Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

98 Boxster - won't let me in. HELP!

Well here is the situation. just purchased the 98 Boxster about 2 weeks ago went away on vacation for a week and when I come back It won't open. At first I thought the battery on the key was weak so I went and replaced it, that did not work. then I thought the battery on the car was weak so I went on line and found that on the driver's side front wheel area I could find the cable to open the hood to get to the battery. Found the cable, removed the battery, had it charged and I thought problem resolved. Well I was wrong I connected the battery to the car, the alarm started sounding, lights started flashing, but the key still did not work. I tried inserting it in the door and turning it from side to side, I tried the key-less entry button, but nothing worked. It just won't let me in. Please help me I don't know what else to do.

Well here is the situation. just purchased the 98 Boxster about 2 weeks ago went away on vacation for a week and when I come back It won't open. At first I thought the battery on the key was weak so I went and replaced it, that did not work. then I thought the battery on the car was weak so I went on line and found that on the driver's side front wheel area I could find the cable to open the hood to get to the battery. Found the cable, removed the battery, had it charged and I thought problem resolved. Well I was wrong I connected the battery to the car, the alarm started sounding, lights started flashing, but the key still did not work. I tried inserting it in the door and turning it from side to side, I tried the key-less entry button, but nothing worked. It just won't let me in. Please help me I don't know what else to do.

Minitrax:

It's not as hopeless as it sounds, although once you get in, you are going to have to investigate the cause.

It is possible to insert a rubber wedge in between the back vertical edge of the passenger (or driver) side window and then use a wire hanger to pull on the inner door handle to unlock the doors.

Not easy, but possible. You will think that the window is going to break when you force the wedge in, but it won't, it can take a lot of force before it shatters. Worse that can hapen is that the window would shatter anyway. (YMMV, use at your own risk, etc.) Be patient, and you don't have to open a large space to get the wire in.

Was your car parked outside, and did it rain while you were gone? If so, and if your convertible top drains were clogged, that could explain the malfunctioning of the locks and of the remote. Check to see if there is any moisture or water under and/or behind the driver's seat. Your central alarm control unit ("immobiliser") may have gotten wet.

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks for the help, I have not been able to clear out the garage, so yes the car was outside and it did get some rain. I will try the wire hanger suggestion although it seems like it will take a lot of patience and a great amount of luck. Thanks again for the help.

Thanks for the help, I have not been able to clear out the garage, so yes the car was outside and it did get some rain. I will try the wire hanger suggestion although it seems like it will take a lot of patience and a great amount of luck. Thanks again for the help.

Minitrax:

It's not that difficult, believe me. Just take your time and get the window separated just enough to be able to slip in the wire hanger. Bend the end of the wire hanger so that it can hook around the inner door handle and pull on it gently (twice if the red light indicating "doors locked" is on.

Regards, Maurice.

Hi Maurice,

Thanks for the help I did get the car to open. I was hoping you could help me with another problem, I got the car to start and everthing works exsept the key. When I isert the key in the door it does not work, nor does the keyless entry. What can I do to fix it?

Thanks,

Erick from Miami

Hi Maurice,

Thanks for the help I did get the car to open. I was hoping you could help me with another problem, I got the car to start and everthing works exsept the key. When I isert the key in the door it does not work, nor does the keyless entry. What can I do to fix it?

Thanks,

Erick from Miami

Erick:

Check the central alarm control unit under the driver's seat. Check for moisture or water in that vicinity and under the carpet behind the driver's seat.

Also check the small fuse at the rear of the alarm control unit (15 amp, IIRC).

Regards, Maurice.