Notice - There are less than 4 weeks left until our annual server lease is due for renewal - and we are currently at 80% of funds needed to renew.
Please donate to help keep this site running -- donate here.

Call for Donations - All new donations go towards our 2014-2015 operating expenses. Please consider an ANNUAL donation to help keep this site operating. Click here to Donate

Photo

Rear Bose Subwoofer Deck

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 usaf-lt-g

usaf-lt-g

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 373 posts
Neutral

Posted July 20, 2009 - 11:53 AM

Well the polarity of the woofers should be easily to figure out if necessary, I can just swap the + / - to give it a reverse wave. Below are some pictures of my setup:

Stripped the front out to run the new wires to the front trunk.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Doors

Posted Image

Posted Image

Finished Front

Posted Image

Posted Image

Console

Posted Image

All the original Crap I had to pull out that was poorly done by someone else...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Nokia DSP Module that needed to be removed to make way for the re-located HVAC unit (The DSP controls the factory amp that was removed)

Posted Image

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2000 Boxster S 3.2L 6-Speed Manual
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Silver Exterior
Black Interior with Silver Trim
Upgraded Headlights to Litronics with clear side markers and motor electronics
Upgraded to Phillips Silver Bulbs
De-Ambered Litronic Headlights
Upgraded Side Markers - Clear
Upgraded 3rd Brake Light - Clear
Upgraded Rear Lights - Red / Clear
Upgraded Interior RearView Mirror - AutoDimming
Upgraded Exterior RearView Mirror - AutoDimming
Upgraded Rear Porsche Speakers - 4x JL Audio TR-350CXi
Upgraded Front Dash Speakers - MB Quartz PVI-210
Upgraded Door Woofers - JL ZR-650CSi
Dynomat'd doors
Alpine IVA-W505 with NVE/P1 Navigation System, Bluetooth, and XM SAT Radio
Upgraded Factory 6 Ch. Haes amp to 1x JL Audio 300 / 4 Amp and 1x JL Audio 300 / 2 Amp

-=USAF-LT-G=-

#22 demick

demick

• Members
  • 33 posts
Neutral

Posted July 20, 2009 - 11:58 AM

rewire the Bose box with the two original woofers in series so that I can drive them from my new amp (with active LP filter), and see then how they sound.

From what I have gathered, it is possible that the original bose subs are ~2 ohms each, but are wired in parallel (as a single channel), giving ~1 ohm impedance for the pair, which would be too low of impedance for most any aftermarket amplifier.

But if this is true, you could simply rewire the subs inside the enclosure from parallel to serial, then giving a total impedance of ~4 ohms. Perfect to be driven by an aftermarket amplifier (mono subwoofer channel), without having to do any speaker rewiring inside the car.

If you wanted to rewire the car, then you could run them in stereo, each off of their own channel, at 2 ohms each.

However, since I've never had the stock bose rear speakers, I am unable to verify the wiring or impedance of the original speakers. This is just speculation on what I have been able to gather.
Demick
'04 Boxster S

#23 usaf-lt-g

usaf-lt-g

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 373 posts
Neutral

Posted July 20, 2009 - 12:08 PM

rewire the Bose box with the two original woofers in series so that I can drive them from my new amp (with active LP filter), and see then how they sound.

From what I have gathered, it is possible that the original bose subs are ~2 ohms each, but are wired in parallel (as a single channel), giving ~1 ohm impedance for the pair, which would be too low of impedance for most any aftermarket amplifier.

But if this is true, you could simply rewire the subs inside the enclosure from parallel to serial, then giving a total impedance of ~4 ohms. Perfect to be driven by an aftermarket amplifier (mono subwoofer channel), without having to do any speaker rewiring inside the car.

If you wanted to rewire the car, then you could run them in stereo, each off of their own channel, at 2 ohms each.

However, since I've never had the stock bose rear speakers, I am unable to verify the wiring or impedance of the original speakers. This is just speculation on what I have been able to gather.

Yea I have no idea what the impedenance is on the subwoofers. But I'm more than 90% on replacing these anyways with something aftermarket, ensuring ~4ohms. There's no WAY I plan on frying my high-end amps.
Silver Exterior
Dynomat'd doors
Upgraded Factory 6 Ch. Haes amp to 1x JL Audio 300 / 4 Amp and 1x JL Audio 300 / 2 Amp

-=USAF-LT-G=-

#24 usaf-lt-g

usaf-lt-g

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 373 posts
Neutral

Posted July 20, 2009 - 12:13 PM

Believe it or not... the JL ZR650 6.5" woofers I have in the doors, actually put out some "decent" bass. However, in my opinion, it's still not as full of a sound as it should be. I don't plan to "blast off the moon" with bass, but the goal is to make a well-balanaced high-end system capable of producing a full sound even with the top down. Right now the highs and mids are crystal clear with the top down at highway speeds. But the lower sounds are still much to be wanted from the system. I've tuned, re-tuned, and re-tuned some more to get the most out of the speakers I have already, but again... there's still a gap missing in the sound spectrum and I want it to maintain the "factory look" but with the high-end audio.

Silver Exterior
Dynomat'd doors

-=USAF-LT-G=-

#25 juniinc

juniinc

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 1,232 posts
Neutral

Posted July 20, 2009 - 12:31 PM

there are many after market amps out there stable at as low as 1/2 ohm,,,,,phoenix gold,PPI,Orion+ especially running a pair of subs, U don't really want them to be 4ohm load, usually they are bridged mono in 2ohm load.

#26 AB986

AB986

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 15 posts
Neutral

Posted July 21, 2009 - 01:21 PM

Below are some pictures of my setup

Neatly done and inspiring. Thanks for the pictures. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

#27 usaf-lt-g

usaf-lt-g

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 373 posts
Neutral

Posted July 22, 2009 - 02:29 PM

For those wishing to partake in replacing the speakers on the BOSE base box. I've measured the dimensions. The total Diameter of the BOSE Woofers (including the outer ring basket) = 5.875" (inches) The actual speaker itself (minus the basket) is really only = 4.75" (inches) However, there is still some room to play with. The 2 Tweeters (or mid-range? I'm not really sure what to call them) Meausre out to be = 2.75" (inches) and fits in a snug square box. I got the dimensions of the Focal 5" WS 13 sub-woofers. They measure 5.921" (inches) in diameter including the screw holes. And 3.52" (inches) deep. Plenty of room to work with there. I propose the following. Using a dremel, I'm going to remove the 2 tweeter boxes... there's plenty of room where those boxes fit, and plenty of room to fit a bigger mid-range speaker. I'm then going to cut a speaker ring and place it on the inside of the factory tweeter grille that will fit my JL Audio TR-3.5" mid-ranges currently in my speaker box. I'll glue that to the frame. Then i'll simply plug and play the Focal 5" WS 13 sub-woofers for the factory ones, and reverse the polarity if necessary. Keep in mind, the rest of the system is already done, so I'll wire the 2 new JL Audio 3.5" speakers to the factory rear speaker harness (since that's already connected as my rear channel and properly crossed over). And then the woofers will have private wiring run to the other JL 300 / 2 amp and tune as appropriate. If all goes well, this should be a successful setup, and I anticipate it sounding clear and crisp.

Silver Exterior
Dynomat'd doors

-=USAF-LT-G=-

#28 atta

atta

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 78 posts
Neutral

Posted October 28, 2009 - 04:45 AM

If all goes well, this should be a successful setup, and I anticipate it sounding clear and crisp.

How did it go? :)

Atle

#29 Cloudsurfer

Cloudsurfer

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 194 posts
Neutral

Posted October 28, 2009 - 08:25 AM

If you want decent bass in the car, just build a small sealed enclosure into the passenger footwell. I am running a JL 8W0 in mine, along with 6 1/2's in the doors (I have Hertz MLK3 system), and even on the highway, top down, the sound in incredible. See pics.

Attached Thumbnails

• _DSC0017.jpg
    - Zoom Active -

#30 demick

demick

• Members
  • 33 posts
Neutral

Posted October 29, 2009 - 07:42 AM

Very nice sub install! Do you have any more pictures showing the box, how it was made, secured, etc?

Demick
'04 Boxster S

#31 nota911

nota911

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 13 posts
Neutral

Posted August 20, 2012 - 03:09 AM

Apologies for resurrecting this ancient thread, but did any of you who have this enclosure ever measure the maximum vertical and horizontal mounting space available where the woofers are situated? I would love to fit 2 8" low profile woofers (probably unlikely), or 6.5" midbass drivers. The idea is to completely gut its internals, stiffen it with GRP, and try to tune it with stuffing and some manipulation of the port. Another idea I was toying with was to put a 10" subwoofer in the center of the box, but I quickly concluded that's a non starter.

#32 nota911

nota911

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 13 posts
Neutral

Posted August 20, 2012 - 03:09 AM

Forgot the important question - how do I get the enclosure out of the car?

Edited by nota911, August 20, 2012 - 04:30 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

The RennTech.org site is Member supported!   Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org    Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org