Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

FOB Keys Boxster 2000

Festive Greetings to all :D

I am at the stage where I have to get a new key and fob. I would like to use one of the new 911 key fobs or even the GT both have been cited as possible replacement FOBs. I lost my original boxster key and the spare only remotely opens the doors 20% of the time so a new one is in order regardless.

The single dealer we have here wants $291 for the original black FOB (my old one pictured) $42 for a blank key (which they can't cut??) plus $150 to reprogramme the new key (he did say I can BYO FOB as long as i have the code number)

$483 plus I have to get someone to cut the key. I know I can get the standard black fob online for about half that cost, though i would prefer the 911 or GT FOB if it works.

When I asked about the 911 or GT FOB he said NO

If anyone is using a GT or 911 FOB on a Boxster 2000 can you let me know or point me in the right direction.

Thanks and have a safe new years folks.

Prices are in AU$ which is about the same as the US$ at the moment that is 1 for 1

post-32525-0-56252500-1293768250_thumb.j

post-32525-0-06701100-1293768644_thumb.j

• Admin

If you have a two button remote key I do not know why the two button 911 FOB would not work. Tool Pants might know for sure?

You can swap the transponder pill from the old key and the metal blade from the old key and not have to pay for any programming or cutting.

It is documented here and in a Porsche TSB.

• Upvote 1

00Boxster,

Swap will work fine, I did mine a few months ago. As Loren stated, just swap over the circuit card and pill and viola, you have a cool looking key fob. When you press the button to open the locks the "911" on the remote glows red. Kinda neat at night but then it doesn't take much to amuse me :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

00Boxster,

Swap will work fine, I did mine a few months ago. As Loren stated, just swap over the circuit card and pill and viola, you have a cool looking key fob. When you press the button to open the locks the "911" on the remote glows red. Kinda neat at night but then it doesn't take much to amuse me :rolleyes:

I actually need to get the 911 key with the guts in it (transmitter) as I have lost my original key.

Will the guts from the 911 work or do I still have to order a standard boxster FOB head and then transfer it to a 911 case?

When the dealer does the reprogram will they have to do both my old spare key and the new key? IE wil I get charges 2 x $150

PS: I think I will get the GT key

post-32525-0-77304400-1293853899_thumb.j

post-32525-0-17116500-1293853944_thumb.j

Edited by 00boxster

Will the guts from the 911 work or do I still have to order a standard boxster FOB head and then transfer it to a 911 case?

- Yes the 2 button remote is the same for the 996/986. However, you need to make sure you have the IPAS codes or the dealer cannot reprogram. You can buy new ones from places other than the dealer but make sure you get the tags that come with as they have the codes necessary for reprogramming.

When the dealer does the reprogram will they have to do both my old spare key and the new key? IE Will I get charges 2 x $150

- Yes, they will need to reprogram all the keys at once as reprogramming erases all the old info. labor charge is by the hour or partial hour if you exceed one hour. Most shops will have a one hour min. It only takes about 15 mins to program if the tech doesn't have any problems.

Once you get the remotes back home you can pop the covers and swap the guts to your new FOB. BTW, people are funny about putting incorrect model designation parts on Porsches... a GT cost about 10 times what your car costs... Just saying... I sure don't care.

Good luck, Tom

However, you need to make sure you have the IPAS codes or the dealer cannot reprogram.

All authorized Porsche dealers/OPCs have access to IPAS codes.

True, but a new key comes with a tag that has a 24 character code. (It may not be IPAS but that is what the dealer told me) If the key has been previously programmed by the dealer then you will most likely not need the numbers for the remote. When I had mine done recently the service manager told me to hang on to the tag with the number. Sometimes the 24 digit code is dropped from the computer and then cannot be reprogrammed. If he buys a key fob off of eBay, RT, RL etc. and doesn't get this tag, he will have wasted his money.

Tom

True, but a new key comes with a tag that has a 24 character code. (It may not be IPAS but that is what the dealer told me) If the key has been previously programmed by the dealer then you will most likely not need the numbers for the remote. When I had mine done recently the service manager told me to hang on to the tag with the number. Sometimes the 24 digit code is dropped from the computer and then cannot be reprogrammed. If he buys a key fob off of eBay, RT, RL etc. and doesn't get this tag, he will have wasted his money.

Tom

My dealer told me he needed a 16 digit number for my MY1997? is this correct or do i need a 24 number digit to reprogram the key to my car?

• Admin

Tom

My dealer told me he needed a 16 digit number for my MY1997? is this correct or do i need a 24 number digit to reprogram the key to my car?

The key unique number is 24 digits.

The IPAS immobilizer code is 16 digits.

Each transponder code is 8 digits.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

does the "pill" have the code or the circuit board... or both? my circuit board is friedpost-27095-0-48141200-1300302341_thumb.j

The "pill" controls starting the engine.

The circuit board controls the remote functions to open the door, trunk, etc...

Regards, Maurice.

• 4 months later...

If you have a 1997 year Boxster, I have a couple for sale from a 1999 996 (also works on a 2000 996 or 1997 Boxster).

They only have 1 button on them. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think the boards will work in a two button unit.

PM me if you have a 1997 year Boxster and are interested.

Otherwise you could try a dismantler, such as http://www.dcautomotive.com or http://www.ladismantler.com.

They're charging you quite a bit. My certified Porsche dealer out in STL told me a new FOB for my 2000 Boxster would be about 200 and 50 to program...I'd search around and try to get a better deal.

• 6 years later...

Can any of the following info on the back of my fob (see Picts) be used to program it to my car so the button unlocks the door. The pill works as I swapped it from another working key.  I don't have a tag for this remote. Thanks!

IMG_2076.JPG

Edited by Canada-Eh

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Canada-Eh said:

Can any of the following info on the back of my fob (see Picts) be used to program it to my car so the button unlocks the door. The pill works as I swapped it from another working key.  I don't have a tag for this remote. Thanks!

IMG_2076.JPG

No, you have to have the original tag to program the system.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Hello, I can learn all key fobs porsche 996 and 986 Boxter series ,I can do this without 24 character code , I can learn aslo used and new key fobs .I do this gratis for somebody here which start believe me that I can do it. I want  to do this as demonstration of my know-how. 

Best regards to all.