Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Bluetooth PCM adapter for PCM 2.1

So I purchased a Bluetooth phone / A2DP adapter:

http://smartworldcompany.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=68&category_id=3&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=54

or

http://www.viseeo.com/ugC_ShowroomItem_Detail.asp?hidPage1=1&hidShowID=35&hidClickNum=Y

It works well except that sometimes if I am playing music via the A2DP, and then answer the phone / talk / hangup, the next time the phone rings and I pick up I cannot hear the caller. They hear me fine.

I do have a CD changer in my CS but I DID NOT do anything to disconnect it or disable it. Two questions:

1) does anyone think that this could be the problem?

2) do I bypass the changer by simply putting a coupling on the fibre optic line at the changer or do I need to program the PCM to disable it?

I have tech support from the mfg looking at it now but I was curious about input from the other members...

:unsure:

1. Could be. The Dension GW500 which supposedly will coexist with a CD changer requires taking the changer out of the MOST loop and plugging the fiber links directly into the GW500 - it then handles the switching between it's (Bluetoof, iPod, USB, Aux) functions and the CD changer. IIRC I think the one you got is a ripoff of the MoBridge - which cannot coexist with the changer (big downside IMHO..) If it doesn't have a direct plugin connection dedicated to the changer - I think the changer has to go.

2. No - you need a jumper connector. That comes on P!Gs that were delivered "CD-changer-ready" with no CD changer (mostly '06 and newer). The MOST network is a loop network, unidirectional. Just unplugging the fiber connector will break the loop and nothing on it will work then. You need the jumper connector. A few vendors offered one IIRC.. some searching may turn it up for you.

thanks deilenberger

I actually understand the loop concept fairly well ... though I cannot seem to find the coupler (part number) you are speaking of.

BumperPlugs has one for around $35.. and let me look and see if I can find it.. http://www.bumperplugs.com/BPindex.html - CD Changer Closure - $39.

The Porsche part (I think - no picture):

999 650 091 40 "plug bridge optical waveguide" <- might be it, but no bets on that.. description sorta sounds right and the part was cheapish.. Probably be worth calling one of the on-line sponsoring vendors and asking.

Edited by deilenberger

I ordered and already received the one from BumperPlugs. Thanks deilenberger

I'm going to look at the CD changer tomorrow (Sunday). Any hints on how to get to the fibre connector at the CD changer? I understand there's a lot of PIA trim to take off.

...T

I ordered and already received the one from BumperPlugs. Thanks deilenberger

I'm going to look at the CD changer tomorrow (Sunday). Any hints on how to get to the fibre connector at the CD changer? I understand there's a lot of PIA trim to take off.

...T

Since you only have to remove the fiber connector from the rear of the CD changer, and plug the bypass jumper into the end of the cable, IF you have small hands this might be accomplished without removing a thing. I checked mine - and I can feel the cable going into the rear of the changer (my hands aren't huge..) I'd have to check what the catch on the cable end connector is, but IIRC - it's two tabs that must be depressed on the sides of the connector. You can probably tell when you get the jumper from BumperPlugs.

If you can, just unplug it, plug the jumper into it, wrap some small-bubble bubble wrap around it with some tape, and forgeddaboutit.

R&R of the changer - or even just R - is a royal PITA. I managed to get mine installed without removing all the stuff that's supposed to be removed by bending the mounting bracket, sliding it in and then bending it back. I don't recommend that technique. Problem is - I don't recommend the factory procedure either, you have to disassemble about half of the rear compartment, and remove the rear seats and all sorts of other fun stuff.

I'll be ordering the Dension GW500 probably next week. I want to keep my CD changer functional (I'm old, and somewhat of a Luddite, plus I'm too lazy to convert/copy all the CDs to MP3s.. and my other vehicles all have CD changers.. so..) which BumperPlugs doesn't quite seem to understand, so I'll have to decide if I want to install the GW500 back in the rear compartment, and run the iPod, USB and Aux cables forward (anyone done this?) or mount it near the PCM and run a new fiber circuit back to the changer (and reinstall the jumper on the existing connection.)

Decisions, decisions.. hence my question on if anyone has run cables to the rear - and what's involved?

Well let me put it to you this way, I haven't had a pair of gloves that fit me since I was 19 years old (half+ a lifetime ago). Actually not true, I was able to find a pair of 3XL gloves ... that I lost last year.

Maybe I can get my middle son to root around for me.

:)

So I got my hand behind the changer. I need a little advice.

I can feel the optic connector on the bottom of the back of the CD changer. I can even pull the tab down on the connector and pull on the fiber lines. But the connector will not pop out.

Understandably I am worried about pulling too hard and breaking the optic lines.

Is there another tab that I have to move / slide / etc ?? (besides the one on the top of the connector)

Tom

So I got my hand behind the changer. I need a little advice.

I can feel the optic connector on the bottom of the back of the CD changer. I can even pull the tab down on the connector and pull on the fiber lines. But the connector will not pop out.

Understandably I am worried about pulling too hard and breaking the optic lines.

Is there another tab that I have to move / slide / etc ?? (besides the one on the top of the connector)

Tom

Tom - I assume you got the jumper assembly from Bumperplugs by now? Take a look at it. IIRC there are two tabs on the connector, opposite each other but it's been a while... You could probably pull out your PCM and look at the cable plugged into it - I believe they all use the same connector.

I would REALLY avoid pulling on the fiber lines. They are terminated in a fitting that locks into the connector and pulling on them could pull them out of that fitting (and that would be a really ugly thing to fix..)

Edited by deilenberger