Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Clattering at start up 997 C4S

Hello all!

I have just aquired a 2006 C4S with 10K miles on the clock. The car is excellent but makes a clattering noise from the engine on start up for about 10 seconds.

The noise only occurs when the engine is cold and there are no abnormal noises at all once the engine is warm.

Is this normal? I have had two Boxsters before (2.5 and 3.2) and neither exhibited this attribute!

Thanks for your help all and I would like to say what a great site!

Cheers,

Matt

Welcome to the Forum!

Is your oil level OK BEFORE you first crank the motor? You have to look at the little indicator just below the tach and wait till it stops cycling. These things don't come with proper dipsticks any more!

Edited by 355bhp

Hello all!

I have just aquired a 2006 C4S with 10K miles on the clock. The car is excellent but makes a clattering noise from the engine on start up for about 10 seconds.

The noise only occurs when the engine is cold and there are no abnormal noises at all once the engine is warm.

Is this normal? I have had two Boxsters before (2.5 and 3.2) and neither exhibited this attribute!

Cheers,

Matt

My 05 C2S has a rattle at startup that is the cold exhaust, lasts about the same time. I confirmed with the OPC that it's normal. Not sure if this is what you're experiencing, mine's definitely not a clatter.

I agree with phillipj, even if the car is out of warranty it may be worth 1/2 hr of tech time to have a mechanic look at it.

Mark

My 05 C2S has a rattle at startup that is the cold exhaust, lasts about the same time. I confirmed with the OPC that it's normal. Not sure if this is what you're experiencing, mine's definitely not a clatter.

I agree with phillipj, even if the car is out of warranty it may be worth 1/2 hr of tech time to have a mechanic look at it.

Mark

Me too. Good luck.

Welcome to the Forum!

Is your oil level OK BEFORE you first crank the motor? You have to look at the little indicator just below the tach and wait till it stops cycling. These things don't come with proper dipsticks any more!

Thanks for the warm welcome all!

I live in the UK and our warranty sadly doesnt cover 3 year old cars :angry:

The oil is full and after starting the 'ol girl in -3 deg C conditions this morning the noise certainly seems to be from the exhaust, oddly more from the right hand side (from the rear) than the left. Still, the noise was only present for a few seconds as usuall.

A trip to see our local independant is in order methinks.

Thanks all!

Hello,

My 2005 C2s has rattled when cold from new. Tends to lasy about 30 secs and fades to nothing after that and never happens when the motor is warm. It is related to the exhaust in my case, or so I am told. I took it back to the dealer when new, fearing that a baffle was loose in the exhaust. Perhaps that is what it is I dont know. I have been told it is part of the emissions system and is a normal charecteristic. Anyway it has always been consistent and has not led to any problems over the years. The only other ocasional more annoying issue is that one hydraulic tappet sometimes takes a while to settle, that is much more engine relates, a regular loud 'tap tap', that fades in a few moments. I tend to change the oil annually as this tends to occur about 12 months after an oil change. The UK service system says a 2 year/20000mile oil change period, an interval that I think is too long.

Mike

I've got the same exhaust system rattle in mine, and occasionally what sounds like a starter pinion over-run that lasts less than a second. I change the oil and filter (probably a little too often) at about every 5000 miles and run the car as hard as I can get away with on public roads, using 6-7K revs regularly. So far, nothing's exploded in 45K+ miles.

I had a similar noise a while back it turned out to be the ceramic insert inside of the catalytic converter. When I replaced the converter you could hear it "rattle" when you shook the converter back and forth. I wouldn’t call it a clatter but it was definitely annoying and especially loud when started up in the garage.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine "rattles" as they all do at start up for maybe 30 seconds more or less, dependent upon the ambient temp outside. Clattering could be another word for it and is normal on these cars. Was not an issue for the older Boxsters as my '01 didn't do it. (not sure about the newer ones.) However, not being there to hear it I think a trip to the dealer, as many have here have already suggested, would answer the question one way or the other. Having them take a listen will either put your mind at ease or let you know if it's a more ominous issue. Problem is you'll have to wait until the engine is dead cold to have them diagnose it. Means leaving it overnight I'm afraid. Don't suppose you have a fellow Pcar owner in the neighborhood that could give it listen at startup some morning? Maybe a nearby member of this forum ?

Hello all!

Cheers,

Matt

I have a 2005 C2S and have exactly the same issue. I have described as a clackety spound and also as a rattle. In my case it seems to last for 2 - 3 minutes. I have spoken to my local OPC about it and they tell me this is not abnormal. Seems a little odd to me but there you are!

Ellis

I have a 2005 C2S and have exactly the same issue. I have described as a clackety spound and also as a rattle. In my case it seems to last for 2 - 3 minutes. I have spoken to my local OPC about it and they tell me this is not abnormal. Seems a little odd to me but there you are!

Ellis

Where are you located, and what's the name of the dealer? Perhaps some of us in your area might wanna give him a try.

And welcome to the Forum!