Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Conv Roof Interior elastic band with hook

I have a 2000 Boxster S. I noticed on the passenger side there is a interior roof liner that covers up the roof bars and such. There is this elastic band with a plastic hook on it that is loose. Looks like it hooks somewhere behind right of passenger seat. How can I attach it back.

I have attached a picture as well.

Thanks Joel

post-66660-0-87803600-1298319695_thumb.j

I have a 2000 Boxster S. I noticed on the passenger side there is a interior roof liner that covers up the roof bars and such. There is this elastic band with a plastic hook on it that is loose. Looks like it hooks somewhere behind right of passenger seat. How can I attach it back.

I have attached a picture as well.

Thanks Joel

Joel:

That plastic hook on its elastic band provides tension for the very rear of one side of the convertible top liner that came on Boxsters after MY 99.

The hook is supposed to fit under and around the silver metal horizontal bar that is at the base of the B-Pillar on each side.

I'll try to dig up a photo of that part in place and post it here.

Regards, Maurice.

Joel:

Found the pic. Here it is (click on the photo to enlarge for a better view):

post-6627-0-54832500-1298329533_thumb.jp

Note that this photo is of the passenger side B-Pillar base, so make sure you position your hook INBOARD of the wider plastic hook that is attached to the elastic from the front edge of the rear vinyl apron.

Regards, Maurice.

• Upvote 1

Hi Maurice,

How do I get to this? Do I have to take anything off or remove anything to hook it back in?

Joel

Joel:

No need to remove anything to hook it back in. Just make sure that you route it (the hook) from where it is attached at the rear tail of the liner to the base of the front of the B-pillar, then hook it underneath so that the hook comes up, around and behind the horizontal metal rod on the INBOARD side of the other, wider clip.

Before you hook it in there, make sure that the elastic strap onto which the hook is attached has not lost all of its elastic, otherwise it will probably fall off again. If it has lost all of its elastic properties, you can cut out and replace that piece of elastic band with material you can get from a craft or millinery supply store.

If you don't want to go to those lengths, you might be able to just shorten that band slightly by sewing the band onto itself for a 1/2 inch, etc., or just tying a knot in it. If you take the shortcut, make sure you observe the tension on that hook while the top goes through a few cycles so that it doesn't end up too short and then rip off its strap.

Regards, Maurice.

Hi Maurice,

This is a picture with the passenger door open looking towards the back of the car. Mostly you can see where the seat belt strap is. I did get to remove one of the carpetted panels so I could see a little bit more.

I am having a hard time visualizing your picture with what I can see.

Joel

Hi Maurice,

This is a picture with the passenger door open looking towards the back of the car. Mostly you can see where the seat belt strap is. I did get to remove one of the carpetted panels so I could see a little bit more.

Joel

post-66660-0-90287200-1298332049_thumb.j

Hi Maurice,

Joel

Joel:

You have to look from the other side of the view that your photo shows. To get oriented, put the top in the service position and stand behind the car, looking forward towards the base of the B-Pillar so that you can understand what you are trying to hook onto.

Here are two photos of the driver's side little metal bar under the B-Pillar that the hook is supposed to hook around.

post-6627-0-56214000-1298332452_thumb.jp

post-6627-0-31400900-1298332724_thumb.jp

In the second photo, both that hook and the wider hook from the vinyl apron have been removed and you can see the pushrod all the way on the left, attached to the steel ball at the base of the B-Pillar.

Hope that clears it up, otherwise I can look for more photos.

Regards, Maurice.

Hi Maurice,

How far back is the service position? Note: The Driver side on my car is secured - I just couldn't see on the driver side where it was hooked to and was going to use that as a template but couldn't see it.

Joel

Joel:

The service position is with the clamshell as far back as it will go, at a 45 degree angle...then you unhook the black plastic horizontal rod that is clipped onto the rear wall of the convertible top well, then you unsnap the two tension ropes at their lower points (at the rear and to each side of the carpeted cover on top of the engine cover), and then you can pull up the rear main bow of the convertible top frame (where you will feel some resistance).

The procedure is covered in your owner's manual, if you have one. Otherwise, you can download a copy of a manual from "Documents Menu" tab at the top of this page by selecting "Owners Manuals" from the pull-down menu.

In that position, you will see the little metal rod onto which the hook attaches, and you will see how it looks on your driver's side, which should still be attached on that side.

Regards, Maurice.

Hi Maurice,

Can you show a picture of what the service position looks like? I downloaded the manual. Is the clamshell the metal piece that covers the convertible top when it is in the down position? Do I have to do anything with the joint rods?

Sorry for all the stupid questions.

Joel

Hi Maurice,

Can you show a picture of what the service position looks like? I downloaded the manual. Is the clamshell the metal piece that covers the convertible top when it is in the down position? Do I have to do anything with the joint rods?

Sorry for all the stupid questions.

Joel

Joel:

Correct, the clamshell is the sort of half-moon shaped metal cover that ends up over the convertible top when the top is in the completely open final position.

Here is a photo of the top in the service position, but in this photo note that the clamshell has been completely removed (for some other work on the engine) (also disregard the red arrow). In the normal service position, the clamshell will then be in the rearmost, 45 degree position. That is the position that the top should be in when you have pulled up the rear main bow (after you disconnect the tension ropes and after the front of the convertible top edge is operated so that it is about 8 to 12 inches from the top of the windshield frame).

post-6627-0-67627600-1298400788_thumb.jp

You don't have to disconnect any of the pushrods, only the metal cups at the bottom end of the tension ropes.

Here is a photo of one corner of the convertible top and clamshell in the service position. The blue arrow is pointing to the bottom metal ball cup at the end of the tension rope on the left side, after it has been disconnected and the rear main bow has been pulled up into the service position. The red arrow is again showing the little horizontal rod to which the hook gets connected. Also, this photo is from a Boxster that came without the roof liner ('97), so although your hook does not show up there, that's the rod that it gets hooked under.

post-6627-0-38805400-1298400937_thumb.jp

Don't worry about the questions. We've all been there. cheers.gif

Regards, Maurice.

• Upvote 1