Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

spark plugs and ignition coil

This is a new post regarding some maintenance work I am about embark on. my 98 boxster

Spark Plugs: I got 6 of those NGK BKR-6EK, on the avg, how long do they last under normal driving condition.

Ignition coil: How do I trouble shoot these coils (one per spark plug). besides visual inspection. Can I use multimeter for some resistance testing?

At 116000 miles, while I got the car jacked up and both rear wheels out, should I do additional maintenance based work besides changing the rear brake pads?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

:)

Thanks!

I noticed that the both right and left cylinder banks, the middle cylinder's spark plug sleeves are coated w/ motor oil.

Wonder why the middle ones failed. Are they subjected to more heat?

I will try to use a brass/rubber boat transom plug to pull that sleeve out the engine. www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Change_Spark_Plugs_%26_Tubes.html

If you are changing the spark plugs at 116K you might as well go to DIY Menu/Maintenance Schedule at the Top of the page and do the entire 120K major tune-up. Lots of things from oil, filters, serpentine belt, etc. At 90 K I replaced my coolant, some hoses, water pump and the thermostat. I recently replace my front motor mount two weeks ago. I wished I would have done that sooner, what a difference!

Just an update,

I started w/ changing the Bosch FR7 LDC4 plugs to NGK BKR 6EK, as it turned out, I think the NGK plugs are in heat range 6. The engine started misfire/ ran rough.

So I got Bosch plugs FR7 LDC+ (not FR7 LDC4) in now. The engine seems to run smoothly.

So here is the run down.

Kragen's auto: NGK BKR 6EK @ 5.99/each, misfire. Exchange them for Bosch FR7 LDC+ @ 3.99/each.

No problem.

• Moderators

European heat range system (like Bosch) is upwards based: Bosch range 7 is heater than 6 and colder than 8. NGK used the opposite system: NGK range 6 is heater than 7 and colder than 5. So do not compare them in the same way.