Call for Donations - All new donations go towards our 2014 operating expenses. Please consider an ANNUAL donation to help keep this site operating. Click here to Donate

Photo

Cooling System Pressure Tester

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mikez996

Mikez996

• Members
  • 11 posts
Neutral

Posted June 04, 2010 - 02:17 PM

My 1999 911 has a small coolant leak that I can not pinpoint. Does a "universal" cooling system pressure tester fit the 996? Has anyone done this with success?

Edited by Mikez996, June 04, 2010 - 02:19 PM.

#2 JFP in PA

JFP in PA

• Moderators
  • 3,697 posts
Outstanding

Posted June 04, 2010 - 02:45 PM

My 1999 911 has a small coolant leak that I can not pinpoint. Does a "universal" cooling system pressure tester fit the 996? Has anyone done this with success?

Yes, we use Stant pressure testers in the shop just about every day. You will need to obtain the correct adaptor for a Porsche, but the Stant system will work with anything........

Posted ImagePosted Image

JFP in PA

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." – Richard Phillips Feynman

#3 Mikez996

Mikez996

• Members
  • 11 posts
Neutral

Posted June 04, 2010 - 03:33 PM

Yes, we use Stant pressure testers in the shop just about every day. You will need to obtain the correct adaptor for a Porsche, but the Stant system will work with anything........

Posted ImagePosted Image
Thanks JFP. I was just looking at the Craftsman tester. It has 8 adapters. Does the car have to be running? Because the coolant leaks on one of the pulleys and ends up all over the place, making it hard to spot the leak. Thank you. Mike

#4 JFP in PA

JFP in PA

• Moderators
  • 3,697 posts
Outstanding

Posted June 05, 2010 - 07:09 AM

Posted ImagePosted Image
Thanks JFP. I was just looking at the Craftsman tester. It has 8 adapters. Does the car have to be running? Because the coolant leaks on one of the pulleys and ends up all over the place, making it hard to spot the leak. Thank you. Mike

No, the car does not have to be running. You can also add a UV dye that will show where the leaks are as well. As for the Craftsman unit, we use Stant becuase the make adaptors for anything which you can add as you need them; sets that come with a cluster of "most popular" adaptors usually don't make sense because you end up with a bunch of stuff you never use..............

JFP in PA

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." – Richard Phillips Feynman

#5 Mikez996

Mikez996

• Members
  • 11 posts
Neutral

Posted June 07, 2010 - 09:45 AM

Posted ImagePosted Image

No, the car does not have to be running. You can also add a UV dye that will show where the leaks are as well. As for the Craftsman unit, we use Stant becuase the make adaptors for anything which you can add as you need them; sets that come with a cluster of "most popular" adaptors usually don't make sense because you end up with a bunch of stuff you never use..............

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The RennTech.org site is Member supported!   Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org    Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org