Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Where to buy Voltage Regulator?

I can't seem to find out where to buy this. I have an 03 TT that has the Christmas light dashboard. I have installed a new battery. The shop says the alternator is bad and needs to be replaced. They want $500 for the alternator plus shop time. If I can't get a voltage regulator, any problems with a Duralast reman? Any particular after market. The shop doesn't recommend it, but an alternator should last more than 40k miles. Especially if its a $50 part that is the problem. Sounds like a design flaw to me. Why would you replace it with the same junk? Dealer pricing of $1200 for an item that gives out in most vehicle around 30k miles, crazy!!

Digg

my memory is that the regulator is built into the alternator...

check with Jeff at Sunset about a remanufactured alternator....

good luck... I had to replace the alternator in my 2003 C4S, same alt as yours I believe, at about 14k. bad battery caused it to overwork and I guess just quit working.

I can't seem to find out where to buy this. I have an 03 TT that has the Christmas light dashboard. I have installed a new battery. The shop says the alternator is bad and needs to be replaced. They want $500 for the alternator plus shop time. If I can't get a voltage regulator, any problems with a Duralast reman? Any particular after market. The shop doesn't recommend it, but an alternator should last more than 40k miles. Especially if its a $50 part that is the problem. Sounds like a design flaw to me. Why would you replace it with the same junk? Dealer pricing of $1200 for an item that gives out in most vehicle around 30k miles, crazy!!

Digg

If you can find an old school car electric outfit, take your alt there and have them put a voltage reg in it. Had it done on mine, 2002 996, cost a hundred bucks.

Digg

Tons of info here on a 996 (non-TT though) http://forums.rennli...ad-alt-reg.html

Google found at least one vendor http://www.americanenginesco.com/servlet/the-141/Porsche-911-Boxster-Cayenne/Detail

GL

Edited by Ahsai

Thanks for all the help. I have read through about 40 pages about this on Renntech and 6speed, but nobody mentioned how or where to get the regulator. All the places I called sold the alternator in one piece. Without a part number or such it was impossible for me to find. Now, my problem is the car is dismantled at the shop, with them wanting the car gone and me not wanting it left outside in the winter as I wait for the part to ship. Should of tried the DIY, but I chickened out. After watching a high school dropout try and replace a bulb on my Cayanne the other day I shouldn't be so intimidated.

Thanks again, especially for the quick responses. This forum has saved my *** a few times already.

Digg

Thanks for all the help. I have read through about 40 pages about this on Renntech and 6speed, but nobody mentioned how or where to get the regulator. All the places I called sold the alternator in one piece. Without a part number or such it was impossible for me to find. Now, my problem is the car is dismantled at the shop, with them wanting the car gone and me not wanting it left outside in the winter as I wait for the part to ship. Should of tried the DIY, but I chickened out. After watching a high school dropout try and replace a bulb on my Cayanne the other day I shouldn't be so intimidated.

Thanks again, especially for the quick responses. This forum has saved my *** a few times already.

Digg

If it makes you feel any better, mine failed at <40k miles also. $500 for a reman from Porsche sounds about right. I had to pay out of pocket ~$100 even I have a 0 deductible aftermarket warranty They have a database that put a "reasonable" maximum cost on every single part of your car and they only cover up to ~$300 for alternator so I had to pay the difference. They cover all the labor though. The site I had above ships the same day (not sure how long to get to you) but since no one is 100% sure if the regulator is indeed the culprit, althought likey (for all we know, it could be some shorts inside the alternator), you are still gambling :(

I think that Pelican Parts sell them, and there is a DIY on their site also. It is a standard Bosch part, if you have a local Bosch distributor. It is available from Porsche, but it is twice the price.

Edit:

Bosch Part number: F 00M 145 225 (Replaces F 00M 145 350).

Porsche Part No: 000.043.206.37.

Pelican DIY here: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-996-997-forum/408495-alternator-repair-regulator-replacement.html

Edited by Richard Hamilton

So I got the car back today. I took the alternator to an "old school" alternator repair shop. Told him I thought it was the regulator, but rebuild it if necessary. He told me that the new Bosch regulators are total crap and that he was 99% sure it was just the regulator. A few hours later I had my wife pick it up with a new voltage regulator installed. Total cost $50 including tax. Got the shop to install it. They worked me over for $250 for the diagnosis and install. Lame, since I told them the regulator was probably the problem, so not much diagnosis on their part. Plus three hours shop time. I thought I read on here about a poster with limited skills doing the tear down and install in about an hour. Oh, well. still saved me five hundred or more. Next time I will pull it and do it myself. Also, may be just a coincidence, but I had just washed the car, before the problem started. Someone else wrote they had problems after doing the same. He now covers the engine lid with plastic. I might have to do the same.

Digg