part 955-618-040-10 Control Unit

2) Porsche 955-612-506-00 Wiring Harness

3) PNA-955-118-93 trailer hitch Connector (this is the 7 pin Pollak connector) This is where the factor wiring harness plugs into at the center of the bumper hitch location so you can plug in a trailer harness. This is just a socket connector, weatherproof with a cover)

4) PNA 955-127-08 7-4 way Adapter (this just converts the 7 way adaptor to a 4 pin adapter)

PNA-955-118-93 is the same thing as Pollak 11-893P 7 way sealed RV OEM Socket that you can buy on amazon.com for 11.60

Also will need Pollak Mounting Bracket for Pollak 7-pole Rv Style Trailer PK12711U

5) PK12711U Mounting Bracket for Pollak 7-Pole, RV-Style Trailer Connector - Vehicle End

6) 18140 No-Drill Mount Bracket, Short (to install the socket bracket to the curt hitch without drilling)

First, you should have the proper tools to take off plastic trim pieces without breaking anything. You should have patience and have experience working with cars, otherwise this can turn out to be a very difficult project. Not for a novice.

To remove the bumper you have to take off the taillights since there is a screw located there. Then there are screws found in the wheel well and under the bumper. There is one screw in the wheel well that is hidden from sight and you have to bend the plastic trim piece to get access to it. After removing the bumper you will see the location of large bolts on each side of the metal bumper that you will remove and then install the Curt hitch. The Curt directions are good so use that has a guide.

As for installing the Porsche wiring harness this is what I noted. The wiring harness itself is simple to install since the connectors just snap in. One connector is colored green and this matched the green socket that it plugs into and the other black connector goes into the new control unit. There is already a purple connector prewired in the cayenne that plugs into this control unit. Once you have these plugged, everything will work when a trailer is connected to the car and only if a trailer is connected to the car. The control unit can sense if something is connected.

Getting the wiring harness and control unit installed was a little harder. If you don't have a CD changer installed you should be able to use remove the little trim piece in the truck on the passenger side , it just comes off, and reach in there and install the new control unit and plug the new wiring harness into this. You can see the prewired purple connector sitting there wrapped in grey foam and it's located right where the control unit will be installed. However if you have a CD changer you will need to open up trim pieces and this is the hard part.

One way to do this is to take out the carpeting in the trunk floor, you will see screws for the tie down clips and 1-2 other screws. Then you will see screws for the sidewall carpeting. Then take off the top center light located on the ceiling, and pop off the top passenger side trim using plastic trim removal tools. Be very carefull because if you use too much force you will break the plastic clips on the trim pieces. There is also a screw on the side wall coat hanger. After popping off the side trim piece near the window (d pillar) you can bend the side carpet trim piece in the trunk outward so you can get you hands in the location of the new control unit mount. There is a piece of black vertical plastic that the new control unit just gets attached to with 1 screw. Very easy and the location of this is exactly where the purple connector is, which is wrapped in grey foam.

You will also need these two parts to install the 7 pin socket to the back of the car. The PK12711U mounting bracket is a metal bracket that perfectly fits the pollak socket and since it's very hard to drill into the metal of the Curt trailer hitch you are better off getting part 18140 which makes the install very quick. If you have all these parts then the installation will go very smoothly.

PK12711U Mounting Bracket for Pollak 7-Pole, RV-Style Trailer Connector - Vehicle End

18140 No-Drill Mount Bracket, Short

I got both from a website called etrailer.

Lesson learned,

I could have installed the control unit without removing the carpeting and trim pieces, but I didn't know better. The location of the new control unit mount and the purple connector were visible and I could reach it with my hands.

Using the factory wiring harness and new control unit work great. There is no need to program anything using a Porsche computer. Everything was plug and play.

The time I spent doing this was not worth it. It would have been better to get the parts on my own and just give it to a dealer to install or have an aftermarket porsche guy install it.

Unless you like to work on your car and don't care about how long it takes, it's worth it to pay someone to do it.

Edited by 97boxsterred

BTW, Cayenne TT 06

Finally got brake lights working with factory hitch and prodigy P2 brake controller. Bought hitch kit from Porsche dealer

had independent garage install it several months ago. Decided to add aftermarket brake controller to the mix.

Purchased the mating 4 pin connector from the VW dealer, 1J0-972-782 as well as 000-979-228-E wire set.

Installed the terminated wires into the connector, sniped the loops and spliced the wire ends onto the Prodigy harness.

There are many posts about the location of the factory brake controller pigtail location under the dash

and the wire colors for the various signals, just match function to function.

Result;

Trailer brakes worked great, running and turn lights work but no brake lights.

Solution;

had the Porsche supplied trailer light controller (that came with hitch) updated then re-flashed with USA hex.

The light controller now operates both turn signal filaments when brakes are applied.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello,

Brent

For the record, this part number is still valid (as we all know part number changes from time to time), needed it as my hitch kit didn't come with it.

Thanks!
Keoni.
Edited by tuscani66

• 5 years later...

I have a 2004 cayenne turbo that was not pre-wired like later models. Has anyone ran the needed wires to connect to CAN system and fuse box and if you would have any guidance or wiring guide to do so.