Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Car won't start... Anyone have a relay diagram?

1999 Porsche Carrera 2, 6-speed, US

Yesterday I installed a new ignition switch. New switch seems to operate properly. However, when I try to start my car's dash lights do not go off and when I move key to "run" the fuel pump does not kick. When I move key to start, nothing happens and all engine lights remain on. Any ideas?

Also, can someone share with me the location of the relay boxes as well as relay positions in the box. I need to see if my new switch is garbage by verifying starter relay has juice. Thanks in advance.

Any advice is much appreciated.

What was the symptom before you changed the ignition switch?

Loren,

No symptoms at all. The ignition switch was not operating properly. Car still ran fine. Didn't start it yesterday before I started working on it but pulled it in the garage the night before. Anyhow, my switch now operates mechanically but no start. I reinstalled a couple times to ensure I didnt miss anything. All is plugged in... ??

If it started before the bad ignition switch then either you have a blown fuse or a bad switch.

Have you tried the old switch to verify.

Checked the old switch by re-installing. Same symptoms. Went through and checked all my fuses. I am at a loss. I will try tomorrow to get a voltmeter on the yellow wire from ignition switch to see if relay is getting juice. Is there any other relay I can swap over to see if the relay is somehow out?

The relays are all solid state these days - it would be usual.

Did you check the clutch interlock switch?

Well, I hear it click in and out and all the wires are hooked up. It just seems so bizarre to me. Could a faulty new switch trip anything?

Bridge the clutch switch to be sure.

And, you are sure your battery is good?

I will bridge the clutch switch. Battery is 7 months old. I trickle charged and of course attempted to jump with no change. Dash lights mostly all stay on and no fuel pump or starter click. I will post back tomorrow. Thank you!

Bridge the clutch switch to be sure.

And, you are sure your battery is good?

I will bridge the clutch switch. Battery is 7 months old. I trickle charged and of course attempted to jump with no change. Dash lights mostly all stay on and no fuel pump or starter click. I will post back tomorrow. Thank you!

Loren,

These are similar symptoms to what I am having. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?/topic/18667-help-996-wont-start-need-advice-fast/

Edited by peckel

On switch bypass, which wires go to which? I know yel/bro has power...

Yellow/Violet and Brown are the wires on the switch.

Connect them together to bypass the switch.

Thanks! That is what I figured. No success with the switch bypass.

I have tested all positions on the back of the ignition switch and voltage outputs seems to correlate with according key positions. Tomorrow I will see if the start lock relay is getting juice. Beyond that not sure where to go.

Did I somehow trigger alarm immobilizer? Has anyone else done this whilst replacing ignition switch? Neither of my keys will start the car but when I test power on back of switch all works properly. Also, old ignition switch reinstalled does not operate either.

1999 Porsche Carrera 2, 6-speed, US

Yesterday I installed a new ignition switch. New switch seems to operate properly. However, when I try to start my car's dash lights do not go off and when I move key to "run" the fuel pump does not kick. When I move key to start, nothing happens and all engine lights remain on. Any ideas?

Also, can someone share with me the location of the relay boxes as well as relay positions in the box. I need to see if my new switch is garbage by verifying starter relay has juice. Thanks in advance.

Any advice is much appreciated.

You can get the workshop manual for '99 996 including the wiring diagram at http://www.cannell.co.uk/Manuals.htm . It may help you diagnose the electrical problem. Good luck.

Well, at this point you likely need to put the Durametric software, a PST2 or PIWIS tester on the car and find out what is going on.

I agree. I will try to find someone locally who has it or send her to the dealer. Maybe a good excuse to purchase myself.

Just put a friend's Durametric on it. Initial readout was of course P1602 from having the battery disconnected. However, from that was all we got. We tried to clear the codes and the module failed to initialize. We also attempted to connect to ECU for identification but to no avail. Has anyone had this occur on their own cars? What did you have to do?

Any advice from here is appreciated but looks like only option is for the tow truck to the stealership.

Edited by peckel

Ignition signal converter? what is that? Is that the ignition switch?

That is what I said too... looks like ignition module and I am guessing that is black box on top of steering lock housing or maybe the alarm immobilizer. Was told VIN specific...

Edited by peckel

• 7 months later...

If any of the immobilizer components are bad would you be able to push start the car? I ask because I am having the same problems. New ignition switch, bypass clutch switch, still no start. But I can push start the car.

Edited by yeeha68

If any of the immobilizer components are bad would you be able to push start the car? I ask because I am having the same problems. New ignition switch, bypass clutch switch, still no start. But I can push start the car.

If you can push start the car then it's not immobilizer problems. Have you changed the starter yet?

In the end its the relay for the starter. Even though the the 30/87 poles had continuity, they would not let the current pass thru to energize the starter. This relay has a Porsche name stamp and part number, but I see no reason it cannot be replaced with a standard 4 prong Bosch relay. Does anyone know if this is correct?