Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

trouble shooting failed air suspension compressor

If your compressor isn't running the repair kit you ordered will be useless.

Guess I will have to wait and see. Thanks anyway.

Has anyone actually had a failed compressor on this forum? I've searched and most threads seemed to end with the repair kit.

You should be able to hear the compressor running under the front right door sill area.

You can test by plugging in your tyre filling hose at the seat adapter and switching ignition on.

There is a 40 amp fuse under the front left seat fuse block that blows if your compressor motor has failed.

You should be able to hear the compressor running under the front right door sill area.

You can test by plugging in your tyre filling hose at the seat adapter and switching ignition on.

There is a 40 amp fuse under the front left seat fuse block that blows if your compressor motor has failed.

PM sent.

Thanks

Anyone have a slow leak develop in one corner on air suspension?

Does this foretell an impending blowout?

Does an air spring blowout render the car undriveable?

Do these systems typically leak anywhere but at the air spring itself?

Shop manual says to replace both left and right air struts if one goes bad and the car has over 120,000 miles, implying that this is the useful life of the air struts. Does anyone have any real-world data as to how long the air struts last?

Do fronts go bad before rears typically?

The "pressure sensor lead" error code repair sequence starts off with looking for leaks in the system, so I presume that leaks are therefore the most common cause of this error code. Any agreement on this?

Thanks all.

Edited by dpolson

Panameras - I did the seal rebuild on my compressor with the VW kit, not too difficult at all and completely solved my compressor problems. I got the kit at the local Porsche dealer, and can probably dig up the part number if you still need it. The seal kit if I remember correctly was still around $160 CAD, but still a far cry from the prices being quoted for a new compressor.

• 2 weeks later...

Panameras - I did the seal rebuild on my compressor with the VW kit, not too difficult at all and completely solved my compressor problems. I got the kit at the local Porsche dealer, and can probably dig up the part number if you still need it. The seal kit if I remember correctly was still around $160 CAD, but still a far cry from the prices being quoted for a new compressor.

Forgot to update this thread. I bought and installed the VW air suspension repair kit from ecstuning ($80 shipped to Australia!), it did not initially fix the problem but it was due to a leaking pressure pipe. After dealer replaced the pipe and cleared all codes everything runs fine now.

Thanks to everyone who have helped me in this thread (special thanks to bigbuzuki).

• 4 months later...

I have seen multiple repair kits for the air suspension from ECS mentioned here. Looking on ECS's web site if find a few different ones but they are all around $150.00, People here have said they bought one for under 10, can someone help me find that one?

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Hey guys having similar issues with my 03 Ctt. Pretty much I purchased the rebuild kid from ecs tuning but have yet to install it...

Rebuild kit came with no instructions at all so I'm hesitant to do the installation yet. Exposing the compressor is a no brainier but disconnection for the rebuild I'm skeptic as to what needs to be removed.

Quick back drop on the issues thus far and remedies taken.

Car will not lower or raise manually at all. Bottom for control seems to be receiving to power as there is lights and the arrows but attempting to lower or raise has no effect.

Faulty workshop error appeared previously but after replacing the battery code has yet to return.

Car has once or twice on occasion when shut off and locked raised or lowered it self (couldn't tell which I only heard the air activating when walking away and then it stopped after only a moment)

Based on the previous post I'm not unsure if I need a whole new compressor or my purchased rebuild kit is the necessary fix.

My two major hopes are do I need a whole compressor and is there a way to test hopefully good instructions if there is

And secondly if I only need to install the rebuild kit does anyone have instructions for proper installation as the ecs kit has none

the ECS $9 deal is no longer there. but they offer same pump body for $100 something like that. still pretty good.

I think you need to look under same year VW touareg

installlation is pretty straightforward. there is an instruction somewhere on internet. GOOOle it please

• 2 years later...

Can anyone give me advice on replacing the suspsension air compressor. I am doing a diy replacement of compressor and my question is when put the new compressor in and reconnect the battery will it automatically refill the air that was released when I disconnected all the air lines and took old one out or do I have to have a durmactic machine to refill the lines. I already have removed old compressor and waiting on new one in mail. And I am praying that when I put new compressor in and reconnect the battery it will refill itselft on its own...

• Moderators

The compressor is running or not? Try again with the engine running and all doors close to start with, if unsuccessfull take the car for a ride over 120 Km/h.

Ok so when I first replaced it and connected the battery it gave yellow workshop while the compressor ran normally. Then it timed out and gave red workshop. So I disconnected battery and reconnected it again and no light came on. So I drove around the block and it didn't give any workshop lights after short drive. Then when I parked It and tried to raise it nothing happened. No light and the car wouldn't move.... Thanks for yalls input!!!!

• 11 months later...

Ok so when I first replaced it and connected the battery it gave yellow workshop while the compressor ran normally. Then it timed out and gave red workshop. So I disconnected battery and reconnected it again and no light came on. So I drove around the block and it didn't give any workshop lights after short drive. Then when I parked It and tried to raise it nothing happened. No light and the car wouldn't move.... Thanks for yalls input!!!!

You probably know this already, but it won't go up or down with any of the car doors open  (safety feature).. 

• 4 months later...