Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2005 Turbo S wheelspin / judder under hard acceleration

Hi, I very rarely use the performance in my 2005 Turbo S and have only done about 3,000 miles in it so do not really know what is normal and what isn't when it comes to using the power on offer. However, I opened the throttle fully last week in 6th gear accelerating between 100 and 120 mph and had to back off the throttle due to a judder that was felt from the rear of the car. Even though the conditions were dry I thought that it was wheelspin, but now I'm not so sure because it just doesn't seem right that a car with 4WD should do this. The only other occasion that this is happened is when I accelerated at full throttle in 3rd gear but I was less surprised about that because of the ferocious power delivery that the car has. The car has just had a clutch replacement and this problem was not apparent prior to that because I think that the clutch was slipping ever so slightly and taking the edge off the power delivery.

Does anybody have any idea whether this is 'normal' or if there is likely to be a problem with the car? For information the car will easily hold 1.0 bar boost but I'm sure that I have seen 1.2 bar indicated (may have been a pressure spike).

Thanks in advance for your suggestions,

Danny Tattersall.

Hi, I very rarely use the performance in my 2005 Turbo S and have only done about 3,000 miles in it so do not really know what is normal and what isn't when it comes to using the power on offer. However, I opened the throttle fully last week in 6th gear accelerating between 100 and 120 mph and had to back off the throttle due to a judder that was felt from the rear of the car. Even though the conditions were dry I thought that it was wheelspin, but now I'm not so sure because it just doesn't seem right that a car with 4WD should do this. The only other occasion that this is happened is when I accelerated at full throttle in 3rd gear but I was less surprised about that because of the ferocious power delivery that the car has. The car has just had a clutch replacement and this problem was not apparent prior to that because I think that the clutch was slipping ever so slightly and taking the edge off the power delivery.

Does anybody have any idea whether this is 'normal' or if there is likely to be a problem with the car? For information the car will easily hold 1.0 bar boost but I'm sure that I have seen 1.2 bar indicated (may have been a pressure spike).

Danny Tattersall.

A "judder?" How violent? Shouldn't be wheel spin at those speeds, car doesn't have that much HP unless it's been highly modified or the tires are badly worn.

Danny Tattersall.

A "judder?" How violent? Shouldn't be wheel spin at those speeds, car doesn't have that much HP unless it's been highly modified or the tires are badly worn.

Hi, the judder is severe enough for me to back off the throttle rather than just trying to accelerate through it. I agree that it should not be wheelspin at those speeds but that is the only thing that I can think of that it is similar too i.e. the wheels slipping and then gripping. The tyres have only done a couple of thousand miles and have lots of tread left on them. Someone on another forum said that it could be the joint where the drive shaft meets the transmission. What do you guys reckon?

Thanks again,

Danny.

Danny,

Is there anyway it could be a misfire. I had something similar (the whole back end shook like h$ll under full acceleration). The 1st time it happaned I got ABS/PSM and CEL light. After I turned the car off and back on the lights were gone, but still stuttered under full acceleration, most of the time with no CEL or ABS/PSM lights.

Changed my plugs and MAF the car rips like normal.

Did you read this by chance

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=24413

Danny Tattersall.

Edited by fdorn

Danny,

Is there anyway it could be a misfire. I had something similar (the whole back end shook like h$ll under full acceleration). The 1st time it happaned I got ABS/PSM and CEL light. After I turned the car off and back on the lights were gone, but still stuttered under full acceleration, most of the time with no CEL or ABS/PSM lights.

Changed my plugs and MAF the car rips like normal.

Did you read this by chance

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=24413

Hi, it does not feel like a missfire at all. The check engine lights and PSM lights are not illuminated and there are no fault codes stored. The car has just had a new clutch fitted but the guy that replaced it is very thorough, and really knows his stuff, so I doubt that it is anything to do with that. I am thinking about waiting for a dry day and trying the car with the PSM switched off to see if it is related to the tractioc control because I have noticed the PSM cutting in a couple of times and braking one of the front wheels when negotiating a particular left hand bend on my way to work at relatively modest speeds. The rear tyres are Falken FK452, instead of the approved N rated tyres, but have pretty good reviews and hopefully are not the cause of the problem.

Thanks again for the suggestions so far,

Danny.

Seems like a simple solution no-one's brought up, but have you double-checked your wheel balancing? Does the judder stop as soon as you lift off the throttle or does it continue until you slow down?

Good luck!

Ruben

Hi, the wheel balancing is fine. The problem is only apparent under hard acceleration and is not speed related. I cited the fact that the problem exists in 6th gear at high speed to negate some of the things that you would only expect in the lower gears where axle tramp and wheel spin etc are more likely. The fact that it does it at such high speeds in top gear makes it pretty unusual. It could just be that the power of the car is so high that it is struggling to lay the power down effectively,however, as I have never driven another 911 turbo I have nothing to compare it with. Perhaps owners of modified cars could advise how well their vehicles cope with getting the power down in the higher gears? I believe that my car may have had a remap since it boosts at 1.0 bar without fully opening the throttle and, as stated previously, will probably easily reach 1.2 bar at WOT.

Thanks again everybody,

Danny.

Danny Tattersall.

Hey Danny.. Interesting that you mentioned what's happening to your car. I have a 997 TT with upgraded HP to above 630 hp. It was running fine.. so spinning of wheels on hard acceleration on any gear. just 2 days ago I've noticed that when I accelerate (all gears) the engine just revvs up to 7,000... even when I change gears I feel like I have no traction....

I could not figure out if this is a result of spinning wheels or is it just the engine is disconnecting from the drive train (the power is not being transferred to the wheels)?? I am still surprised at all this..

I have a clutch Master Stage III Kevlar clutch installed but it was running fine and broken in very nicely...

This may sound stupid but I have noticed this after I got the car washed.. I even got some screching sound that belts make when they are wet.. some say that is normal after heavy rain or too thourough of a wash... is it a coincidence... I'm taking to the dealer tomorrow to see what they think.. will keep you posted..

However, it could be belt slippage or clutch slippage... ( i'm guessing)

Danny Tattersall.

Hey Danny.. Interesting that you mentioned what's happening to your car. I have a 997 TT with upgraded HP to above 630 hp. It was running fine.. so spinning of wheels on hard acceleration on any gear. just 2 days ago I've noticed that when I accelerate (all gears) the engine just revvs up to 7,000... even when I change gears I feel like I have no traction....

I could not figure out if this is a result of spinning wheels or is it just the engine is disconnecting from the drive train (the power is not being transferred to the wheels)?? I am still surprised at all this..

I have a clutch Master Stage III Kevlar clutch installed but it was running fine and broken in very nicely...

This may sound stupid but I have noticed this after I got the car washed.. I even got some screching sound that belts make when they are wet.. some say that is normal after heavy rain or too thourough of a wash... is it a coincidence... I'm taking to the dealer tomorrow to see what they think.. will keep you posted..

However, it could be belt slippage or clutch slippage... ( i'm guessing)

Thanks for the reply, I would be very interested to hear what the dealer says about your car. The clutch on mine was replaced less than 1,000 miles ago so should be fine as I drive it very sedately the majority of the time. I think that my car's horsepower is far more than the 450 BHP that is quoted for the Turbo S though because it is a complete animal. I can not really use full power in anything below top gear because I have too much 'mechanical sympathy' to keep the accelerator to the floor while the rear end of the car is struggling to get the power down.

Regards,

Danny.

1.0 - 1.2 Bar, wheelspin at speed...sounds like the car is modded. Turbo S will see 0.8 Bar normally.

Hi Danyol, I was thinking that it could be modified too because the performance of this thing is phenomenal. It was perfectly dry conditions on the road on my way to work this morning so I switched the PSM off to see if it would stop the juddering / wheelspin........and it did!! It seems as though my PSM is too sensitive / intrusive. There is no Check Engine Light and there are no fault codes present but I have noticed that the PSM has applied a front brake on occasions when cornering at speeds that were well below what you would expect it to be needed. Does anybody have any idea what this could be? I am sure I have read somewhere that MAF sensors can cause PSM problems....

Thanks in advance,

Danny.