Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

97 boxster dead

Hi all,

So I was driving home the other day and my car died. Everything seemed fine, it was not running hot, no CEL but as I shifted from 1st to 2nd it just died. No bad noise or any thing just quit running. I coasted off to the side of the road and started to look around the car. No steam, leaking water or oil. I took the oil cap off and everything looked fine there. When I tried to fire it back up, it would crank like normal but no start. It really wanted to start and would cough but no fire. After I got the car towed home I took off the water cap and it looked fine too.

I am thinking that it is fuel related, like a pump or a pump relay. But before I start poking around I was wondering if any one has an idea of anything to check out. I really hope that something major did not fail.

Thanks,

Reed

As much reading as I have done on these things. And it's TON's. Sounds like fuel issue. Like the fuel pump. Cheap try is to replace the fuel pump relay. Or check the cylinders to see if they are getting fuel into them.

Then go from there.

Randy

I replaced the fuel pump relay and checked the fuse but still no start. I think the fuel pump is dead, I cant hear anything from the fuel tank when the ignition is on. I should be able to hear it at least prime the system right? I am going to order a new fuel pump and give that a shot.

I really hope that something major did not let go in the motor. It sounds fine when it cranks and there is no water in the oil or oil in the water so I think it's ok but I am kinda freaked out.

Thanks for the help so far,

Reed

JFP, You know me. Always trying to acquire knowledge. Couldn't you just take the fuel line off the fuel pump. Get a piece of fuel line. Connect it to the pump and put it in a bucket. If you get fuel in the bucket. Then the pump is working? Then go down the line. Possibly fuel filter clogged and go from there. Or do the pumps fail to the point, were they may pump fuel. But not at a high enough rate? Just curious. Or is that thought? Completely out to lunch?

Thanks for your input!!!

Randy

Edited by Randy_K

• Moderators

The fuel pump has two critical parameters: Fuel delivery volume (measured in mL/min.) and pressure. A pump can deliver considerable volume, but the injectors still will not operate correctly without the correct level of pressure. All M96/97 engines came equipped with a test port on the fuel system for testing both. If the pump cannot deliver the correct pressure range, the volume delivery becomes irrelevant..............

Edited by JFP in PA

• Moderators

There is a Schrader valve (look like a tire stem valve) on the fuel rail. You can jump the relay, or just turn the ignition switch on (does the same thing). If you have access to a PIWIS/PSTII/ Durametric system, all have the ability to cause the pump to run. I think the test is also covered in the Bentley manual.

You will need to get a new cap and seal for the Schrader valve, they are not reusable, but only cost a few cents……….

• Upvote 1

I fixed it!!!

First, I checked the fuel pressure as suggested by JFP in PA and had little pressure. So I went about replacing the fuel pump. It was really hard to get out and I had to use a rubber band style oil filter tool to free it from the clip in the tank. When I first hooked it back up, it still would not start. I checked all the connections and I noticed that the male end of the fuel pump power line was bent. I was able to bend it back into shape and when I hooked it back up it fired up right away! Could the reason that the fuel pump failed was the power connection? I am thinking about replacing the tank sender unit just to be safe, but for now it's back up and running.

I don't know if it's just me being really happy that it's running again, but it seems to run better and have more power. It might just be that I have been driving around in the diesel suburban for the past week...

Thanks for all the help!

Reed

• Moderators

I fixed it!!!

First, I checked the fuel pressure as suggested by JFP in PA and had little pressure. So I went about replacing the fuel pump. It was really hard to get out and I had to use a rubber band style oil filter tool to free it from the clip in the tank. When I first hooked it back up, it still would not start. I checked all the connections and I noticed that the male end of the fuel pump power line was bent. I was able to bend it back into shape and when I hooked it back up it fired up right away! Could the reason that the fuel pump failed was the power connection? I am thinking about replacing the tank sender unit just to be safe, but for now it's back up and running.

I don't know if it's just me being really happy that it's running again, but it seems to run better and have more power. It might just be that I have been driving around in the diesel suburban for the past week...

Thanks for all the help!

Reed

Glad to hear you got it sorted.