Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

insulation through the ac vents

I have a 99 C4 Cab. Like many of you, I have had the insulation foam material blow out through the AC vents. I thought overtime this would stop, but the material continues to come out for 6 months now. The AC and heater seem to be at the correct temperature, however it seems the air is not blowing out as strong as it did in the past. I am thinking some of this material is stuck and reducing air flow. Any suggestions how to clean out/open up the air flow system?

Eric

Eric, I've not experienced this problem. The only two places I can think of where insulation could be introduced into the system is a)under the pollen filter (I seem to recall seeing some insulation material there) and B) behind the AC/Heater unit.

You might look under the pollen filter first to see if that is at least the source of the insulation.

If that doesn't allow you to alleviate the underlieing problem so that the blowing insulation clears up, you might be able to access the AC/Heater core by pulling out the center console/vent assembly section of your dash.

If the center vent removal doesn't give you the access you need, you will probably need to pull the dash. It isn't that bad of a job. The instrument cluster and steering wheel are the trickiest parts. If you've done those before, the dash isn't really tough. I think the first time I pulled my dash, it took me a while to find the screw behind the passengers airbag.

GA

I have a 99 C4 Cab. Like many of you, I have had the insulation foam material blow out through the AC vents. I thought overtime this would stop, but the material continues to come out for 6 months now. The AC and heater seem to be at the correct temperature, however it seems the air is not blowing out as strong as it did in the past. I am thinking some of this material is stuck and reducing air flow. Any suggestions how to clean out/open up the air flow system?

Eric

I've got the same issue, but haven't tackled the problem yet. My understanding is that the insulation is a seal from a flap or door in the console that opens and closes to direct air around. I don't know anything more than that, but if the stuff acts like a seal and yours is missing, it stands to reason that you wouldn't have as much air flowing out of your vents as you once did.

• Moderators

The Foam usually comes from the fresh air door that is under the cabin filter and accessable through the cowl on the passenger side. There is a thin foam on the door that will become delaminated over time and will be sucked into the HVAC system and out the vents. You can reach in through the cowl and remove the remainder or just let it blow through.

• 3 weeks later...

Is this door/foam the same door that controls mixing from the heater core? Or are there two different doors to clean up?

The Foam usually comes from the fresh air door that is under the cabin filter and accessable through the cowl on the passenger side. There is a thin foam on the door that will become delaminated over time and will be sucked into the HVAC system and out the vents. You can reach in through the cowl and remove the remainder or just let it blow through.

• Moderators

Is this door/foam the same door that controls mixing from the heater core? Or are there two different doors to clean up?

I don't think that the mixing baffle has foam on it, but the cabin air intake door that is in the cowl does have foam on it. Since this door is exposed to the outside it is the one that is most susceptible to degradation.