Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

997 Oil Change procedure?

What manual is available to outline the proper procedures for some of the "simpler" services, as in an oil/filter change? I have no intention of waiting for 20K for my 1st change nor do I want to pay (as rumor has it) $250+ for an oil/filter change. I found a good source for the Mobil 1 0W-40 SuperSyn and will use the OEM filter.

Thanks for any help for this Porsche newbie!

• Moderators
What manual is available to outline the proper procedures for some of the "simpler" services, as in an oil/filter change? I have no intention of waiting for 20K for my 1st change nor do I want to pay (as rumor has it) $250+ for an oil/filter change. I found a good source for the Mobil 1 0W-40 SuperSyn and will use the OEM filter.

Thanks for any help for this Porsche newbie!

Welcome to the board :welcome:

Here in the US the maintenance interval is 15,000 miles, and if you check out the DIY section of this board, everything you need to know how to do these maintenances is there. While the DIY info is targeted at the 996 owner, 997 service is identical. Servicing a 996 or 997 is easier than a Toyota.

Welcome to the board  :welcome:

Here in the US the maintenance interval is 15,000 miles, and if you check out the DIY section of this board, everything you need to know how to do these maintenances is there.  While the DIY info is targeted at the 996 owner, 997 service is identical.  Servicing a 996 or 997 is easier than a Toyota.

Thanks for the reply and welcome Orient! I'm 99% sure the 997 Service is at 20K, but i'll look in the manual again! Will go check out the DIY section now.. thanks again!

>>>>Thanks for the reply and welcome Orient! I'm 99% sure the 997 Service is at 20K>>>>

Even if it is, I sure wouldn't wait that long before changing the oil. One of the reasons for changing the oil is to look at its condition. It can tell you alot about the operation of the engine. (such as excesive moisture, burning. etc). I would recommend at least annually or 10,000 miles (at most), whichever comes sooner. Changing the oil is cheap and easy to do. It will cost you $60 and less than 1/2 hour of your time. If you don't want to do it yourself, get the oil and filter ($60.00) and take the car to a Jiffy Lube and they will do it for $20. Total cost is $80.00. I have no idea why people would pay the dealer to do this.

Even if it is, I sure wouldn't wait that long before changing the oil.  One of the reasons for changing the oil is to look at its condition.  It can tell you alot about the operation of the engine. (such as excesive moisture, burning. etc).  I would recommend at least annually or 10,000 miles (at most), whichever comes sooner.  Changing the oil is cheap and easy to do.  It will cost you $60 and less than 1/2 hour of your time.  If you don't want to do it yourself, get the oil and filter ($60.00) and take the car to a Jiffy Lube and they will do it for $20.  Total cost is $80.00.  I have no idea why people would pay the dealer to do this.

Agree 100%, thats why I intend on changing my "break-in" oil/filter at 5K or less. Worst case scenario is I used 9 Qts of oil up.. after that I plan on changing every 8-10K or one year, whichever comes 1st. As for Jiffy-Lube, I wouldn't let them touch my Jeep, let alone my Porsche or BMW, but thats me!

As far as Jiffy Lube (or any other place like that), you watch everything they do, so it's not a worry. Oil change is not brain surgery and as long as the filter in installed and tightened and the plug is installed with the metal gasket and all the oil is put in the engine, nothing can go wrong.

I do it myself, but I use Midas (cost $20) tp change the BMW's oil for me cuz its quicker and I don't have to remove the shroud while I'm laying on my back.

I do it myself, but I use Midas (cost $20) tp change the BMW's oil for me cuz its quicker and I don't have to remove the shroud while I'm laying on my back.

On my 2001 330Ci all you have to remove is one screw (half-turn) to release a small (maybe 6"x6") cover plate to get to the drain plug. Did they change that? My wife will possibly be getting a 2006 M3, just curious..

<<<<On my 2001 330Ci all you have to remove is one screw (half-turn) to release a small (maybe 6"x6") cover plate to get to the drain plug. Did they change that? My wife will possibly be getting a 2006 M3, just curious..>>>>>

I have the 2001 740 IL and the cover plate is easy to unscrew, but it is necessary to jack the car off the ground so it can be removed. (Unless you want to bend the hell out of it).

• 1 month later...

On my 2001 330Ci all you have to remove is one screw (half-turn) to release a small (maybe 6"x6") cover plate to get to the drain plug. Did they change that? My wife will possibly be getting a 2006 M3, just curious..

You may want to reconsider, This is the last year[05] for the M3. There will not be one made in 06, they are talking about possibly 07, or 08 with it being a M4 with a V8 engine.

You may want to reconsider, This is the last year[05] for the M3. There will not be one made in 06, they are talking about possibly 07, or 08 with it being a M4 with a V8 engine.

That's a rumor i've heard also, that the V8 is basically the M5's modular V10 with two less cylinders. Don't care what they call it, M4, M3.5, whatever. The current M3 looks exactly like my 330Ci inside and out and after 4 years i'm ready for a change. Didn't pick up on an enormous difference in power, though it is supposedly 100HP stronger. That may just have been me though..

:drive: