Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

My first Porsche, PES question

First of all I want to say hello to all of you. For more than 1 year I am following this very informative forum, because since I was a kid I promised myself to buy a Porsche 911 one day. Last week that wish became true. I received my MY07 997 cab after having searched for "the right one" for almost 6 months. The only compromises are the missing PES and missing park assist.

The car is still in excellent condition, with less than 8k miles. The previous owner took care of her, including a protecion film on the front, on the headlights and side mirrors of the car.

I really like the illuminated door entry guards. They look very nice when it's dark.

Enclosed some pictures of my new family member:

After having read the TSB about the PES retrofit here in this forum, I am convinced that I can install it myself with some help, because I want to turn it on/off with the sport chrono button.

As part of the "deal" I purchased the complete PES system (part # 997.044.200.02) at a fair price from the dealer I bought the car.

btw: for those who plan to buy the PES retrofit package for the 997/1, hurry up, because Porsche increased the standard price from ~$2,200 to ~$3,400. The part number was superseded into 997.044.201.03. There are only some few dealers left who have the PES with the old part number in stock …… and do not know that they cannot re-order it for the lower price.

Here are my questions:

1) Although there are some good explanations in the TSB, can somebody post some pictures about how the vacuum lines for the PES are laid and attached in the engine compartment ?

2) is the Engine Control Module exactly at the same place as on a 996 cabriolet ? (I am asking because I found some helpful post in the internet how to reach the ECU on a 996 cab, but no post for a 997 cabriolet so far)

3.) which one is chamber 14 of connector C

4.) which one is chamber 8 of connector A

Your help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

post-38901-1255390236_thumb.jpg

post-38901-1255390250_thumb.jpg

post-38901-1255390259_thumb.jpg

post-38901-1255390269_thumb.jpg

Very clean car. I cannot help. You may want to look into

a day of working on cars in your neighborhood.

I know thaty they do a few of these a year in

northern California.

Paul

Neighborhood ? What do you mean ?

I live in Michigan which is not much a Porsche invaded state like California, so unfortunately the Porsche community is missing here.

Congrats on the new car!

PSE is awesome! You really don't need to hook-up the on/off function IMHO. Makes the install that much easier. You will like the sport mode (loud) all the time. But, I know a lot of owners like the on/off function. It's personal choice, I understand.

I did see that the PSE pricing has gone WAY UP! I wondered about that. It is now 2X's the price I paid for the parts (from Sunset Porsche) over 2-years ago. I had the very first PSE retro-fit on a 987S in the USA in April of 2007.

You don't need park assist in a convertible! The top sould be down 99.5% of the time...and that makes it that much easier to see when parking!! :) Plus, it saves weight, and increases HP. :P

......You don't need park assist in a convertible! The top sould be down 99.5% of the time...and that makes it that much easier to see when parking!! :) Plus, it saves weight, and increases HP. :P

That's exactly why I want the park assist. That makes the car even more fast ....at least backwards. :D

Regarding the PES I heard it is sometimes too loud and annoying when the the top is down. Therefore I want to have the freedom to decide myself …. when I am going to wake up my neighbours on a Sunday morning.

That's exactly why I want the park assist. That makes the car even more fast ....at least backwards. :D

Regarding the PES I heard it is sometimes too loud and annoying when the the top is down. Therefore I want to have the freedom to decide myself …. when I am going to wake up my neighbours on a Sunday morning.

Touche! LOL.

It really is not that loud. When I leave my house at 5:00 AM on a Saturday or Sunday morning it's just fine. Plus, you get that nice cold-start-up gurgle! I keep her below 4,000 RPM until fully warmed-up, and by then I am nearing the clover-leaf and away from the sleeping neighbours.

Even after fitting the PSE yourself you will still need porsche to activate the control using the workshop PWIS unit. Depending on the age of your car there will be one of the wiring schemes that is suitable. The TSB for retro fitting the PSE is available for subscribing members of the site under the TSB downloads section. I would suggest if you are wiring this yourself to include an overide switch to allow the PSE to remain active at all speeds avoiding the 20 -40 mph cut out. This would involve placing a switch on the line back from the solenoid into the rear ECU/ DME.

I retro fitted the PSE to my boxster , the control unit and solenoid wiring is identical to the 997 (the rear DME and solenoid is the same part number) , the only difference being the physical location of the DME and solenoid. If you have a very early 997 (2004 model) the DME will not have the 20-40 mph cut out , though you will not be able to confirm this until the unit is wired up.

Once you have removed the plug terminal strip from the housing (they slide out sideways) you can see the plug is labelled with the chamber numbers. Make sure you buy repair pins from VW to populate the positions you want to connect to. If you use the wrong type of pin they don't locate properly and can be a devil to get out (see pic) Repair pins are a few cents each so not expensive and can be bought with wires or blank with either gold or standard contacts.

IMG_8910-1.jpg

IMG_8906.jpg

IMG_8911.jpg

Here is the plug and play kit I made up with overide switch

IMG_9036.jpg

One option to mount switch under handbrake

IMG_9223.jpg

Other option to mount in ashtray

IMG_0019.jpg

Edited by berty987

LUZY V8

Here are my questions:

1) Although there are some good explanations in the TSB, can somebody post some pictures about how the vacuum lines for the PES are laid and attached in the engine compartment ?

Did you ever get a pix or install instructions? If not, I have a pdf copy of the official Porsche install instructions. Email me and I will forward them to you.

Harvey in MD

Did you ever get a pix or install instructions? If not, I have a pdf copy of the official Porsche install instructions. Email me and I will forward them to you.

Harvey in MD

Hi harvey,

No unfortunately nobody posted somepics so far about how the PES vacuum lines are laid in the engine compartment.

The installation instruction I have, is the according TSB you can find in this forum.

I will send you a PM. Let´s see if you have some different than that.

Thanks for you help. :thankyou:

2) is the Engine Control Module exactly at the same place as on a 996 cabriolet ? (I am asking because I found some helpful post in the internet how to reach the ECU on a 996 cab, but no post for a 997 cabriolet so far)

I found a good link on how to access the engine control unit:

http://www.wit-usa.com/sms/db/smarttop/ext...997_v4.0/en.php

btw: I like that smartTop module

Edited by Luzy V8

I would love to see a pdf copy of this also, I also want to get the parts to make the PSE active and inactive with an overirde button. Could you email me a copy at kwuster@gmail.com many thanks.

LUZY V8

Here are my questions:

Harvey in MD

• Admin
I would love to see a pdf copy of this also, I also want to get the parts to make the PSE active and inactive with an overirde button. Could you email me a copy at kwuster@gmail.com many thanks.

LUZY V8

Here are my questions:

Harvey in MD

TSBs are available here for Contributing Members to view.

TSBs are copyrighted material of Porsche (PCNA) and Porsche AG.

I own my 997/1 for some weeks now and I love it. But it's hard to comply with the speed limits.

I have some questions which I didn't find any appropriate answer in the owner's manual:

#1) is there any way to set the headlights to turn on automatically when it's dark ? I don't drive with daytime-running-lights and I am wondering that in MY2007 cars you still need to turn on the headlights manually. Is it maybe a coding which can be chnaged with PIWIS or Durametric ?

#2) I wanted to see where the tire repair kit is, so I removed that cover in the trunk. I found the repair kit, but I was wondering why there were so many other empty spots. Even the towing lug is missing. Can you tell me what typically is in the two spots marked with red arrows in the attached photo ?

PS: Is there really nobody who could provide some photos about how the vacuum lines of the of the for the sport exhaust valve actuation are laid in the engine compartment. (Yes, I do have the TSB with the description, but real photos would help to avoid mistakes)

post-38901-1256588287_thumb.jpg

To enable the PSE to be on all the time pull the vacuum hiose with the red arrows. Make sure to plug both open connections to prevent debris.

Loren, I had the is picture saved from RennTeam.com. If that is not allowed my apologies and you can delete my post.

Phillipj

post-7267-1256589750_thumb.jpg

Edited by phillipj

To enable the PSE to be on all the time pull the vacuum hiose with the red arrows. Make sure to plug both open connections to prevent debris.

Thanks Phillipj. But I do not want to enable it all the time. I want to activate/deactivate according to spec.

My only interest is to see actual photos how the vacuum lines are routed from the mufflers through the engine compartment to the change-over valve. In the TSB it is described like "....Underneath filler neck for hydraulic oil→above air conditioning compressor→underneath fuel collection pipe (cylinders 4–6)→between intake pipe adapters for cylinders 4 and 5→rear muffler holder, right.

Auxiliary line for left rear muffler (997.111.612.00): Underneath filler neck for hydraulic oil→underneath throttle housing (electronic throttle adjuster)→intake air distributors for cylinders 1–3→rear muffler holder, left....

I would prefer how this actually looks like.