Call for Donations - All new donations go towards our 2014-2015 operating expenses. Please consider an ANNUAL donation to help keep this site operating. Click here to Donate

Photo

997 to Gen 2 led drl light conversion (front)

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 996turbotim

996turbotim

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 40 posts
Neutral

Posted March 29, 2010 - 01:02 PM

I just noticed this kit from Design911 in the UK: http://www.design911...-Running-Lamps/

Nice, but a bit pricy.

Hi rich, totally agree, saw these before i did my conversion and managed to achieve gen2 front end for same price as just the lights, the gen2 porsche lights were only £130ish each,
speak soon Tim

#22 Whiter00m

Whiter00m

• Members
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted March 29, 2010 - 01:57 PM

Hi Turbotim,

Very nice lights!

Looks like you have a complete new front and rear bumper in order to fit the gen2 led's is that correct?
Have you a rough figure on the total cost?

Cheers
WR

Hi there, Front bumper from ebay £80, plus £150 to paint, led drl £140 per side new, gen2 mini loom £25 per side new, grilles £25 per side new, headlight washers, £50 per side new, center duct £35 new, rad ducts £60 per side new, plus £200 to programme control unit and have it hacked, reprogramme and hack done by an official porsche centre mechanic, just under £1100 in total,
Rear was £350 per light, turbo bumper modded with top half of a damaged gen2 bumper, bumper £40 ebay, paint & plastic weld £400, reprogramme was in with front lights, didnt need to change rear control unit as my car is a 2007 my so £1140 all in, total cost was £2250 but was well worth it as car looks new, if you go down the route of new bumpers your looking £500 per bumper new, available from porscheshop.com, at the time i did mine the turbo facelift hadnt been released so as i had a turbo bumper already fitted it was cheaper to mod, the guy who did the lights is the only guy in the uk who can do the hack, ive just sold 2 front drls on ebay 2day for £250, there is currently an led rear light listed, as i said well worth it
regards Tim

Tim, Thanks for the detailed breakdown, its much appreciated and, may I say, very resourcefull of you.

Cheers

WR

#23 lunatica

lunatica

• Members
  • 15 posts
Neutral

Posted April 05, 2010 - 09:54 AM

Hi Turbotim,

Very nice lights!

Looks like you have a complete new front and rear bumper in order to fit the gen2 led's is that correct?

Cheers
WR

Hi there, Front bumper from ebay £80, plus £150 to paint, led drl £140 per side new, gen2 mini loom £25 per side new, grilles £25 per side new, headlight washers, £50 per side new, center duct £35 new, rad ducts £60 per side new, plus £200 to programme control unit and have it hacked, reprogramme and hack done by an official porsche centre mechanic, just under £1100 in total,
Rear was £350 per light, turbo bumper modded with top half of a damaged gen2 bumper, bumper £40 ebay, paint & plastic weld £400, reprogramme was in with front lights, didnt need to change rear control unit as my car is a 2007 my so £1140 all in, total cost was £2250 but was well worth it as car looks new, if you go down the route of new bumpers your looking £500 per bumper new, available from porscheshop.com, at the time i did mine the turbo facelift hadnt been released so as i had a turbo bumper already fitted it was cheaper to mod, the guy who did the lights is the only guy in the uk who can do the hack, ive just sold 2 front drls on ebay 2day for £250, there is currently an led rear light listed, as i said well worth it
regards Tim

Hi Tim - congrats!
I'm getting ready for the rear and front conversion of my '06 C2, couple of questions in regards to the front:
was going to order the factory Gen-2 bumper cover, center duct, R+L grilles, rad. ducts, washers,
- does the new bumper cover just bolt on like the Gen-1, or are modifications necessary?
To wire the new LED combo-lights:
- do I need a control modul to power the lights?
- If yes, do you have the parts-# ? is it 997 618 511 01 ???
- where in the front trunk do I have to look ?
- you mention R+L mini loom - can you explain some more how you did it and do you have the parts-# ?
THANKS for your help!
ralf

Hi ralf, you do need a new front control unit which needs some pins removing but i do not know how to do this as the guy who did mine for me kept it a secret as he is the only guy in the uk who can do it properly , and i guess knowledge is money, the module is on the drivers side front on a rhd car, the mini loom is the gen2 loom that connects to the gen2 lights, about 12 inches long, this needs to be spliced in to your existing loom, again i do not know the proceedure, will try and locate part numbers for you
, if you were in the uk i could have got work done for you,
regards Tim

Hi Tim,
Was trying to get the wiring diagrams from gen-1 and gen-2, in order to figure out the splicing, but so far was not able to find them. Do you think there is a chance that the mechanic who did yours would be willing to trade his knowledge for compensation and since I'm in the US (no competition)? Would you mind asking him when you have a chance?
Thank you,
ralf

#24 lunatica

lunatica

• Members
  • 15 posts
Neutral

Posted April 07, 2010 - 01:12 PM

Hi Turbotim,

Very nice lights!

Cheers
WR

regards Tim

Hi Tim - congrats!
I'm getting ready for the rear and front conversion of my '06 C2, couple of questions in regards to the front:
was going to order the factory Gen-2 bumper cover, center duct, R+L grilles, rad. ducts, washers,
- does the new bumper cover just bolt on like the Gen-1, or are modifications necessary?
- you mention R+L mini loom - can you explain some more how you did it and do you have the parts-# ?
THANKS for your help!
ralf

Hi ralf, you do need a new front control unit which needs some pins removing but i do not know how to do this as the guy who did mine for me kept it a secret as he is the only guy in the uk who can do it properly , and i guess knowledge is money, the module is on the drivers side front on a rhd car, the mini loom is the gen2 loom that connects to the gen2 lights, about 12 inches long, this needs to be spliced in to your existing loom, again i do not know the proceedure, will try and locate part numbers for you
regards Tim

Hi Tim,
Was trying to get the wiring diagrams from gen-1 and gen-2, in order to figure out the splicing, but so far was not able to find them. Do you think there is a chance that the mechanic who did yours would be willing to trade his knowledge for compensation and since I'm in the US (no competition)? Would you mind asking him when you have a chance?
Thank you,
ralf

UPDATE:
Since nobody seems be able to provide details exactly how to splice in the wire-harness connecting to the new LED dl's and how to re-pin the needed gen-2 front control box, and also my quest for obtaining wiring diagrams was without success,
I guess I found the EASY way out - ordered a prepared front-connecting kit (containing a control box and all needed wiring), plug-and-play, no extra coding needed. Available from Germany's reputable tuner ALBERT-Motorsports - the set cost w/out the 19% (!) german sales tax 270.- Euros + 45 Euros DHL to San Fran, which translates to $420. Not too bad, considering that also the factory control-module runs $250 and you don't need to pay a porsche mechanic for coding it. Go to:
www.albert-motorsport.de/fahrzeugkatalog/997/997-beleuchtung/997-led-update-schaltgeraete.html
I only ordered the front set, since the rear should work just fine with the "2009 2nd Gen LED Tail Light Kit" I ordered from SUNCOAST (btw, they also offer the brand new "clear" tail lights!):
www.suncoastparts.com/product/997G2.html?Category_Code=997lights

Cheers,
ralf

#25 p val

p val

• Members
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted April 22, 2010 - 04:15 AM

I just noticed this kit from Design911 in the UK: http://www.design911...-Running-Lamps/

Nice, but a bit pricy.

i have an 06 carrera S, if i get these lights will i need to change bumper and everything else or this is just plug-n-play

#26 PAULSPEED

PAULSPEED

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 1,440 posts
Excellent

Posted April 22, 2010 - 03:23 PM

Nice, but a bit pricy.

i have an 06 carrera S, if i get these lights will i need to change bumper and everything else or this is just plug-n-play

I would read all the posts again. I think you need
a control unit. This is alot of money for lights.
Paul
2006 997 S COUP / TIPTRONIC S / METALLIC SLATE GRAY / BOSE UPGRADE
SPORT CHRONO PACKAGE PLUS / SPEED YELLOW INSTRUMENT DIALS / 19" CARRERA SPORT WHEELS
LEATHER SPORT SEATS / REMOTE CD CHANGER / LEATHER SPORT STEERING WHEEL
SELF DIMMING MIRRORS / FIRE EXTINGUISHER

#27 p val

p val

• Members
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted April 23, 2010 - 03:50 PM

i read all previous post and i havent seen anyone witht hese light, has neone used these lights?

#28 Richard Hamilton

Richard Hamilton

Porsche 'Anorak'

• Contributing Members
  • 1,506 posts
Excellent

Posted April 24, 2010 - 07:56 AM

Nice, but a bit pricy.

As I understand it, it is a complete kit, ready to fit. No need to change bumper, or additional control units. I think it is expensive, based on what Tim has done, but he was lucky enough to know the right places, and the right people, to do it economically. If you are interested in that kit, I would suggest contacting Design911 and asking what is included, and if it is a complete with everything you need.
Richard
Current: 2012 Cayman 2.9 PDK in Meteor Grey, 1989 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe in Guards Red
Previous: 2006 Cayman S, 2000 996 Turbo, 1998 996 C2, 1994 993 C2

#29 lunatica

lunatica

• Members
  • 15 posts
Neutral

Posted June 02, 2010 - 02:43 PM

Hi Turbotim,

Very nice lights!

Cheers
WR

regards Tim

Hi Tim - congrats!
THANKS for your help!
ralf

regards Tim

Hi Tim,
Thank you,
ralf

UPDATE:
Since nobody seems be able to provide details exactly how to splice in the wire-harness connecting to the new LED dl's and how to re-pin the needed gen-2 front control box, and also my quest for obtaining wiring diagrams was without success,
I guess I found the EASY way out - ordered a prepared front-connecting kit (containing a control box and all needed wiring), plug-and-play, no extra coding needed. Available from Germany's reputable tuner ALBERT-Motorsports - the set cost w/out the 19% (!) german sales tax 270.- Euros + 45 Euros DHL to San Fran, which translates to $420. Not too bad, considering that also the factory control-module runs $250 and you don't need to pay a porsche mechanic for coding it. Go to:
www.albert-motorsport.de/fahrzeugkatalog/997/997-beleuchtung/997-led-update-schaltgeraete.html
I only ordered the front set, since the rear should work just fine with the "2009 2nd Gen LED Tail Light Kit" I ordered from SUNCOAST (btw, they also offer the brand new "clear" tail lights!):
www.suncoastparts.com/product/997G2.html?Category_Code=997lights

Cheers,
ralf

Hi everybody,
below some pictures of my "refreshed" 2006 / C2.
Front pix will follow soon!

Also, for sale an extra set of the "plug-and-play" wiring / control-box kits (front and rear) from ALBERT MOTORSPORT/ Gerrmany.
They really made my Gen-2 LED conversion a BREEZE!
Location: San Francisco / Price: $1000. If interested, contact me at:
email@lunatica.com
http://www.albert-mo...altgeraete.html

Cheers,
ralf

Edited by lunatica, June 04, 2010 - 09:12 PM.

#30 lunatica

lunatica

• Members
  • 15 posts
Neutral

Posted June 02, 2010 - 02:55 PM

...ooops, the photos! ralf

Attached Thumbnails

• 997_b.jpg
  • 997_a.jpg

#31 mesiste

mesiste

• Members
  • 11 posts
Neutral

Posted July 05, 2010 - 09:49 AM

HI Tim, would be able to put me in touch with the guy who changed the wiring for you? i would like to ask if he would do mine.
P.s the car looks great.

Hi Turbotim,

Very nice lights!

Cheers
WR

regards Tim

Hi Tim - congrats!
THANKS for your help!
ralf

regards Tim

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

The RennTech.org site is Member supported!   Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org    Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org