Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hawk HPS Pads Not Preforming like Factory

I was wondering if anyone has used the Halk HPS Pads? I have a 2008 Cayenne S with 30K miles. Due to brake dust I decided to replace the pads. I surfaced the rotors, replaced the pads (front and rear), bed the pads exactly as Hawk recommends. After cooling overnight I test drove and the brakes were definately not as responsive as with the factory pads. I contacted Hawk and they suggested I put some miles on it and have the fluid changed. I had Porsche change/bleed the system. After 122 miles they still do not have the same responsiveness. They seem sluggish. Any experiences or advise would be appreciated!

My experience is the same.. new rotors and new pads. I went with Hawk due to dust, but it does not even perform near to OEM. It's a choice you have to make ... cleaner wheels or braking power. I have to admit it is nice to see the wheels not be black within a day after a wash. Just a side note: I installed my set last June and have put over 10k and they are not getting better.

I am relieved to see others noticing the same performance degradation. I put numerous stops as per the bedding process and the next 100+ miles. While I do not like the dust stopping distance is much more important. I did a test before and after. I stopped in 133 feet with the worn Porsche pads prior to the change to Hawks. With the Hawks I the best I could do was 157 feet. And it seems to be mostly in the initial bite. The Porsche pads seem to be significantly more aggressive at initial application.

Per Hawk's recommendation I went with the HPS. They told me that the Ceramics are the same as the HPS with added silica which results in the same dust just lighter in color. However, the HPS would still be their preferred choice for the street.

I did not change the brake fluid since the dealership did it as part of their maintenance 800 miles prior to putting the hawks on.

Thanks for all the advice. I am ordering a set of factory pads today.

Most brake pads are not fully bedded for 200 to 300 miles of normal driving. With that said, I have used Hawks on my Audi in the past but for my '06 CTTS I am using EBC Yellow pads and they grip slightly better than stock and dust a little less than stock and the price is much better than OEM. The did squeak a few times in the first 200 miles but that went away and they've been quiet and great since. Some feedback from others said they are easier on the rotors too.

mtimmy, are you using the Hawks? As I mentioned I am using EBC Yellows on a '06 Cayenne Turbo S and like them better than OEM. They dust a little less, are easier on the rotors, and cost less. I am not easy on my brakes either but I do do a good break-in. Drive normally for 100~200 miles then do a bedding in with 5 stops from 60+ to 20mph back to back so everything gets a little warm. After the last bedding which isn't mentioned in most procedures is to drive easy for at least 10+ minutes so your rotors can cool before coming to a complete stop.

• 4 weeks later...

yep I am using Hawk.,. guys should stay away from this,...

I have a turbo,. I am thinking to go to the Turbo S route or 8 piston brembo route.

mtimmy, are you using the Hawks? As I mentioned I am using EBC Yellows on a '06 Cayenne Turbo S and like them better than OEM. They dust a little less, are easier on the rotors, and cost less. I am not easy on my brakes either but I do do a good break-in. Drive normally for 100~200 miles then do a bedding in with 5 stops from 60+ to 20mph back to back so everything gets a little warm. After the last bedding which isn't mentioned in most procedures is to drive easy for at least 10+ minutes so your rotors can cool before coming to a complete stop.

Last night I got the "brake pad workshop" message.

Looks like time has come for my front pads to be replaced. Done >50,000 km on them.

I will be using genuine Porsche pads, as they always perform like factory, no issues :thumbup:

Edited by bigbuzuki

• 3 years later...

I put Hawk LTS pads all around on my 2004 Cayenne Turbo, and the virtual elimination of brake dust is fantastic! Also, you guys are right that they don't have the same "feel" as factory, however I always thought the factory brakes were WAY too grabby...I never liked them. Same with my 2008 Cayenne Turbo.

Driving these with factory pads back to back with our Boxster with factory pads, and the CTT's brakes are just way to sensitive. You get a hard initial bite, but then have to do a real leg press to get any real stopping power

The Hawk LTS pads totally fix the grabby brake feel, and they give better ultimate stopping power when you're really standing on them vs. the factory pads. I like that they feel much more progressive and linear, and are much closer in feel to the sports car.

Those factory pads are designed for soccer moms who want a light touch on the brakes as they slow down for the stop sign in front of little Johnny's school a quarter mile before they get to it. It's a reassuring bite for people who never actually brake (or drive) hard.

The Hawk pads are proper pads, with more force required to initialize, yes, but ultimately far more linear when you get deeper into trouble. I like them WAY better. Plus, virtually zero dust. I do a deep clean maybe twice a summer on my daily driver's wheels.

agreed with dphil....

you can only get certains aspects of brakes, and generally not EVERYTHING.  Low dust often means low cold(initial) bite OR high temp sacrifice in terms of friction Coeff.

I run HPS pads on my track car.....definitely not grabby, but when you are on the track, my style is having a nice linear feeling pad.....especially when you don't have ABS to cover your arse.  The car is super light so i don't need a whole lot of pad either.

On the flip side, you can run a dusty noisy pad (performance friction comes to mind) and they will have extremely good brake capacity.....but who wants to be screech to a stop in traffic with everyone watching you.  

Everything is a trade off.

Edited by clarksongli

dphil66  I want to ask you if you used any brake anti squeak compound on the Hawk LTS pads?  I am using Powerstop rotors and pads and together with proper bedding, they screech really loud.  Use of anti squeak compound and brake lube didn't help.  This is the first time the anti squeak compound didn't work for me, ie. on the 2005 Cayenne S.

• 6 months later...

The Hawk LTS sound like the better pad, from dphil66 feedback if your going with the Hawks' plus the description on Tire Rack but I'm sticking with my EBC Yellows. Car & Driver had a good comparison between EBC Yellows, Hawk HPS, and Hawk HP Plus and they chose EBC Yellows as the best. The comparison wasn't on a Cayenne but I've been running them on my '06 CTTS for almost 20K now and they'll probably last at least 15K more. I do drive a little aggressively and take advantage of the CTTS 380mm rotors on some triple digit decelerations sometimes.