Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Oil filter wrench size ? and drain plug size socket ?

I have a 2002 911/ 996 Carrera, and want to do my own oil change. I want to use Mobil 1 0- 40 oil (is this ok ) and I'm confused about all these different size tools to use when I do it ? Can any of you advise of the exact size tool I must use to remove the drain plug (which I will replace with a stainless steel one) as well as the size (tool) to remove the filter housing ? I seem to be reading about all these different size tools to do an oil change ,and it's confusing cursing.gif I thought, most 996's used the same size tools to remove the plug and filter housing ? Please advise , on tool sizes, and oil type , thanks Dave.....

Edited by britdave

Hi Brit, you should check out the DIY section here where there are nice detailed instructions and recently, a video was posted that will walk you through the end to end process. The drain plug is removed with an 8 mm allen socket, and the filter housing uses Porsche part #000 721 920 40, which can be attached to a 3/8" drive socket wrench. Also, Mobil 1 0W40 is on the approved Porsche list.

Good Luck,

-tanny02

Hi Brit, you should check out the DIY section here where there are nice detailed instructions and recently, a video was posted that will walk you through the end to end process. The drain plug is removed with an 8 mm allen socket, and the filter housing uses Porsche part #000 721 920 40, which can be attached to a 3/8" drive socket wrench. Also, Mobil 1 0W40 is on the approved Porsche list.

Good Luck,

-tanny02

Thanks for the info, I got the drain plug size ,but somewhere I saw a housing wrench that removes the oil filter housing ,that was available at Pep boys,Auto zone ,etc for only about $3.99 . What size is this ? I believe it's a standard size ,that will fit most Euro cars including BMW & Audi , can anyone else advise ? Thanks Dave...

I have a 2002 911/ 996 Carrera, and want to do my own oil change. I want to use Mobil 1 0- 40 oil (is this ok ) and I'm confused about all these different size tools to use when I do it ? Can any of you advise of the exact size tool I must use to remove the drain plug (which I will replace with a stainless steel one) as well as the size (tool) to remove the filter housing ? I seem to be reading about all these different size tools to do an oil change ,and it's confusing cursing.gif I thought, most 996's used the same size tools to remove the plug and filter housing ? Please advise , on tool sizes, and oil type , thanks Dave.....

The Porsche 996/986 oil filter wrench is 74.5 MM.. Good luck!

DC

I recommend replacing the stock oil drain plug with the magnetic one made by LNEngineering. It's made with a harder aluminum (alloy?) and takes a 10mm allen wrench, so it's more resistant to stripping. (I am not affiliated with LNE). If I remember correctly, I paid about $30 for it.

Also, though this is a source of much debate, many feel that 5w 40 is a better choice.

Edited by wyovino

Consider getting a torque wrench in Ft Lbs too. Every nut and bolt on your car has torque values.

They are very important.

The cap-type oil filter wrench (socket) I use is a 76mm X 14 flute and are very inexpensive

($15.00) on e-bay.

The 8mm allen is fine but if you do get a torque wrench as suggested, get the 3/8" allen socket (8mm) to

go with your 3/8" torque wrench.

If you don't like using hydraulic jacks and stands... pick up a couple ramps at your local auto-parts

store. Good luck!

True story.

Most oil changes are 4 to 5 quarts and lucky for me... I found this site and it was mentionted (9 quarts) before

I changed the oil. Still confused tho... I can see why the large volume of oil for a "dry sump" but with

the 996's you'd figure a gallon of oil would be enough.

• Admin

True story.

Most oil changes are 4 to 5 quarts and lucky for me... I found this site and it was mentionted (9 quarts) before

I changed the oil. Still confused tho... I can see why the large volume of oil for a "dry sump" but with

the 996's you'd figure a gallon of oil would be enough.

I guess the Porsche brochure should say "water (and oil) cooled engine".