Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Upgrading the CDR-220 on my 1999 carrera 4

Hi,

I tried to do a search on this subject, but I could not find any help. I'm changing my CDR-220 to a JVC unit. I found the one I liked at Best Buy, but they did not have any wire kits for me. I tried Mobile One too ,but they didn't make them either.

Is there a wire kit that I can use with my car for an easy installation? If I have to manually do all the wires separately, how hard is it?

Thanks

Kristian

post-18320-1253123861_thumb.jpg

Edited by kristian

Hi,

I tried to do a search on this subject, but I could not find any help. I'm changing my CDR-220 to a JVC unit. I found the one I liked at Best Buy, but they did not have any wire kits for me. I tried Mobile One too ,but they didn't make them either.

Is there a wire kit that I can use with my car for an easy installation? If I have to manually do all the wires separately, how hard is it?

Thanks

Kristian

This guy may have a lead for you:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=19074

Mark

I replaced the Becker unit in my '01 Boxster S a year or so ago and I used a harness I ordered from Crutchfield that was for an Audi and worked perfectly. I forget exactly where I found the link to that particular harness. I did have to switch a few of the pins in the harness to get my rear speakers to work IIRC, but that was an add-on for the Boxster anyway. Your '99 C4 should be identical to my Box. If I can find the link to the harness I'll post it. Try searching the archives at PPBB.com I might have gotten it there.

Thanks guys for your help!

When you goto the Crutchfield website you have to specify exactly what year, make model and what options you have and they will get you the right harness. I had to choose "No navigation system" "with door speakers" .

Have anyone used this harnesses sucessfully to replace the CDR-220? If someone knows is it compatible with the Bose system for model 2002? Thanks.

gchu, the 2002 Bose is special. I just replaced the CDR200 in my 2002. I assume you're keeping the Bose amp and speakers, since otherwise you're starting from scratch.

To adapt an aftermarket head unit to the 2002 Bose amp, you start with the Crutchfield harness and...

1) Pull out and discard the RCA plugs/wires/pins from the red connector . The only wire that matters in the red connector is the blue one.

2) See the four greyish whitish wires in the black connector? Those are the speaker level wires and the Crutchfield connector only comes with four pins/wires (and four empty slots), so you need four more. The guys who sell the kit for Porsches here (Euromotorspeed) DO NOT include the appropriate wiring, they just provide the same Audi harness as Crutchfield. A fun discovery once everything is disassembled on a table :o . Not sure if the right sized pins are an off the shelf item so you could make your own.

3) Connect the new head unit's eight speaker wires (four channels x + and - ) to the eight wires in 2 above. Ignore any line level or subwoofer outputs on your head unit--the Bose amp manages all that stuff from just the four channel input.

4) Connect all the other wires per your head unit and the many installation instructions out there.

I just bought a unit from www.crutchfield.com

It's a JVC KD-HDR50 For $159.99

It includes the wire harness, antenna adaptor,two year warranty, shipping and no taxes. It's great since the same unit in Best Buy is the same price without taxes and without any of the extras. So I saved over $50.

I also have tech support available if I need it.

I chose the unit because it has HD radio built in and a flash drive plug in. The HD gives you cd quality radio and the plug in means I don't even have to burn CD's any more.

I will let you know how everything went after I get it and install it .

KL

gchu, the 2002 Bose is special. I just replaced the CDR200 in my 2002. I assume you're keeping the Bose amp and speakers, since otherwise you're starting from scratch.

To adapt an aftermarket head unit to the 2002 Bose amp, you start with the Crutchfield harness and...

1) Pull out and discard the RCA plugs/wires/pins from the red connector . The only wire that matters in the red connector is the blue one.

2) See the four greyish whitish wires in the black connector? Those are the speaker level wires and the Crutchfield connector only comes with four pins/wires (and four empty slots), so you need four more. The guys who sell the kit for Porsches here (Euromotorspeed) DO NOT include the appropriate wiring, they just provide the same Audi harness as Crutchfield. A fun discovery once everything is disassembled on a table :o . Not sure if the right sized pins are an off the shelf item so you could make your own.

3) Connect the new head unit's eight speaker wires (four channels x + and - ) to the eight wires in 2 above. Ignore any line level or subwoofer outputs on your head unit--the Bose amp manages all that stuff from just the four channel input.

4) Connect all the other wires per your head unit and the many installation instructions out there.

Edited by kristian

• 1 month later...

Stereo is great. The radio sounds much better than the original one because it has HD radio. It also tells you the song titles etc, like the original. The sound otherwise is not much different because everything goes through original amp. I really like the front USB port that allows me to use a thumb drive. Now I don't have to burn CD's any more. I can just download all the songs to my thumb drive and take plug it on the radio. I have an extra crutchfield harness if anybody is interested.

Kristian

I just bought a unit from www.crutchfield.com

It's a JVC KD-HDR50 For $159.99

It includes the wire harness, antenna adaptor,two year warranty, shipping and no taxes. It's great since the same unit in Best Buy is the same price without taxes and without any of the extras. So I saved over $50.

I also have tech support available if I need it.

I chose the unit because it has HD radio built in and a flash drive plug in. The HD gives you cd quality radio and the plug in means I don't even have to burn CD's any more.

I will let you know how everything went after I get it and install it .

KL

post-18320-1256491138_thumb.jpg

Edited by kristian