Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Boxster rear wheel bearing replacement

I replaced my drivers side rear wheel bearing today after putting up with the noise for the last 6 months. I couldn't believe local indys were asking for about $600 to do one side but now I can appreciate why!

I took advantage of our Navy base auto hobby shop and went to work with bought a bearing from Autohaus for $39 and a new Axle nut from Rock Auto for about $3 plus shipping. Five hours later, I have a nice quiet rear end again. Yes I'm slow and I know why I don't mechanic for a living.

I was fortunate to have come across a thread on this site with an entry from Glyn, who had done this job on his own and had done a great job documenting his work. I printed out his document that he was so kind to email me and used it to perform my work. Given the access I had to a first rate shop, the parts that I though would be tough such as removing the carrier and pressing out the hub and bearing were actually not that bad. I did have one heck of a time reassembling the parking brake and connecting the cable. Although I had no problems removing the parking brake shoes and cable, I did spend considerable time replacing the items. Access to the parking brake cable was very tight. I also managed to install one brake shoe upside down, not realizing my error until I couldn't get the rotor to seat on the hub. Idiot.

I'd like to say that if I had to do the other side tomorrow I could do it in a fraction of the time of today's efforts but right now I'm not sure.

One thing I do know, I'm not doing the other side until it starts to scream.

Thanks again to Glyn. Anyone looking to do a bearing job shop ask for his instructions.

• Moderators

You could have saved a load of time by using one of the B90 tools, which allow you to remove and replace the wheel bearing without removing the carrier assembly from the car (so no disassembly / reassembly issues), which more than makes it worth the money...............

B90MASTERKIT.jpg

Edited by JFP in PA

You could have saved a load of time by using one of the B90 tools, which allow you to remove and replace the wheel bearing without removing the carrier assembly from the car (so no disassembly / reassembly issues), which more than makes it worth the money...............

B90MASTERKIT.jpg

Needless to say I'm jealous. I would have loved to have access to the tool. Just don't think I can justify purchasing the tool for one ten year old car.

• Moderators

B90MASTERKIT.jpg

Needless to say I'm jealous. I would have loved to have access to the tool. Just don't think I can justify purchasing the tool for one ten year old car.

There are adaptors to fit many other makes and models for this tool as well....................

Thanks for the reply about the labor time. I could certainly see 2 hours with the SIR tool. I bet I spent an hour trying to reconnect the parking brake cable at the hub. My only real goof was not realizing I had one of the shoes upside down (tired idiot by that point). Went so far as trying to put the rotor back on and could not understand why it wouldn't fit.....

I actually queried two different garages and both quotes were within $20. Both went with the book hours on their quote.

• 1 month later...

I replaced my drivers side rear wheel bearing today after putting up with the noise for the last 6 months. I couldn't believe local indys were asking for about $600 to do one side but now I can appreciate why!

I took advantage of our Navy base auto hobby shop and went to work with bought a bearing from Autohaus for $39 and a new Axle nut from Rock Auto for about $3 plus shipping. Five hours later, I have a nice quiet rear end again. Yes I'm slow and I know why I don't mechanic for a living.

I was fortunate to have come across a thread on this site with an entry from Glyn, who had done this job on his own and had done a great job documenting his work. I printed out his document that he was so kind to email me and used it to perform my work. Given the access I had to a first rate shop, the parts that I though would be tough such as removing the carrier and pressing out the hub and bearing were actually not that bad. I did have one heck of a time reassembling the parking brake and connecting the cable. Although I had no problems removing the parking brake shoes and cable, I did spend considerable time replacing the items. Access to the parking brake cable was very tight. I also managed to install one brake shoe upside down, not realizing my error until I couldn't get the rotor to seat on the hub. Idiot.

I'd like to say that if I had to do the other side tomorrow I could do it in a fraction of the time of today's efforts but right now I'm not sure.

One thing I do know, I'm not doing the other side until it starts to scream.

Thanks again to Glyn. Anyone looking to do a bearing job shop ask for his instructions.