Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I need to learn to drive..

phillipj

I went for a drive with my friends in the Los Angeles mountains over the weekend. I have a buddy with a Lotus who is a really good driver. He goes on these drives all the time and invited me along with a coupe of other friends. So it was me wiith the Turbo, a Lotus, my friend with an 07 Carrera 4S and another guy with a Dodge Viper. Wow what an experience. Once you get out of the city it's wide open twisty mountain roads. You can go as fast as you like safely (which we did.) It's about three 15 mile stints to get to the top of the montain which is about 5000ft altitude. My friend in the Lotus was uncatchable. I was soon to realize my limitations as a driver. It's very intense and requires your complete concentration. I got in a corner way too hot and realized I needed to back off to a pace that was within my skill level. The Turbo is an amazing car. I have never driven that fast for that long. Very exhausting.

We met another guy in an 07 Turbo at a rest point. He had the big turbos and intercoolers and lots of other mods. His car was so fast it was scary. And he drove it at the limit.. He tracks it and it was really beat up. He had a passenger and I felt sorry for that guy! Must be nice to be able to afford a Turbo to beat up! My buddy with the 4S and I thought it was kind of sad to see a car like that treated like a "beater."

We also ran into about 6 guys with Ferrari's.. All different years and models. Very cool...

We had lunch at the top then it was time to return down the mountain.... Again at light speed.... Quite an experience. When I got home I was exhausted..

I'm going with the same group of guys to go race Go Karts at Willow Springs in a week or so. . My friend with the Lotus tells me it's the best and cheapest learning tool when it comes to performance driving. Should be fun..

I realize that I really have no performance driving skills at all. Definitely going to do some formal schooling as well. My car deserves better...

Edited by phillipj

Just remeember that you will not go fast over night. Alot of

fast guys have been driving fast for a long time. They

work there way up to fast speeds. It is better to drive where

you feel in control.

Do not push yourself to fast because you will break your car.

Paul

Just remeember that you will not go fast over night. Alot of

fast guys have been driving fast for a long time. They

work there way up to fast speeds. It is better to drive where

you feel in control.

Do not push yourself to fast because you will break your car.

Paul

You really need to goto a Porsche DE -- here you can drive as fast as you are capable in a relatively safe, legal, and controlled environment with instruction.

I just got back from an event this weekend at Texas World Speedway.

what a blast,

Mike

Thanks for the advice Mike and Paul.. I'm actually looking into registering for a DE now. Also looking into the Skip Barber performance driving school at Laguna Seca.

And Paul.. I won't break my car. I realize my limitations..

All the best..

You probably will not break it but there are the ones that

do. It is real hard when your strapped into a car and your heart

is beating about 140 beats per secound and stuff

happens. That is where instinict kicks in and you let off the

gas instead of hitting the brakes.

I do recommend track time to get car control awareness. Also driving

in a parking lot in heavy rain in 1st gear only.

Paul

Phillip - take a look at Jim Hall Kart Racing in Oxnard. I did two of their basic cart classes and learned a lot about driving and control. Easy to get up there for you for the day, without even hitting warp factor 4 on the 101! I keep getting emails from them about various specials, so things must be slow for the winter. You will be exhausted at the end of the day and your Turbo will feel like a fat pig!

• 1 month later...

It was awsome. Used the begginer automatic trans kart. Still gets up to 80 MPH. Did a half day.. I was exhausted after.. learned a lot. There were some really fast guys out there in shifter karts.. Going to do it again soon...:clapping:

• 1 year later...

Actually im the one with the beat up car lol. we were coming back from willow spring n decided to have lunch at newcombs ranch. on our way back down the canyon after we ate we saw a lotus that was moving at very rapid speed (which was ok). as we continued down the hill we saw a 997tt, 997, viper...... and the lotus was miles ahead. i've decided to not let my 997tt brother down by not being able to keep up with a lotus, so i busted a U turn n try to catch them. luckily they pulled over at one of the stop (made my job alitle easier).

we introduced ourself n asked if we can tag along. the lotus driver was very happy (big smile). to make a long story short i didnt disappoint my 997tt brother as i looked back at my rearview mirror the lotus was no where to be found (this happened a few times), i decided to pull over n waite then let him lead.........

the conclusion:.i was following the lotus too close after i waived him by and my car was thrown with rocks like you never imagine (rock chips+dirty from being just at the track= BEAT UP). thank you for the kind words sir.

look at it this way, at least now he knows you were taking it easy on him ;-) :drive:. i bet he doesnt think hes the king up there anymore :eek: .

it was a pleasure meeting all of you and thank you for the drive.

richard

I went for a drive with my friends in the Los Angeles mountains over the weekend. I have a buddy with a Lotus who is a really good driver. He goes on these drives all the time and invited me along with a coupe of other friends. So it was me wiith the Turbo, a Lotus, my friend with an 07 Carrera 4S and another guy with a Dodge Viper. Wow what an experience. Once you get out of the city it's wide open twisty mountain roads. You can go as fast as you like safely (which we did.) It's about three 15 mile stints to get to the top of the montain which is about 5000ft altitude. My friend in the Lotus was uncatchable. I was soon to realize my limitations as a driver. It's very intense and requires your complete concentration. I got in a corner way too hot and realized I needed to back off to a pace that was within my skill level. The Turbo is an amazing car. I have never driven that fast for that long. Very exhausting.

We met another guy in an 07 Turbo at a rest point. He had the big turbos and intercoolers and lots of other mods. His car was so fast it was scary. And he drove it at the limit.. He tracks it and it was really beat up. He had a passenger and I felt sorry for that guy! Must be nice to be able to afford a Turbo to beat up! My buddy with the 4S and I thought it was kind of sad to see a car like that treated like a "beater."

We also ran into about 6 guys with Ferrari's.. All different years and models. Very cool...

We had lunch at the top then it was time to return down the mountain.... Again at light speed.... Quite an experience. When I got home I was exhausted..

I'm going with the same group of guys to go race Go Karts at Willow Springs in a week or so. . My friend with the Lotus tells me it's the best and cheapest learning tool when it comes to performance driving. Should be fun..

I realize that I really have no performance driving skills at all. Definitely going to do some formal schooling as well. My car deserves better...

Edited by yllwturbo

• 2 weeks later...

Logray, Dntlvet,

There are a lot of folks who make Angeles Crest their "proving ground". The roads are awesome but it still scares the heck out of me because it's a public road and unpredictable.

I"m currently having my new friend Richard (who I mentioned in the original post with the blinding fast turbo) help me to make my car handle better. He really is quite the mad scientist with turbos and a VERY good driver (and a super nice guy.)

After I get rid of my horrible understeer I'll do a DE.

Buying myself a new ECU tune for my birthday.. Turns out I never had a proper flash.. But that's a subject for another post..

I love nice birthday gifts from myself...I'm always quite generous.. :thumbup: