Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Header Improvement For 996

• 1 year later...

I know this post is very old and you probably got your answer :thumbup: - but figured I would reply anyway for others who stumble on this - on the fabspeed website they show the difference between the 997 and the 996 headers. I think the difference is obvious when you watch the video. The 997 roll into a pinch collector where the 996 uses live tube headers, guess if you are leaving it stock its at the very least "OK" - look at the section under 996 & GT3 parts. its under the maxflo mufflers w/o tips description.

I too am looking to upgrade the headers on my 996 - thats how i found this post. Anyone have comments on the Automotion headers? They are pretty cheap - gotta be a catch!

LOL figured as much - thats the beauty of a great message board! Great link and lots of good ideas! Thanks!

Somewhat new to p-car ownership although been "in the know" for a long time. Friend in the business...

Anyway, all the hype about exhaust systems etc, its always good to start the search cheap to see what you get for your money. I had a cheap summit racing exhaust on my 2008 F150 that sounded incredible - end of the day you get what you pay for and a snowstorm 2 years ago explained why it was so cheap - slapped on a magnaflow (@600 bucks) that woke up all my unhappy long island neighbors and had a highway drone that could make a man insane in under 2 hours... after serveral "in person" complaints (and performance that wasnt even noticable) I went to a flowmaster 50 cat back that cost 100 bucks more than the summit sounds just as good, a drone i could deal with and performace wise it felt smoother. Obvious point here is you get what you pay for but sometimes you dont have to buy a patek to tell time.

As I am looking around for different products I find there is no black/white in the P-Car world. What I mean is the ford/chevy argument, vortech/procharger etc. Guess it comes down to what you want to spend and what you want to accomplish - take that and find the right products.

Maybe just a port of my stock headers and leave it alone? But that might not give it the melody I want. spending time looking at the turbowerx (next price level up) and trying to find a good review on some reasonbly priced 200 cats - leave the mufflers stock? since the cats i understand will make it roar giving me the same problem i had with the magnaflow on my truck... Most would probably argue "offing" the stock as they would probably choke off the benefit of the header/cat combo... sometimes i wish i lived in the middle of nowhere and could make as much noise as I want!!! LOL

Thansk again for the site - lots of info!!!

I tried the schnell headers and did not notice any difference. IMO there is very little gain in exhaust on a 996 to be worth it. I think the mufflers are only good for better sound but other than that don't waste your money. You'll get more power with a computer

upgrade.