Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Spare tire question

I haven't measured it but it looks pretty tight. The toolbox now sits in the lower part of the trunk so I doubt it will fit. You could never fit a rear tire in the front trunk in a 996 so maybe the air/repair bottle is a good solution.

OK, But will the actual spare wheel, from a 996 fit on a 997?

• Admin

There are 4 different emergency wheels for 996's depending on year and model. My guess is that some are based on trunk area and some are based on body type (i.ae. C4S vs. coupe). There are no specs in the parts list for wheel size - but then these are not meant to go more than 50 miles. I don't see any reason why one would not work.

There are 4 different emergency wheels for 996's depending on year and model. My guess is that some are based on trunk area and some are based on body type (i.ae. C4S vs. coupe). There are no specs in the parts list for wheel size - but then these are not meant to go more than 50 miles. I don't see any reason why one would not work.

Thank's guys.

I just received Porsches OEM aftermarket spare for the 997S just a few days ago and from what I was told it is supposed to become an option for the 997 and 997S. I have a 997S and it does fit in the trunk but I am still waiting for the jack and the kit to secure the tire. Talk to Jeff at Sunset Porsche (ask for parts dept) in Oregon (1-800-346-0182) and he will set you up with the whole kit minus the compressor which you already have. The complete cost including jack is around $700.00. This is probably the same spare tire (collapsable type) that a 2004 996C4S has (the rim must clear the turbo brakes on the S model). The rim is alloy and painted red, its made in Germany and the tire is made in Holland. Remember your adding about 30lbs+ to the front of the car and reducing the little trunk space you have to more than half but for some like myself its worth the "peace of mind" especially on long trips in remote areas. If you have faith in the "liquid bottle" then its not for you and would simply be a waste of money. I've already pumped the tire up and the diameter of the spare when pumped matches the diameter of the 19" stock wheels so it should work. Also the rim is deep enough to easily clear the stock "turbo" brakes and the wheel lug bolt pattern matchs. The part number for the spare tire is: 996.362.020.02 Other info: max Psi is 40lbs, size is 185/60/17 93 P, DOT DVKV 4103. Stamped inside rim is: FR=6200N , GK AlSi7, Made in Germany, and the part #996.362.120.02 Please note that the part # stamped on the rim of the tire has a "1" in the 7th didget, not a "0". This probably represents the tire itself and not the kit? You will need to talk to Jeff regarding that. I will try to attach a few photo's. Cheers.

post-3842-1109062398_thumb.jpgpost-3842-1109062428_thumb.jpgpost-3842-1109062465_thumb.jpg

996 362 020 02 was actually the part number for the 996 C4S emergency wheel/tire as of MY04. Most likely the newest, lightest and smallest.

Just unbelievable, I can't imagine spending more than $70,000 for a car, and then they have the gut's to charge you for a spare tire???????????????WTF I just can't fathom that. I hope Porsche gets what they are asking for, with this latest fiasco. Which in my opinion would be distancing them from their loyal customer base.

• Moderators

996 362 020 02 is also listed for the 987. So there is hope for the new Boxster

Both the 997/987 have listed a 'boot' as 996 361 521 00. This is the same part number for the cover for the spare on a 996/986.

987 also has listed a 'belt' 996 361 411 00. Must be the strap to hold it in place. Same part number is listed for a C4S with ceramic brakes. For some reason I do not see it listed for the 997.

Let us know when you get the rest of the parts. Same thing should apply to the new Boxster.

• 6 years later...

I just received Porsches OEM aftermarket spare for the 997S just a few days ago and from what I was told it is supposed to become an option for the 997 and 997S. I have a 997S and it does fit in the trunk but I am still waiting for the jack and the kit to secure the tire. Talk to Jeff at Sunset Porsche (ask for parts dept) in Oregon (1-800-346-0182) and he will set you up with the whole kit minus the compressor which you already have. The complete cost including jack is around $700.00. This is probably the same spare tire (collapsable type) that a 2004 996C4S has (the rim must clear the turbo brakes on the S model). The rim is alloy and painted red, its made in Germany and the tire is made in Holland. Remember your adding about 30lbs+ to the front of the car and reducing the little trunk space you have to more than half but for some like myself its worth the "peace of mind" especially on long trips in remote areas. If you have faith in the "liquid bottle" then its not for you and would simply be a waste of money. I've already pumped the tire up and the diameter of the spare when pumped matches the diameter of the 19" stock wheels so it should work. Also the rim is deep enough to easily clear the stock "turbo" brakes and the wheel lug bolt pattern matchs. The part number for the spare tire is: 996.362.020.02 Other info: max Psi is 40lbs, size is 185/60/17 93 P, DOT DVKV 4103. Stamped inside rim is: FR=6200N , GK AlSi7, Made in Germany, and the part #996.362.120.02 Please note that the part # stamped on the rim of the tire has a "1" in the 7th didget, not a "0". This probably represents the tire itself and not the kit? You will need to talk to Jeff regarding that. I will try to attach a few photo's. Cheers.

post-3842-1109062398_thumb.jpgpost-3842-1109062428_thumb.jpgpost-3842-1109062465_thumb.jpg

I also have Space saver spare (with same tire size "185/60/17" but my space save (collapsed) sits 21" tall and the back wall in my trunk (2007 997 C4S) is only 20" tall but in your pics the spare seems to sit way lower??

• 4 years later...

I just got my 997 a month ago but when I realized it didn't come with a spare I immediately bought a 996 spare off of ebay.  The tire was unused and it came with the 996 tool kit and a tire cover for $250 shipped.  Its not a collapsible tire though and I immediately pumped it up and then realized that it wouldn't fit standing up being inflated like that so I had to angle it in the trunk.  Still - great piece of mind while driving.

Edited by jbachman2

Is there a part number for a space saver that will fit in the trunk of a MY05 C2 and bolt on the front and/or rear hub? I am thinking that clearing the brake rotor is the problem? I am surprised at how complicated this seems to be. I don't generally take my 997 far from home, so I suppose I could get by with a full size wheel stored in my garage. 

• 1 year later...