Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

error code P0740

Some of you may know that my Boxster had a problem of not having any speed signal with both the ABS and Spoiler warning light on.

The CEL light is NOT on. The transmission 4th Gear light is NOT on, either.

But, the car has been shifting poorly lately especially when cold. It lurches and slips and the gears don't engage or downshift properly. It is still driveable, but only if carefully shifting. The problem is more marked when driving gently. It seems to be masked when driving aggressively (the delay in shifting and slip between gears become less noticeable to me).

Having spent heaps of money on my Boxster last year alone, I have decided to trouble shoot this one myself. So I bought a OBD2 scanner.

It didn't return any speedo signal related codes!

It did return a P0740 which is "torque converter solenoid circuit open".

I am guessing that this means the torque converter is not engaging properly due to this solenoid not switching it right.

I have two questions for those in the know:

1. What is the most likely cause/fix to this P0740? Is replacing the solenoid a start and can that be DIY?

2. Can this P0740 also relate to the lack of speedo signal problem which surprisingly doesn't seem to show any related codes at the moment?

The scanner I used is from http://www.obd-2.com/

Please help. The last thing I need now is a transmission replacement. It's a 1997 Boxster with 120kkm on it. No tiptronic service yet as far as I know.

• Admin

1. Potential fault P0740 causes are:

- ATF level not OK - check ATF supply

- Torque converter clutch worn. - check torque converter

- Mechanical damage to pressure regulator 4. - check pressure regulator 4 (hydraulic)

- Open circuit, short circuit to ground, short circuit - check electrical triggering to pressure regulator 4 to B+.

- Hydraulic control unit - check for sticking valves.

2. Not all pcodes cause a CEL light.

If the speedo signal problem is ABS related then you may have an ABS code. Unfortunately Porsche has not shared those codes with many companies so ABS can not be read with scan tools other than a PST2 or PIWIS. Your car can also generate code for Body faults - B code, C drivetrain faults - C codes, and U faults - for undefined (by SAE) faults. Porsche only publishes P codes.

Some independent shops have invested in PST2 tools so perhaps one could read your full code faults for you (for a nominal fee). Either way you should try to identify and fix the P040 cause - which could be as simple as low ATF level.

Thanks Loren.

After some further checks on the speed sensors and revealed no obvious problems, I decided to take the car into the workshop.

Where I was told that the ABS controller was faulty and the tiptronic may need a rebuild. I was quoted:

1. Around $2500AUD to replace the ABS controller unit with a 2nd hand item

2. Around $4000AUD to rebuild the tiptronic transmission.

I was wondering if it's possible to replace the ABS controller myself? Has anyone attempted it or has any info on it?