Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

going mad cayenne s misfire and chugging cyl 2,5,7

hi guys,

can any one help i have a 2005 cayenne s 4.5 V8 with 67k miles and full porsche history, the problem i am having is the car misfires and a chugging sound on idle naturally drowned when you accl.

i have replaced all the spark plugs, all 8 coils and moved petrol injectors around also replaced inlet manifold gaskets. I also cleaned the two cam sensors with brake cleaner to no avail also checked head bolts in case they are loose no they are not still missing, i disconnected both exhaust systems still the same thinking the cats could be blocked

no matter what i do fault code cylinder 2 misfire, cylinder 5 misfire, cylinder 7 misfire

when the car is cold it will fire up on the key if allowed to warm up then re-start it will take time to fire up

also when running tube of cyl 6 getting very hot much much hotter then the rest, what i cant work out is the connection between misfire and chugging sound almost like a locomotive yet i have no vacuum leaks or abnormal sounds coming from engine, i am totally lost your HELP would be very appreciated

• Upvote 1

I presume your resetting the error messages ?

Fuel Pumps, the high pressure system has to be up to pressure, would be my guess

yes resetting all the time if fuel pressure then what about the chugging sound?? engine sounds as if a spark plug has been taken out whilst engine running very similer to that

Thanks Loren thats next step . I took the plugs out today bearing in mind they are brand new with zero miles they had heavy carbon on them I was trying to check if the coils were giving spark cylinder 2 reddish colour spark not white as I expected however it was the same on 6 and 8 yet 6, 8 do not appear as trouble codes at the same time I was trying to work out why tube 6 of inlet was getting so hot I started engine without plug in cylinder 6 still getting hot how ?? When plug is out no fire in cylinder but did detect fait exhaust fumes and not raw fuel which should have been, I think valve issue?? Compression will tell hopefully what a night mere my autodata cd does not cover cayenne so have no data as to timimng chain removal, marks etc uk Porsche dealers not very helpfull either any ideas where I can obtain this on the net?? Thanks for assistance

Sorry sorry sorry just read on this forum cylinder lay out what I call 6 is actually 7 I naturally assumed as other V8's bulkhead side on left of engine is 5 not 8 Porsche had to be different so number 7 tube is getting hot also misfire there and 5 what I thought was 8 also misfire Apollogise for that error

Did all these faults happen at once? I would start with the basics and verify the valve timing.

ALL COILS ARE NEW BERU ONES, I AM IN NEED OF TIMMING DATA AND YES ALL THE PROBLEMS AT SAME TIME, I THINK THEY ARE ALL CONNECTED TO TUBE ON INLET GETTING HOT . I WILL LET YOU CHAPS KNOW WHEN I HAVE FINISHED COMPRESSION TEST THIS AM SURE WILL SHED MORE LIGHT THANKS GUYS

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I wasn't shouting did not realize caps were on Amy way both heads off found on bank one two valves chipped and bank two eight valves chipped yes chipped how ??? Anybodies guess the heads at machine shop will see and advise no pistons were damaged though

• 1 year later...

I have similar sympton on my04 cayenne-s; being many checking with days but hopless! Finally I got the car running after rev the engine 5k 3-4 times then suddenly it is back. I believe it is fuel issuel; either fuel pump or injectors stuck. will keep checking.

• 2 years later...

Hi Guys, did you find the main cause?

I have a similar issue which occurs intermittently - and the car starts vibrating quite a bit, and shows misfire in cylinder 2.  Have a 2006 cayenne turbo s.  Any help would be very much appreciated.

thanks

Edited by riz.hus

I have a similar issue which occurs intermittently - and the car starts vibrating quite a bit, and shows misfire in cylinder 2.  Have a 2006 cayenne turbo s.  Any help would be very much appreciated.

thanks

Looks like you did a code readout. Chances are you have a coil failing. Which can show intermittently.

WhisperBlade - I know living in Canada you probably fear the scored cylinder #5 problem - but it's actually rather rare, and probably unknown in London UK where it rarely gets much below freezing. With these sort of issues - step by step diagnostics, starting with the simple stuff (like reading the codes - if a misfire is shown as he mentions I'd be moving coils around and see if the fault follows the coil) is really what should be done first - rather then yelling "FIRE" or "EBOLA" and causing panic.

Edited by deilenberger

thanks

Looks like you did a code readout. Chances are you have a coil failing. Which can show intermittently.

WhisperBlade - I know living in Canada you probably fear the scored cylinder #5 problem - but it's actually rather rare, and probably unknown in London UK where it rarely gets much below freezing. With these sort of issues - step by step diagnostics, starting with the simple stuff (like reading the codes - if a misfire is shown as he mentions I'd be moving coils around and see if the fault follows the coil) is really what should be done first - rather then yelling "FIRE" or "EBOLA" and causing panic.

Thanks, yes I did a code readout (but cannot remember which code it was - but said cylinder 2 misfire..). 

I had cleared the misfire in cylinder 2 error code and the past few times I have driven it has not come back yet - but it had come a few times before that when I had cleared it.  Would you happen to have instructions on how I can get to the coil and move it to next cylinder?

These are not related to this post but not quite sure where to post this(if you know a post with these I can move the question there):

I am getting P0344 (camshaft position sensor bank 1) pretty much everytime I park and start up again. Also, when I reverse both the front and rear parking sensors show red bars, whereas front sensors work fine in drive.  Any idea what might be wrong with this - just trying to understand if something is wrong with the rear sensors why would the front ones also not work in reverse? Also, front passenger seat and rear seat heaters are not working - maybe the relay?  But not sure how to get to it.

Apologies for asking the obvious questions if I am, but I bought the car recently so not too familiar with things just yet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Problem with one tube warmer than the other solved. Suction valve has hole in it. Had to remove engine then head. Alter repair i did 200 km and heard big boom from the engine. Thougth the piston breaks. But finally it was valve spring from that broken valve. Had to take out engine again. Now i have Little problem with idle. The rest is fine. I did 6000km and still working on idle to smooth it.

• 3 months later...