Notice - There are less than 3 weeks left until our annual server lease is due for renewal - and we are currently at 93% of funds needed to renew.
Please donate to help keep this site running -- donate here.

Call for Donations - All new donations go towards our 2014-2015 operating expenses. Please consider an ANNUAL donation to help keep this site operating. Click here to Donate

Photo

Header Improvement For 996

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 donlycan

donlycan

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 191 posts
Neutral

Posted June 19, 2010 - 02:25 AM

Do 997 gen-1 (3.6l) headers provide an improvement (power increase) for a 996 3.6? Don

#2 piiqmark

piiqmark

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted January 26, 2012 - 08:02 AM

I know this post is very old and you probably got your answer :thumbup: - but figured I would reply anyway for others who stumble on this - on the fabspeed website they show the difference between the 997 and the 996 headers. I think the difference is obvious when you watch the video. The 997 roll into a pinch collector where the 996 uses live tube headers, guess if you are leaving it stock its at the very least "OK" - look at the section under 996 & GT3 parts. its under the maxflo mufflers w/o tips description. I too am looking to upgrade the headers on my 996 - thats how i found this post. Anyone have comments on the Automotion headers? They are pretty cheap - gotta be a catch!

#3 xmac

xmac

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 167 posts
Good

Posted January 26, 2012 - 10:57 AM

Cheap headers, although they may have nice sweeping bends and shiny bling can actually rob horsepower. This guy dyno tested a set and got a loss of 10Hp over stock. Just mentioning it here to be cautious when upgrading.

#4 piiqmark

piiqmark

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted January 27, 2012 - 10:27 AM

LOL figured as much - thats the beauty of a great message board! Great link and lots of good ideas! Thanks! Somewhat new to p-car ownership although been "in the know" for a long time. Friend in the business... Anyway, all the hype about exhaust systems etc, its always good to start the search cheap to see what you get for your money. I had a cheap summit racing exhaust on my 2008 F150 that sounded incredible - end of the day you get what you pay for and a snowstorm 2 years ago explained why it was so cheap - slapped on a magnaflow (@600 bucks) that woke up all my unhappy long island neighbors and had a highway drone that could make a man insane in under 2 hours... after serveral "in person" complaints (and performance that wasnt even noticable) I went to a flowmaster 50 cat back that cost 100 bucks more than the summit sounds just as good, a drone i could deal with and performace wise it felt smoother. Obvious point here is you get what you pay for but sometimes you dont have to buy a patek to tell time. As I am looking around for different products I find there is no black/white in the P-Car world. What I mean is the ford/chevy argument, vortech/procharger etc. Guess it comes down to what you want to spend and what you want to accomplish - take that and find the right products. Maybe just a port of my stock headers and leave it alone? But that might not give it the melody I want. spending time looking at the turbowerx (next price level up) and trying to find a good review on some reasonbly priced 200 cats - leave the mufflers stock? since the cats i understand will make it roar giving me the same problem i had with the magnaflow on my truck... Most would probably argue "offing" the stock as they would probably choke off the benefit of the header/cat combo... sometimes i wish i lived in the middle of nowhere and could make as much noise as I want!!! LOL Thansk again for the site - lots of info!!!

#5 Jetskied

Jetskied

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 26 posts
Neutral

Posted February 01, 2012 - 12:57 AM

I tried the schnell headers and did not notice any difference. IMO there is very little gain in exhaust on a 996 to be worth it. I think the mufflers are only good for better sound but other than that don't waste your money. You'll get more power with a computer upgrade.

#6 piiqmark

piiqmark

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted February 01, 2012 - 06:15 AM

Thanks Jetskied - I am actually doing a custom ECU tune later this month - wanted to plan out the exhaust prior for an optimal tune. After that it will be left alone "engine performance-wise".

#7 phillipj

phillipj

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 2,670 posts
Excellent

Posted February 01, 2012 - 10:40 AM

agreed.. Don't waste your money on headers..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The RennTech.org site is Member supported!   Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org    Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org