Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Ignition coils 04 and up

I happen to have a 04 Porsche Cayenne S and an 04 Audi A8L. We just got done shelling out 1500 bucks for the blown ignition coils in the Porsche when I got a recall notice in the mail for my Audi for the exact same issue. Wonder if Porsche will roll out a similar recall? If so I want my f'ing money back.

Yup... coils, labor, plus a bunch of cabling that melted when the coils went.

New rule my friend...Only go to a dealer for warranty work. They are usually at least double what a good indie will charge.... Unless you like to get :censored:

Edited by phillipj

New to Porsche in general and this was one of those hey the car just blew up situations.

Wont be repeating it.

But the point I was making is that Audi is paying for the entire job on my A8 (+ all A4, A6's with same issue) and I would think the people here would be interested. Since these things tend to fail pretty regularly it would be nice for Porsche to do a similar recall at no cost to the owner.

Yup... coils, labor, plus a bunch of cabling that melted when the coils went.

New rule my friend...Only go to a dealer for warranty work. They are usually at least double what a good indie will charge.... Unless you like to get :censored:

all true. I called PNCA about the cracked coils. Thank God nothing melted/burned. They said too bad, so sad. Out of warranty when I called. No telling how long the coil problem went unresolved by previous owner. I had the intermittant misfire ... hard to detect. One indie said it might be a broken vacuum line he found while doing the coolant tube repair. I asked him to replace the coils while he had it apart but he balked. Probably wanted to charge more later when I found the misfire was still there.

Tim in Ft Worth

Depends on the dealer and your relationship with them. In the past month or two, my '01 Boxster has started having a slight squeaking noise from the front on downhill legs of tight twisty roads. I called my local dealer to see if I could stop by and maybe they could figure out if it's something loose, worn bushings in the lower control arms, or something else. When I got there, my service writer marches me out to the head mechanic, I talk to him for about 15 minutes, and then we (mechanic and me) go for an extended joyride in my car through the canyons to see if he can hear the noise (I did, he didn't). (The place was busy, and all the lifts had cars on them) Then we spend another 10 minutes when we get back to the dealership in their driveway trying to reproduce the noise. Bottom line is we couldn't figure out where the noise was coming from, so I'm going back next week so they can squirt some high tech grease into the bushings to see if that silences the problem. I've never had any other dealer or indie give me this level of service (Lexus included), and in general the dealer service cost seems to be on par with the top Porsche independents in the area (I've asked). Total cost for today's diagnosis was $0. I have a great working relationship with both the service writer and mechanic, but every customer who is reasonable and realistic seems to get treated fairly. I don't think it's fair to generalize and say all dealers are crooks or worse (although I'm sure some are). In today's economy, everyone seems to be more reasonable than in the past for what they charge for service, and the good dealers seem to be busier than ever (my local dealer has plenty of business these days, both sales and service). Maybe it's a rare example, but if you look and ask around, there are some very good dealer service departments.

And some will go to bat with PCNA for out of warranty cars on items that are known issues.

• 2 weeks later...
I happen to have a 04 Porsche Cayenne S and an 04 Audi A8L. We just got done shelling out 1500 bucks for the blown ignition coils in the Porsche when I got a recall notice in the mail for my Audi for the exact same issue. Wonder if Porsche will roll out a similar recall? If so I want my f'ing money back.

VW Started doing the same thing for my 04 Touareg....

• 2 weeks later...

each dealer service is different.

when i was in chicago, i never got really good service at a dealer. I moved to south Jersey, and I have developed a good relationship with Cherry Hill Porsche. It is almost like working with an independant shop. It may help i also service 2 VWs and and audi there too.

i think if you talk respectfully and truthfully with the service manager, you may be surprised. One thing about their HIGH prices is that the work comes with a years P&L guarantee. when they install my parts, i dont get that.

Surfer161