Notice - There are less than 3 weeks left until our annual server lease is due for renewal - and we are currently at 93% of funds needed to renew.
Please donate to help keep this site running -- donate here.

Call for Donations - All new donations go towards our 2014-2015 operating expenses. Please consider an ANNUAL donation to help keep this site operating. Click here to Donate

Photo

997 Oil Change procedure?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 GaryR

GaryR

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 17 posts
Neutral

Posted January 06, 2005 - 09:29 AM

What manual is available to outline the proper procedures for some of the "simpler" services, as in an oil/filter change? I have no intention of waiting for 20K for my 1st change nor do I want to pay (as rumor has it) $250+ for an oil/filter change. I found a good source for the Mobil 1 0W-40 SuperSyn and will use the OEM filter. Thanks for any help for this Porsche newbie!

#2 Orient Express

Orient Express

• Moderators
  • 704 posts
Excellent

Posted January 06, 2005 - 09:33 AM

What manual is available to outline the proper procedures for some of the "simpler" services, as in an oil/filter change? I have no intention of waiting for 20K for my 1st change nor do I want to pay (as rumor has it) $250+ for an oil/filter change. I found a good source for the Mobil 1 0W-40 SuperSyn and will use the OEM filter.

Thanks for any help for this Porsche newbie!

Welcome to the board :welcome:

Here in the US the maintenance interval is 15,000 miles, and if you check out the DIY section of this board, everything you need to know how to do these maintenances is there. While the DIY info is targeted at the 996 owner, 997 service is identical. Servicing a 996 or 997 is easier than a Toyota.
Orient Express The fastest way between 2 points

Posted Image

Checkout my 996

#3 GaryR

GaryR

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 17 posts
Neutral

Posted January 06, 2005 - 09:52 AM

Welcome to the board  :welcome:

Here in the US the maintenance interval is 15,000 miles, and if you check out the DIY section of this board, everything you need to know how to do these maintenances is there.  While the DIY info is targeted at the 996 owner, 997 service is identical.  Servicing a 996 or 997 is easier than a Toyota.

Thanks for the reply and welcome Orient! I'm 99% sure the 997 Service is at 20K, but i'll look in the manual again! Will go check out the DIY section now.. thanks again!

#4 1999Porsche911

1999Porsche911

• Members
  • 930 posts
Neutral

Posted January 06, 2005 - 03:29 PM

>>>>Thanks for the reply and welcome Orient! I'm 99% sure the 997 Service is at 20K>>>> Even if it is, I sure wouldn't wait that long before changing the oil. One of the reasons for changing the oil is to look at its condition. It can tell you alot about the operation of the engine. (such as excesive moisture, burning. etc). I would recommend at least annually or 10,000 miles (at most), whichever comes sooner. Changing the oil is cheap and easy to do. It will cost you $60 and less than 1/2 hour of your time. If you don't want to do it yourself, get the oil and filter ($60.00) and take the car to a Jiffy Lube and they will do it for $20. Total cost is $80.00. I have no idea why people would pay the dealer to do this.

#5 GaryR

GaryR

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 17 posts
Neutral

Posted January 06, 2005 - 03:38 PM

Even if it is, I sure wouldn't wait that long before changing the oil.  One of the reasons for changing the oil is to look at its condition.  It can tell you alot about the operation of the engine. (such as excesive moisture, burning. etc).  I would recommend at least annually or 10,000 miles (at most), whichever comes sooner.  Changing the oil is cheap and easy to do.  It will cost you $60 and less than 1/2 hour of your time.  If you don't want to do it yourself, get the oil and filter ($60.00) and take the car to a Jiffy Lube and they will do it for $20.  Total cost is $80.00.  I have no idea why people would pay the dealer to do this.

Agree 100%, thats why I intend on changing my "break-in" oil/filter at 5K or less. Worst case scenario is I used 9 Qts of oil up.. after that I plan on changing every 8-10K or one year, whichever comes 1st. As for Jiffy-Lube, I wouldn't let them touch my Jeep, let alone my Porsche or BMW, but thats me!

#6 1999Porsche911

1999Porsche911

• Members
  • 930 posts
Neutral

Posted January 06, 2005 - 03:56 PM

As far as Jiffy Lube (or any other place like that), you watch everything they do, so it's not a worry. Oil change is not brain surgery and as long as the filter in installed and tightened and the plug is installed with the metal gasket and all the oil is put in the engine, nothing can go wrong. I do it myself, but I use Midas (cost $20) tp change the BMW's oil for me cuz its quicker and I don't have to remove the shroud while I'm laying on my back.

#7 GaryR

GaryR

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 17 posts
Neutral

Posted January 07, 2005 - 07:23 AM

I do it myself, but I use Midas (cost $20) tp change the BMW's oil for me cuz its quicker and I don't have to remove the shroud while I'm laying on my back.

On my 2001 330Ci all you have to remove is one screw (half-turn) to release a small (maybe 6"x6") cover plate to get to the drain plug. Did they change that? My wife will possibly be getting a 2006 M3, just curious..

#8 1999Porsche911

1999Porsche911

• Members
  • 930 posts
Neutral

Posted January 07, 2005 - 07:36 AM

<<<<On my 2001 330Ci all you have to remove is one screw (half-turn) to release a small (maybe 6"x6") cover plate to get to the drain plug. Did they change that? My wife will possibly be getting a 2006 M3, just curious..>>>>> I have the 2001 740 IL and the cover plate is easy to unscrew, but it is necessary to jack the car off the ground so it can be removed. (Unless you want to bend the hell out of it).

#9 jnx

jnx

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 73 posts
Neutral

Posted February 11, 2005 - 12:34 PM

I do it myself, but I use Midas (cost $20) tp change the BMW's oil for me cuz its quicker and I don't have to remove the shroud while I'm laying on my back.

On my 2001 330Ci all you have to remove is one screw (half-turn) to release a small (maybe 6"x6") cover plate to get to the drain plug. Did they change that? My wife will possibly be getting a 2006 M3, just curious..

You may want to reconsider, This is the last year[05] for the M3. There will not be one made in 06, they are talking about possibly 07, or 08 with it being a M4 with a V8 engine.

#10 GaryR

GaryR

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 17 posts
Neutral

Posted February 11, 2005 - 01:25 PM

You may want to reconsider, This is the last year[05] for the M3. There will not be one made in 06, they are talking about possibly 07, or 08 with it being a M4 with a V8 engine.

That's a rumor i've heard also, that the V8 is basically the M5's modular V10 with two less cylinders. Don't care what they call it, M4, M3.5, whatever. The current M3 looks exactly like my 330Ci inside and out and after 4 years i'm ready for a change. Didn't pick up on an enormous difference in power, though it is supposedly 100HP stronger. That may just have been me though..

:drive:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The RennTech.org site is Member supported!   Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org    Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org