Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Fuel smell from left rear wheel well

For past week my garage wreaked of gas order. I thought at first it was the fumes from charging the golf cart during the day, but then I smelled it when I exited the car yesterday. It appears to be coming from the left (US drivers side) rear wheel well. I could not tell if it was on the car or not so I had it washed and I still smell it, distinctly in tire well area. I thought I may have run over a gas puddle or some butt hole poured gas on the car. I placed on Durametric and no codes. No loss in performance, actually I have felt an increase in throttle response when I added fuel injector cleaner to the tank, but this issue was ocuring before then. I am clueless aside from thinking it may be the fuel filter.

• Moderators

I would check for a leak in the left fuel pump connection area, tilt the rear seat, under a pre cut spot in the insulator you find a round metal cover, remove the cover and you have full access to the pump connectors.

• 2 weeks later...

RFM is right on the money. The most common cause for this is a leaking drivers side fuel tank flange. Should be part # 955 620 841 00. Due to the design of the tank, both flanges must be removed( there is one on each side of the tank) so you'll also want two sealing rings ( 955 201 133 01) There is an updated pipe that porsche wants you to install on the drivers side flange as well, 955 620 911 001.

• 3 years later...

RFM is right on the money. The most common cause for this is a leaking drivers side fuel tank flange. Should be part # 955 620 841 00. Due to the design of the tank, both flanges must be removed( there is one on each side of the tank) so you'll also want two sealing rings ( 955 201 133 01) There is an updated pipe that porsche wants you to install on the drivers side flange as well, 955 620 911 001.

Looks like I'm in for the same fix...but I'm having trouble with these part numbers.

First, for the sealing rings, it looks like there's two parts with the same number:

955-201-133-01-M100

955-201-133-01-INT

Which one do I need, or do I need both?

For that replacement part, the closest thing I could find was this one:

955-620-911-00-M100

Is that the correct piece?

Thanks so much for the help!

Looks like I'm in for the same fix...but I'm having trouble with these part numbers.

First, for the sealing rings, it looks like there's two parts with the same number:

955-201-133-01-M100

For that replacement part, the closest thing I could find was this one:

955-620-911-00-M100

Is that the correct piece?

Thanks so much for the help!

So in addition to the new flange (which is an updated part and should show up made of black plastic as opposed the original which will be white plastic) youll need two of 955-201-133-01-M100 and one 955-620-911-00-M100

• 1 month later...

I think I have similar problem - leaking from the left hand side fuel tank. But mine is Right Hand Drive. Do you think the problem is the same, regardless of right or left hand drive? I guess it is simple enough to get the mechanic to check by flipping over the rear seat and open up the access metal top?

Cheers...

I think I have similar problem - leaking from the left hand side fuel tank. But mine is Right Hand Drive. Do you think the problem is the same, regardless of right or left hand drive? I guess it is simple enough to get the mechanic to check by flipping over the rear seat and open up the access metal top?

Cheers...

The problem is the same as the tanks are unchanged with respect to driver position. The left-hand side flange is known to shrink and leak vapor.

I had a code stored when I changed fixed mine. I can't remember the code number but it was a small-vapor leak in fuel system. The flange fixed it.

You will also need the special VW tool that removes the large lock nut retaining the fuel filter.

It is probably a good time to replace the fuel filter at this time, too.

• 1 month later...

I just had this issue as well on an 06 Cayenne S @ 68k miles .

Strong fuel smell with no visible leaks.

Took it into the dealer (extended warranty) last week and had the work done.

The cost of parts + the price of the special tools was about the same as my warranty deductible so I went ahead and paid the deducible and had the dealer do the work

QUAN    DESCRIPTION                                             Total Cost
4	Labor							$600.00		
1	955-620-421-00	Flange With Fuel Filter			$142.77
2	955-201-133-01	Sealing Ring, Flange			$19.78
1	955-620-911-00	Angle Pipe, Fuel			$8.67

Total: 784.92

Ouch. There is a special tool...which is the same as the vag tool....or you can just weld some angle together and make your own.

Here is what I found. It's not the seal that typically goes bad....but the crap the may have gotten under the seal during assembly or over time....I cleaned the flange on the left tank hole during my pump replacement and reused the old gasket.....This is as compression gasket so as long as the surfaces are clean and not bent the gasket will still seal nicely. ...like with many other things....The preparation work makes all the difference.

• 1 month later...

These forums are awesome.  The information brought me directly to the source of my gas smell.

I found my leak to be a tiny point at the top of the fuel filter assembly which would push fuel out very slowly when under pressure. 

Here's a video of the leak as I wipe it from the fuel filter and the it bleeds out each time while under pressure.

post-9277-0-24457500-1405814210_thumb.jp

post-9277-0-25453300-1405814372_thumb.jp

Edited by greg schroeder

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...