Call for Donations - All new donations go towards our 2014 operating expenses. Please consider an ANNUAL donation to help keep this site operating. Click here to Donate

Photo

charcoal canister location

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 leszaj

leszaj

• Members
  • 12 posts
Neutral

Posted August 23, 2010 - 09:03 AM

Can some one tell me where the charcoal canister is located in a 2005 porsche boxster? I've read that it's possibly in the driver wheel well but before I get in there I wan to be sure. I'm having the problem of after I fill up the car won't start unless I pump the gas. From what I've read it's the canister that's the problem so I want to see if something is blocking the fuel vapors. Thanks

#2 Loren

Loren

Porsche Nut

• Admin
  • 28,131 posts
Outstanding

Posted August 23, 2010 - 09:10 AM

Right front fender - behind the wheel well liner.

Loren

RennTech.org

PCA member since 1978

My Mods in the Registry

Has someone helped you with a good solution to your question(s)? If so, give them a reputation point by clicking the rep_up.png arrow at the bottom right corner of any post.

#3 leszaj

leszaj

• Members
  • 12 posts
Neutral

Posted August 23, 2010 - 04:19 PM

Thank you Loren but I did look in the right front wheel well and it wasn't there. I've read that it's on the front driver wheel well. Is this correct? It's a 2005. Thanks

#4 Loren

Loren

Porsche Nut

• Admin
  • 28,131 posts
Outstanding

Posted August 23, 2010 - 05:15 PM

Sorry, my mistake - your car is a 987. Yes it is on the drivers side but access is through the front trunk. You will need to remove the luggage compartment lining to get to the upper plug. and remover the two torx head screws. Then remove the inner wheel well lining and disconnect the canister fittings there (underneath the canister as you lift).

Loren

RennTech.org

PCA member since 1978

My Mods in the Registry

Has someone helped you with a good solution to your question(s)? If so, give them a reputation point by clicking the rep_up.png arrow at the bottom right corner of any post.

#5 leszaj

leszaj

• Members
  • 12 posts
Neutral

Posted August 23, 2010 - 05:53 PM

Ye it Is a 987. Thank you so much. I'll give it a shot this weekend. One quick question do you know if I'll need to replace the canister or do u think something would be blocking it? The car doesn't want to start after I fill up. I have to pump the gas and keep it revving to keep it started. After that it starts on it's own. I've read in the forums there may be a clog or possibly a filter is clogged? I'm not sure just thought I'd ask. Thanks again. You've been a real help.

#6 JFP in PA

JFP in PA

• Moderators
  • 3,690 posts
Outstanding

Posted August 23, 2010 - 06:16 PM

Ye it Is a 987. Thank you so much. I'll give it a shot this weekend. One quick question do you know if I'll need to replace the canister or do u think something would be blocking it? The car doesn't want to start after I fill up. I have to pump the gas and keep it revving to keep it started. After that it starts on it's own. I've read in the forums there may be a clog or possibly a filter is clogged? I'm not sure just thought I'd ask. Thanks again. You've been a real help.

Usually it is not the cannister that is the issue, it is more often one of the control valves that acts up................

JFP in PA

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." – Richard Phillips Feynman

#7 leszaj

leszaj

• Members
  • 12 posts
Neutral

Posted August 23, 2010 - 07:17 PM

Ok Great. I'll take a look this weekend. Is there anyway to test the valves or do they usually need to be replaced?

#8 JFP in PA

JFP in PA

• Moderators
  • 3,690 posts
Outstanding

Posted August 24, 2010 - 10:37 AM

Check the OBD II manual for codes associated with the EVAP system, they have the test procedures for the valves.................

JFP in PA

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." – Richard Phillips Feynman

#9 leszaj

leszaj

• Members
  • 12 posts
Neutral

Posted August 29, 2010 - 05:39 PM

I took out the trunk lining and the right driver side wheel well lining and the canister was on in the wheel well. Does anyone have a diagram on where the canister is located? I also read on other forums that it might be under the battery. Does anyone know? Thanks.

#10 Loren

Loren

Porsche Nut

• Admin
  • 28,131 posts
Outstanding

Posted August 29, 2010 - 06:00 PM

I took out the trunk lining and the right driver side wheel well lining and the canister was on in the wheel well. Does anyone have a diagram on where the canister is located? I also read on other forums that it might be under the battery. Does anyone know? Thanks.

http://www.renntech....post__p__184203

Loren

RennTech.org

PCA member since 1978

My Mods in the Registry

#11 leszaj

leszaj

• Members
  • 12 posts
Neutral

Posted September 16, 2010 - 07:43 AM

Does anyone have any photos of the canister location on an 05 boxster?

#12 PTEC

PTEC

• Members
  • 582 posts
Neutral

Posted September 28, 2010 - 07:55 PM

On any 987, access to the canister is entirely in the front trunk! You don't have to do anything in the wheel well to remove the canister. To gain access to the canister remove the black plastic cover over the brake booster. Its infront of the battery, near the center of the vehicle but slightly towards the pass. side. The cover is held in with maybe 8 phillips screws. Once that is removed you will see there is a plastic bracket that holds the canister to the body, if I remember right its held in with a T40 screw. After that you have two "quick" disconnect lines on the bottom of the canister and one electrical connector on the top of the canister. Its kind of a beast to get out, the connections on the bottom of the canister are tricky to get to. That being said, it sounds like your problem might be the tank vent valve getting stuck open. This valve is the only entry way for any fuel vapor to be getting into the engine. The tank vent valve is located under the intake manifold on the bank 2 (drivers) side of the engine.

Edited by PTEC, September 28, 2010 - 08:03 PM.

#13 leszaj

leszaj

• Members
  • 12 posts
Neutral

Posted September 30, 2010 - 01:11 PM

Thank you so much for your help. I'm going to give it another shot this weekend. It's annoying to have to keep pushing the gas and hesitating before it starts after I fill up. Just a question, If the tank vent valve is the problem is this something I can fix or would I need a new valve? How can I test if it's working properly? Thanks again.

#14 PTEC

PTEC

• Members
  • 582 posts
Neutral

Posted September 30, 2010 - 10:39 PM

If the tank vent valve is your problem, you'll need a new valve, they are not repairable. The valve should be closed when in a non powered state. If you can blow through it, its no good.

#15 leszaj

leszaj

• Members
  • 12 posts
Neutral

Posted October 01, 2010 - 01:08 PM

You have been really helpful. Is there anything else I can expect when I'm getting to the canister and valve? Is the valve hard to get to?

#16 leszaj

leszaj

• Members
  • 12 posts
Neutral

Posted October 12, 2010 - 12:54 PM

What is the easiest way to reach the purge valve?

#17 JFP in PA

JFP in PA

• Moderators
  • 3,690 posts
Outstanding

Posted October 12, 2010 - 01:48 PM

What is the easiest way to reach the purge valve?

The purge valve is on the left side of the engine, under the intake manifold.................

JFP in PA

#18 leszaj

leszaj

• Members
  • 12 posts
Neutral

Posted October 23, 2010 - 12:47 PM

I found the valve and I have a replacement valve from the dealer. My only problem is I can't get to it and the valve came with a vent tube attached. How can I get to the valve and remove it. There's a screw under the manifold holding the vent line and valve in place. How do I get to it to remove it and also where do I plug in the other end of the vent line. It looks like the opposite end of the vent line is something I can get to through the wheel well. Any help would be appreciated Thanks

#19 leszaj

leszaj

• Members
  • 12 posts
Neutral

Posted October 24, 2010 - 07:06 PM

I figured it out. I had to remove or loosen the manifold by unscrewing 4 bolts then I was able to get to the purge valve. I had to cut the hose a little because I couldn't remove it with the tight space. Then I folioed the vent line attached to the purge valve all the way down into the wheel well almost. I had to remove the tire and then at tech the vent line. It was pretty tedious but I did get it. Because space is very limited in the engine space. Thanks everyone for your help.

#20 leszaj

leszaj

• Members
  • 12 posts
Neutral

Posted October 27, 2010 - 08:54 AM

Just to confirm I filled up the gas tank this morning and it fired up without hesitation. Everything worked out and it was the purge valve that was damaged. Thanks again everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The RennTech.org site is Member supported!   Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org    Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org