Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Boxster rear control arms (suspension noise)

Hi folks, Let me first say thank goodness for this website...I was about to pay 620.00 for a set of rear control arms (986.331.043.07) due to the worn out bushing that's making a helluva racket on turns and bumps, but found 3 alternatives to buyuing OEM.

1. Member "Boxsterfahrer" has DIY for repair of the control arm...(didn't try it but the posts indicated it works).

2. Member CJBoxster found an aftermaket adjustable control ams on Ebay...(go to ebay and do search for boxster control arms $250.00 for the pair), didn't see too much info regarding the longevity of this part..but he said it looked and felt pretty heavyduty, only draw back it's that they're adjustable so you have to adjust then install them.

3. I found a Porsche shop in miami that rebuilts the arms for 149.00 each Vertexauto.com (looks reasonable and they come with a 3 year warranty).

Here's the link: http://www.vertexauto.com/ShowItem/128301%...rack%20Arm.aspx

Regards,

Kamran

Edited by Loren
Corrected link

Hi folks, Let me first say thank goodness for this website...I was about to pay 620.00 for a set of rear control arms (986.331.043.07) due to the worn out bushing that's making a helluva racket on turns and bumps, but found 3 alternatives to buyuing OEM.

1. Member "Boxsterfahrer" has DIY for repair of the control arm...(didn't try it but the posts indicated it works).

2. Member CJBoxster found an aftermaket adjustable control ams on Ebay...(go to ebay and do search for boxster control arms $250.00 for the pair), didn't see too much info regarding the longevity of this part..but he said it looked and felt pretty heavyduty, only draw back it's that they're adjustable so you have to adjust then install them.

3. I found a Porsche shop in miami that rebuilts the arms for 149.00 each Vertexauto.com (looks reasonable and they come with a 3 year warranty).

Regards,

Kamran

Hi Kamran...

I cannot access your link.

Do you think you can paste it again using the 'insert link' option above?

Best,

Gus

Edited by gandrade1

Regards,

Kamran

Kamran,

What kind of noise was it making? Clunking, grinding, or creaking like an old box spring? My drivers side rear creaks like an old box spring over bumps & during ingress / egress. I was diagnosed with needing sway bar links, but it sounds more like an arm issue to me...

Kamran,

What kind of noise was it making? Clunking, grinding, or creaking like an old box spring? My drivers side rear creaks like an old box spring over bumps & during ingress / egress. I was diagnosed with needing sway bar links, but it sounds more like an arm issue to me...

Check your balljoints. If they are the culprit, you can inject grease or gear lube with a syringe into the boot and the squeek will go away!

Kamran,

Check your balljoints. If they are the culprit, you can inject grease or gear lube with a syringe into the boot and the squeek will go away!

Thanks! I will try it.

Well folks, the saga of the creaking/rumbling sound is finally solved (it sounded like a bad cv joint). The after market motor mount that I bought from cheetahonline failed 11 months after installation. I only replaced the rear struts, the control arms and the air injector pump, thank god I bought the pump used cause it costs 1350 bucks. Anyways it was the mount that was making that noise..the rubber grommet or cushion slipped out from around the solid aluminum core and resulted in a metal to metal contact. This was sold as a lifetime mount...sheesh, what a joke. I posted pics...do a search for cheetahonline.

Edited by kamran66

Well folks, the saga of the creaking/rumbling sound is finally solved (it sounded like a bad cv joint). The after market motor mount that I bought from cheetahonline failed 11 months after installation. I only replaced the rear struts, the control arms and the air injector pump, thank god I bought the pump used cause it costs 1350 bucks. Anyways it was the mount that was making that noise..the rubber grommet or cushion slipped out from around the solid aluminum core and resulted in a metal to metal contact. This was sold as a lifetime mount...sheesh, what a joke. I posted pics...do a search for cheetahonline.

Did you install the mount your self or was this done at a local shop? Haven't seen any other reports of this problem so just curious.

I installed the replacement mount myself but the issue is that Cheetahonline mount uses a soft rubber bushing...the car heats up the aluminum mount and the rubber bushing slips around/out of the metal core of the mount...If you notice the OEM and Pedros mounts are potted in but this one the rubber bushing is not held in by anything..it is a design flaw in my opinion.

Here are two pictures of the Vertex Control arm replacement and the OEM part with the rubber boot removed. I installed one/ right side to resolve a clunking rattle. I also "did" the boxsterfarher fix but in my case it only worked for several hundred miles. I believe the swivel joint in the arm was well out of spec. Hence the nail punch fix was ineffective.

Installation was a bit harder than the OEM (which is a very easy) as the bushings in the Vertex arm do not flex (L/R) so alignment of the bolt thru the joint into the captive nut required some persuasion .post-6095-1244927741_thumb.jpg,post-6095-1244927760_thumb.jpg

RJG1

01 S

Here are two pictures of the Vertex Control arm replacement and the OEM part with the rubber boot removed. I installed one/ right side to resolve a clunking rattle. I also "did" the boxsterfarher fix but in my case it only worked for several hundred miles. I believe the swivel joint in the arm was well out of spec. Hence the nail punch fix was ineffective.

Installation was a bit harder than the OEM (which is a very easy) as the bushings in the Vertex arm do not flex (L/R) so alignment of the bolt thru the joint into the captive nut required some persuasion .post-6095-1244927741_thumb.jpg,post-6095-1244927760_thumb.jpg

RJG1

01 S

Nice post...please post a follow up about their relaibility..thanks.

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem, with the noise on the rear. Lifted the car checked everything, nothing is loose, broken or nothing. But I have noticed that after i wash the car i always spray WD-40 to lubricate everything and to make it easier to clean next time, the noise goes away for a while, also when is raining and water is running underneath the car the noise is gone also. The description of the noise is a clunk when going over humps ect. 2001 Boxster non S. I will appreciatte any help.

The Lonely Sailor