Notice - There are less than 4 weeks left until our annual server lease is due for renewal - and we are currently at 84% of funds needed to renew.
Please donate to help keep this site running -- donate here.

Call for Donations - All new donations go towards our 2014-2015 operating expenses. Please consider an ANNUAL donation to help keep this site operating. Click here to Donate

Photo

Front engine cover removal

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 triguy46

triguy46

• Members
  • 34 posts
Neutral

Posted October 22, 2009 - 04:53 PM

I've had the top cover off to change air filter and to nose around. Have read the DIYs on changing the serpentine belt and would like to open the front to inspect (2003 w/43K). Any trick to getting the front off? Can't see it mentioned anywhere. Top cover off first?

#2 ericinboca

ericinboca

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 478 posts
Neutral

Posted October 22, 2009 - 06:02 PM

I've had the top cover off to change air filter and to nose around. Have read the DIYs on changing the serpentine belt and would like to open the front to inspect (2003 w/43K). Any trick to getting the front off? Can't see it mentioned anywhere. Top cover off first?

The thick carpet thing behind the seats comes off - it has 5 or soe of those flat plastic nuts along the top that need to be removed, and then it tucks in tightly on teh sides - you just pull it out.

Once that is off, you will see the panel that removes. there are 10 or so screws around the perimeter, and then two nuts right in the middle where the transmission cables pass through. all 10mm if i remember correctly

Move boths seats as far forward as possible and then lean them forward to get access to the panel.

#3 triguy46

triguy46

• Members
  • 34 posts
Neutral

Posted October 22, 2009 - 06:04 PM

Gotcha. Thanks :D

The thick carpet thing behind the seats comes off - it has 5 or soe of those flat plastic nuts along the top that need to be removed, and then it tucks in tightly on teh sides - you just pull it out.

Once that is off, you will see the panel that removes. there are 10 or so screws around the perimeter, and then two nuts right in the middle where the transmission cables pass through. all 10mm if i remember correctly

Move boths seats as far forward as possible and then lean them forward to get access to the panel.

#4 jmatta

jmatta

• Members
  • 365 posts
Neutral

Posted October 24, 2009 - 12:41 PM

Here's a couple of pics to help visualize...neither are my car, as I've never had the panel off.

Attached Thumbnails

• Boxster_Belt.jpg
    - Zoom Active -
  • engine__Large_.JPG
    - Zoom Active -

Edited by jmatta, October 24, 2009 - 12:42 PM.

2002 Boxster S
1973 911 Green FrankenMeanie

#5 triguy46

triguy46

• Members
  • 34 posts
Neutral

Posted October 24, 2009 - 01:07 PM

I just did this an hour ago and inspected the serpentine belt. All is fine. Access is easy, thanks all.

#6 martialmedia

martialmedia

• Members
  • 95 posts
Neutral

Posted October 24, 2009 - 08:30 PM

It looks like we almost have the same car. Is that a Speed Yellow Boxster S? I just purchased a 2003 Speed Yellow Boxster S with 42,000 miles a few weeks ago. I thought I was special. ha.
Drive the S out of it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The RennTech.org site is Member supported!   Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org    Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org