Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Driving on the weekend (MY03 C4S Coupe) I picked up a huge metal spike in my rear passenger tire. Used a can of fix a flat and my compressor to get home. Once I took the tire off I could see that there was no way it could be repaired (large metal spike approx 8-10mm in diam). The tires have about 2000 miles on them Michelin Pilot Sport 2 N2's I had replaced all 4 tires at the same time. The problem I am having is finding a replacement tire for the one that is trashed. Pilot Sports are impossible to find right now. No online dealer has them I even called Michelin and they have none. I have tried Porsche dealers locally and they say that the Michelin's are on back order for the last few weeks and there is no set delivery date. So now I am facing replacing all 4 tires again so I can have a matched set. I have tried the usual online places for used tires but none available in my size 295/30/18.

If anyone has any tires or knows where I can get some I would appreciate the heads up. If I am going to switch out the rest of the tires anyone got a recommendation for another brand?

I was in a similar, but not matching spot. My 03 C4S had Pirelli P-zero's and I wanted to replace just the back. Mistake. I had wanted to switch over to Bridgestone 050 Pole Positions, and put 2 on the back. Wrong. I ended up driving the car with the PSM off most of the time as it kept kicking in anytime I went around a curve at over about 20 mph. So I put 2 of the 050's on the front, and voila problem solved. Subsequent changes have always been all four at the same time.

I've run the Bridgestones on the C4S and my 911SC and like them. This would be the Bridgestone Potenza O50 Pole Position. the Pole Position is a different tire than the standard 050, so check carefully if you look at these. Stickier compound on the Pole Position than the regular 050. Porsche recommends the 020, but I think the 050 Pole Position is just as good. It's a summer tire, not meant for use in extreme cold, snow, etc., but I live in a relatively mild climate area, with lots of rain in the winter, and like the 050 because of the AA traction rating, which means its good in wet conditions. Other folks might prefer running an all-season tire, but I drive on mountain roads and want the better grip of a summer tire.

Hope this doesn't start up the "tire wars" again. All above is imho of course.

ps: happy St. Patrick's Day.

Driving on the weekend (MY03 C4S Coupe) I picked up a huge metal spike in my rear passenger tire. Used a can of fix a flat and my compressor to get home. Once I took the tire off I could see that there was no way it could be repaired (large metal spike approx 8-10mm in diam). The tires have about 2000 miles on them Michelin Pilot Sport 2 N2's I had replaced all 4 tires at the same time. The problem I am having is finding a replacement tire for the one that is trashed. Pilot Sports are impossible to find right now. No online dealer has them I even called Michelin and they have none. I have tried Porsche dealers locally and they say that the Michelin's are on back order for the last few weeks and there is no set delivery date. So now I am facing replacing all 4 tires again so I can have a matched set. I have tried the usual online places for used tires but none available in my size 295/30/18.

If anyone has any tires or knows where I can get some I would appreciate the heads up. If I am going to switch out the rest of the tires anyone got a recommendation for another brand?

I had the same issue with my 997 Turbo last year. I ordered that tire from 4 places and then they all refunded and said on back order. I ended up finding the exact tire on eBay missing only 1/32 (exactly like my other rear tire)...Brought it to Discount Tire and had it mounted (they have excellent Goat machines for mounting with no damage).

Good luck

DC

Edited by therock88

I had the same problem getting N-rated Michelin tires for my Cayenne a little over a year ago. In the end, the only place I could get them was my Porsche dealer. Apparently they have first dibs on any Michelin tires. Porsche dealers in the US get Michelin tires from the commercial side of TireRack, not the consumer side you and I deal with. Since then, America's Tire/Discount Tire has worked out a deal with Michelin to get higher priority than before, and they have better insights into Michelin's ordering system. If none of your Porsche dealer, TireRack or Discount Tire can get the tire, chances are extremely good it's not available. Michelin produces tires in limited runs, then stops production of the tire for a while and produce something else.

Sounds like PS2s are hard to get in that size.

If you're going to replace your tires, consider:

Hankook Ventus V12

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/09q2/tire_test_nine_affordable_summer_tires_take_on_the_michelin_ps2-comparison_tests/hankook_ventus_v12_evo_page_10

Sumitomo HTR Z III

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=93

I've used both and they're a fine daily driver tire. Probably not the quietest, but performance in dry and wet is good.

If I had to pick between the two, I'd pick the Hankook. It was a little quieter and a little more durable. Good luck!

It's possible to spin your wheels on this subject without getting any traction. I've heard of tires and inflation, but never unavailable. All I can say is tread carefully and get a grip, it's gonna be a goodyear!

All my own work :groan:

:beer:

Here's an update on the tire situation.

After talking to Michelin directly they are going to assist me with the purchase of a matched set of tires through tire rack. The have some sort of good will program in the event that matched sets can't be located. I am looking at a set of Bridgestones or Pirelli's. I will find out on Monday how much they will contribute to my replacement set. I have to say I was very impressed with Michelin customer care.

I will post the outcome once I know.