Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Admin

How about the 4.5 cayenne s? Does anyone know the gap for those plugs? I've seen some on ebay and they say 'gap: 1' but I don't trust the listing as I cannot find confirmation online.

Thanks in advance

:welcome:

The V8 engine gets the same spark plug gap in both the normally aspirated and turbo versions - 1.6 mm.

Me again!

Im looking to buy a torque wrench, and am trying to decide between 1/2 inch drive and 3/8 inch drive.

Which would be the most handy tool to own? And suitable for the coils/spark plugs? (I assume if 1/2 inch is too large I can get a stepper adapter?)

Thanks,

Ger

• 3 weeks later...

How big is the gap on the oem plugs?

See response #2 -- 1.6 mm

Is the gap to be measured from the prong tip to the central column, or from the prong tip to the central 'tip'? (the reason I ask is the elongated tip is further away than the central column, so I doubt sparks would bridge further than they have to.

See pic as an example:

190577.jpg

I have come across a couple posts with people having similar problems as me and have went with NGk iridium Ix spark plugs which come with a gap of .32 but changed it to .25 and have great results on chipped cayennes. I am going with that option to see if it fixes my surging issue.

Ive measured the gaps on my old Bosch R5: fgr6kqe plugs

from tip of prong to central tip:2.1mm (0.85") ILLUSTRATED IN GREEN

from tip of prong to shorter thicker central column: 0.5mm (0.02") ILLUSTRATED IN RED

Excuse the terrible image quality - don't ever buy a blackberry!

I'm not sure what this tell us though…

screenshot20120915at090.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by Gerlewis

• Moderators

The spark slide during its way between the tip and the nearest side electrode partially across the insulator to keep the nose clean from combustion dirt. This type of spark plug is also called "sliding spark plug" over here.

Unfortunately I will like to add that my pinging problems are coming back after 2 days of improved driving. After starting the car the first run seems fine but when the engine warms up it gets worse. Should I try one heat range colder plug as I have read that is recommended with a tune.

The spark actually travels onto the white ceramic then to the ground electrode. It's said to keep the plug cleaner with less chance of fouling.

Well in that case, on my OEM plugs, the gap measures 2.1mm (0.085"). Can anyone explain that if the gap is recommended by porsche to me 1.6mm?

As a thought- could this be the reason people are getting cracked plugs, due to the electric trying to find a place to go and findinfg it easier to go through to the engine block rather than to bridge the plug gap?

Ger