Notice - There are less than 3 weeks left until our annual server lease is due for renewal - and we are currently at 93% of funds needed to renew.
Please donate to help keep this site running -- donate here.

Call for Donations - All new donations go towards our 2014-2015 operating expenses. Please consider an ANNUAL donation to help keep this site operating. Click here to Donate

Photo

Torx Sockets & the Porsche?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sullivas

sullivas

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 68 posts
Neutral

Posted December 16, 2009 - 02:11 PM

I'm a noob with my new-to-me 997. I have a vast collection of tools however no torx sockets. Does anyone know if standard USA torx sockets will fit the Porsche or is there a different type of Torx I need to get? Thanks.

#2 70Sixter

70Sixter

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 719 posts
Neutral

Posted December 16, 2009 - 02:17 PM

Torx is torx.

Mike
70 914-6 black over tan
04 Boxster S basalt/savanna, 6 spd, 18" Carrera lights, hard top, litronics
PCA since 1970

#3 PAULSPEED

PAULSPEED

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 1,440 posts
Excellent

Posted December 16, 2009 - 02:37 PM

Get male torx sockets. The only female torx you need is the one for removing the seats. I think it is a 10. Paul

2006 997 S COUP / TIPTRONIC S / METALLIC SLATE GRAY / BOSE UPGRADE
SPORT CHRONO PACKAGE PLUS / SPEED YELLOW INSTRUMENT DIALS / 19" CARRERA SPORT WHEELS
LEATHER SPORT SEATS / REMOTE CD CHANGER / LEATHER SPORT STEERING WHEEL
SELF DIMMING MIRRORS / FIRE EXTINGUISHER

#4 sullivas

sullivas

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 68 posts
Neutral

Posted December 16, 2009 - 02:50 PM

There are some Torx head cap screws in the engine bay, the idler pully has one and some other assemblies have a mix of Allen type and Torx. Sorry forgot to mention it's a 2005 C2 Carrera.

#5 1schoir

1schoir

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 2,760 posts
Outstanding

Posted December 16, 2009 - 03:42 PM

I'm a noob with my new-to-me 997. I have a vast collection of tools however no torx sockets.
Does anyone know if standard USA torx sockets will fit the Porsche or is there a different
type of Torx I need to get? Thanks.

I believe you may also need a female torx socket for the adjustment of the window resting height on the window regulator assembly.

Regards, Maurice.

#6 NelsonMX

NelsonMX

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 51 posts
Neutral

Posted December 20, 2009 - 06:02 PM

You will need a small set of torx bits, torx female sockets, and a few triple square bits......When I say a small set several companies sell a set of six popular sizes. In my case find I get away with three or four sizes in most instances. For the triple square, these are a 12 point bit used on an internal wrenching screw or bolt. So far I have seen them on seat bolts, engine torque links etc. I have used two, a 10mm and a 12mm. I have attached some examples from SK Tools...Hope this is of some help... Bob femtorx.jpg torxbt.jpg trisqrbt.jpg

NelsonMX

#7 sx797

sx797

• Members
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted January 23, 2011 - 02:24 PM

I have a 997.1 and I have needed the female Torx sockets for a variety of things: removing guard plate for coils/plugs, removing throttle body, etc. I got a set from Sears on-ine for $9.99, plus shipping.

#8 Cassiebox

Cassiebox

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 321 posts
Neutral

Posted January 25, 2011 - 06:55 AM

do yourself a favor too... for the male torx set, just go ahead and get the Safety Torx version (female hole in the center). Undoubtedly you will come across a safety torx screw somewhere and no sense carrying around two sets of identical sizes Actually, for convenience purposes, once you have a set of safety Torx bits, you'll end up leaving your std torx set on the bench or in the drawer permanently... :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The RennTech.org site is Member supported!   Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org    Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org