Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Transmission Oil and Diff Oil - Change and Oil recommendation

Thanks hahnmgh63 I'll go for the redline. I can get that on eBay from a supplier in Sydney who imports it from the USA at a reasonable price.

The nulon is gl-5 but as its an unknown quantity ie. untested in these cars I'll give it a miss for the sake of a few dollars.

Cheers!

DS

• 11 months later...

I don't think Porsche say's to do the tranny until about 160,000miles. Most believe in doing it much sooner. Some transmission builder say that if you wait too long sludge will build up and after a certain point it is better not to do it as fresh fluid will loosen the sludge and it may cause extra valve body wear or plug up some of the small ports in the valve body. I haven't seen a Cayenne (Aisin) tranny with high mileage so no idea how it would look. I do know that at 50K my tranny fluid smelled a little worn and dirty. I don't think I drive it any harder than the next but it is a '06 CTTS so maybe it's a little harder on its fluid than say a CS?

The guy above from Revmax (assuming he is from Revmax torque converters) is saying every 30K for and fluid change. I plan on keeping my CTTS for a while and use the same fluid (Redline D4) in my Audi and my girlfiriends so I bought a 5gal pail of it so I probably will do it again in about 30~40K.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Just want to say: i did it today. If i can do it, everyone with a little bit of talent can do this job.

Changed the rear differential Fluid and transfer case Fluid . Both black and strange smell. Doesnt look good. After a first test drive i would say: everything feels more smooth and less noises from drive Train.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

My CTT (2008) is at 93 000km and I am thinking to take it to the dealer for the gearbox oil change. As reading this thread, you guys reckon I should use the Toyota IV oil instead of the porsche approved oil because of the cheaper price?

If your just looking at the cheapest solution that is still better than no change I think the Toyota fluid is it but I doubt a Porsche dealer would let you bring in your own oil.  Now if it is an independent shop then they might use your supplied oil. The independent shop needs to know the proper procedure which is very similar (fill procedure and temperature checking) to the procedure used on the ZF transmissions in  Audi, VW's, BMW's, etc...

Got it.
What is the recommended oil for the 2008 Cayenne Turbo gearbox?

I have received a quote from the dealer which looks OK.

I did find other independent repair shops who offer "dynamic" gearbox oil changes, they have a special machine which flushes all the old oil out completely, versus the oil changes the dealer does which leaves some old oil in. Any thoughts?

The Porsche spec is for an Oil that meets Esso JWS3309 spec. Many of the top quality specs will meet that spec but I wouldn't use an ATF that doesn't list it on their website or bottle. I use Redline D4 ATF which is a full snythetic. Some use the Mobil 3309 which many believe is close if not the oil that Porsche might use. I personally think like most all oils that the Redline is a better oil and improved technology since the Cayenne came out but to each his own. Aisin, the manufacturer of the transmission also sells an oil too which you probably can't go too wrong there since they design and manufacture the transmission. A cheaper alternative to going to the dealer if you prefer that route might be to hit up a VW dealer for fluid for the Touareg or Audi dealer for Q7 transmission fluid since they use the same transmission.

• 7 months later...

My research reveals that the Porsche recommended oils are non synthetic.

Using alternative synthetic oils is not recommended as it may affect seals in the transmission that have been subject to initial mineral oils. This may lead to possible leaks from the transmission.

Sound maintenance philosophy is to use the Porsche recommended oil and change it more frequently, every 40,000 miles.

• 5 months later...

I have an 04 cayenne s with 225k miles and the front diff oil hasn't been change. Not sure about the rear since I had to put in a new rear transfer case. The transmission fluid has been changed once. I've been told not to change the fluid since the car has a lot of miles and I haven't been changing the fluids regularly....anybody have any experience with this? I'm wanting to change out the fluids but not sure at this point?

Chris

Always good to change the transfer case and Diff fluids no matter how many miles. Many believe that on an Automatic tranny that hasn't been changed with a lot of miles that fresh fluid can loosen varnish and/or sludge which can possibly plug some of the small passageways before it can get filtered. Also fresh fluid can possibly cause old clutch plates to slip since they are weaker (less material) and lower friction in new fluid.

cn1057, that is good mileage on the front diff. For some reason the front diff and transfer case fluids always look the worse, transfer case I can understand (not much fluid and clutches constantly working on Tq transfer). There have been a fair amount of front differential failures. I don't know if anyone was really tracking to see if it was just a bad batch or certain gear ratios. There were a lot of failures in the Touareg's too which use a version of the same diff. Some gear ratio differences between Turbo, non-Turbo V8, and V6's.

Edited by hahnmgh63

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Some folks suggested flushing the transmission, and I did watch the German video that ekstroemtj posted about flushing it on the Merc.

Considering a DIY without that cool machine, would the following do?

1. First drain, drop pan, replace filter, refill, fill it up at 40 degrees C.
  2. Drive the car around for how many minutes/miles? or can I just change gears while on the lift?  This I don't know.
  3. Drain, and refill without changing filter and without dropping the pan
  4. Repeat Step 2 and Step 3 until clear fluid drains out?
  5. Any other step/task?

A few concerns I have with this:

1. Would it be too risky to flush due to metal shavings for a car with high miles (150k+ with no tranny oil change in the past)?  There are no codes thrown.  Car is 2004 CS.  Or is equally risky to do the Step 1 above without Steps 2 and 3?
  2. How much oil do I need before it is flushed clean?  (a bit stupid as it depends on how bad the fluid is, but a rough estimate based on experience by others will help me decide how many quarts to buy).

Thanks

lewisweller1982, Toyota type IV ATF is only for the Transmission, the transfer case takes Esso LT71141 spec. Some of the better Full synthetics meet both but the cheaper synthetics and older conventional oils don't. I've heard Ravenol makes good fluids but I just looked at their ATF Type IV and it doesn't show on the website that it meets the Esso spec. It's only .75~.85 Liters so I would hit up Audi, VW, and Porsche to see who charges the least at the Touareg & Q7 have the same transmission & transfer case. The VAG (Audi & VW) stuff even comes in a .85liter bottle.

lewisweller1982, Toyota type IV ATF is only for the Transmission, the transfer case takes Esso LT71141 spec. Some of the better Full synthetics meet both but the cheaper synthetics and older conventional oils don't. I've heard Ravenol makes good fluids but I just looked at their ATF Type IV and it doesn't show on the website that it meets the Esso spec. It's only .75~.85 Liters so I would hit up Audi, VW, and Porsche to see who charges the least at the Touareg & Q7 have the same transmission & transfer case. The VAG (Audi & VW) stuff even comes in a .85liter bottle.

Just FYI.....LT71141 is a ATF specification.  Long story short....the Transfer case takes ATF.

I've been using type 4 for my ATF for many years now in both the transfer case and transmission.  That and in addition to the blackstone reports between the two fluids I feel more than comfortable.

Recommended oils is always a personal subject.  pick a fluid that you are comfortable with.....if it's going to keep you up at night or worrying while driving long distances, just get the OEM stuff for piece of mind.....But I sleep very well at night haha.

Yes, Esso LT71141 and Toyota Type IV are both different ATF specs. Both specs can be covered by some of the top quality synthetics. Porsche TSB "Approved Oils - Final drives and Transfer Case" 2/04 3965 lists Toyota spec Type IV for the transmission but AFT Esso spec LT71141 for the differential. I'm just saying that if you're not using one of the few top spec Synthetics that meet both specs then you should probably stick with the Type IV for the tranny and find the Esso LT71141 for the transfer case since that is what Porsche is calling for.

Thanks guy for the post replies.

I've just had the dreaded "Four wheel drive system faulty" warning come up which I've read is the Servo on the Transfer case electronic issue when the transfer case is hot. I'm in Dubai so 42oC is hitting now daily.

I had a spare litre of Toyota Type IV ATF so i thought a quick drain of the TC to check for metal parts and see what Quantity the garage put in would maybe help me diagnose the warning message better.

I drained 1 litre exactly out of the TC and spotless clean no metal or burnt fluid signs. I noticed above the TC on the Transmission tunnel was a coating of sticky emulsified oil gunk which looks like ATF and not engine or Gear diff oil. Anyone got any idea why or where that is coming from? no oil patches in parking bay, no drips, looks like the breather of the Transmission or TC is spewing it up there maybe? Where do those TC and Transmission breather pipes go?

Anyway refilled the TC with Toyota Type IV ATF 0.75litres but the transfer case whined when revving the engine in Park. I added the remaining to make 1 litre and no noise. strange that everywhere I read is 0.75 litres though.

I also have a high pitches noise at 120km/h on load throttle whi9ch disappear as soon as your off the accelerator, research shows this is the Front Diff bearing, so I replaced the Ravenol 75-90 for Moly lube Slip 75-90 GL5 gear oil, this didn't make much difference and the drained fluid didn't have any metal in it.

So i'm thinking to turn the radio up louder because ignorance is cheaper than fixing it. LOL When I get depressed with this PIG I use my Stage 1+ REVO tuned Audi A4 B8.5 3.0T Its my baby DD.  

• 4 months later...

Hi to everybody.
After crunchy grind noise from the front axle I thought it's time to change both final drives oil of my CTT after 165'000kms (about 100'000mls).
Please note that you have to use different oil for front axle final drive and for rear axle final drive, and it depends if the rear axle final drive is with or without differential lock.

I used porsches orig. oils... 000 043 305 04 for front axle (replaced by Porsche for the old 000 043 205 30) and 000 043 300 37 for rear axle (with differential lock). If your Cayenne has no diff/lock you have to use the front axles oil.

Now back to my recommendation...
I'll not say anything, I only show you the pics of the old oil drained out of the front axle final drive..... I think it's not nice for the diffs to drive with this kind of oil

GrößenänderungIMG_0107.JPG

GrößenänderungIMG_0108.JPG

GrößenänderungIMG_0110.JPG

GrößenänderungIMG_0115.JPG

Edited by ferri