Call for Donations - All new donations go towards our 2014 operating expenses. Please consider an ANNUAL donation to help keep this site operating. Click here to Donate

Photo

spark plugs and ignition coil

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dsulu

dsulu

• Members
  • 44 posts
Neutral

Posted September 26, 2010 - 04:23 PM

This is a new post regarding some maintenance work I am about embark on. my 98 boxster Spark Plugs: I got 6 of those NGK BKR-6EK, on the avg, how long do they last under normal driving condition. Ignition coil: How do I trouble shoot these coils (one per spark plug). besides visual inspection. Can I use multimeter for some resistance testing? At 116000 miles, while I got the car jacked up and both rear wheels out, should I do additional maintenance based work besides changing the rear brake pads? Any input is greatly appreciated! :)

#2 70Sixter

70Sixter

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 719 posts
Neutral

Posted September 28, 2010 - 11:53 AM

Not sure about multimeter, but if a coil fails you will get a code. A failing coil might result in plugs that are more fouled than the good coils.

Good time to change oil and filter if you are due. You might also replace the "lifetime" coolant.

Mike
70 914-6 black over tan
04 Boxster S basalt/savanna, 6 spd, 18" Carrera lights, hard top, litronics
PCA since 1970

#3 dsulu

dsulu

• Members
  • 44 posts
Neutral

Posted September 30, 2010 - 07:30 AM

Thanks! I noticed that the both right and left cylinder banks, the middle cylinder's spark plug sleeves are coated w/ motor oil. Wonder why the middle ones failed. Are they subjected to more heat? I will try to use a brass/rubber boat transom plug to pull that sleeve out the engine. www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Change_Spark_Plugs_%26_Tubes.html

#4 kbrandsma

kbrandsma

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 960 posts
Excellent

Posted September 30, 2010 - 08:52 PM

If you are changing the spark plugs at 116K you might as well go to DIY Menu/Maintenance Schedule at the Top of the page and do the entire 120K major tune-up. Lots of things from oil, filters, serpentine belt, etc. At 90 K I replaced my coolant, some hoses, water pump and the thermostat. I recently replace my front motor mount two weeks ago. I wished I would have done that sooner, what a difference!

K.Brandsma
'98 Boxster

#5 dsulu

dsulu

• Members
  • 44 posts
Neutral

Posted October 06, 2010 - 05:33 PM

Just an update, I started w/ changing the Bosch FR7 LDC4 plugs to NGK BKR 6EK, as it turned out, I think the NGK plugs are in heat range 6. The engine started misfire/ ran rough. So I got Bosch plugs FR7 LDC+ (not FR7 LDC4) in now. The engine seems to run smoothly. So here is the run down. Kragen's auto: NGK BKR 6EK @ 5.99/each, misfire. Exchange them for Bosch FR7 LDC+ @ 3.99/each. No problem.

#6 RFM

RFM

• Moderators
  • 3,411 posts
Excellent

Posted October 07, 2010 - 02:41 AM

European heat range system (like Bosch) is upwards based: Bosch range 7 is heater than 6 and colder than 8. NGK used the opposite system: NGK range 6 is heater than 7 and colder than 5. So do not compare them in the same way.

Life starts @ 7.000 RPM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The RennTech.org site is Member supported!   Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org    Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org