Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Broken 996tt Taillight mounting points.

Hi guys....I know I am about to get flamed about being a cheapass with a $100K car, but here goes! Has anyone come up with a cheap and easy "fix" for the broken 996tt taillights? I am talking about the issue of the plastic becoming brittle and breaking where the mounting screws attach them to the car. Mine are broken completely on both sides! Based on the poor design I expect I am not the only one who needs or will need this soon! I saw a thread about using model glue, but mine are well past that!

My dealer's tech would not pass me for my last track day because I had used duct tape to secure the taillights in place! (I am from Alabama!) They wanted $600 apiece to replace them! I ended up begging my way into the event by convincing the Tech Marshall that the taillights weren't going to come flying out at speed!

I hate the thought of spending money on something that still works! Let the flaming begin!

CIMG0423.jpg

CIMG0422.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Just ordered a set of LED taillights off eBay. Description and pics say 996 Turbo fitment. Fingers crossed!

Any updates/pics? As you said, you're definitely not the only one with this issue. I'm curious to see the LED lights...

Hey guys...the LED's were a fantasy. The eBayer didn't know they wouldn't fit the Turbo until I pointed it out. I ended up fabricating some from .019mm aluminum. Not beautiful, but functional. I used .019 mm aluminium and some small sheet metal screws. I used my Dremel tool to cut the screws flush on the back side of the lamp assembly. Seems to me these should have had some metal reinforcement from the start, but what do I know?

CIMG0431.jpg

CIMG0428.jpg

CIMG0427.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi guys....I know I am about to get flamed about being a cheapass with a $100K car, but here goes! Has anyone come up with a cheap and easy "fix" for the broken 996tt taillights? I am talking about the issue of the plastic becoming brittle and breaking where the mounting screws attach them to the car. Mine are broken completely on both sides! Based on the poor design I expect I am not the only one who needs or will need this soon! I saw a thread about using model glue, but mine are well past that!

My dealer's tech would not pass me for my last track day because I had used duct tape to secure the taillights in place! (I am from Alabama!) They wanted $600 apiece to replace them! I ended up begging my way into the event by convincing the Tech Marshall that the taillights weren't going to come flying out at speed!

I hate the thought of spending money on something that still works! Let the flaming begin!

CIMG0423.jpg

CIMG0422.jpg

Why the Tail Light Mount Bracket Cracks on the

Porsche 911, 996 Turbo, Turbo S, GT2, C4 and C4S 2001 - 2005

This is a very common failure on these cars

Everyone should have this bracket on their tail lights regardless of whether or not the lights have begun to crack yet or not.

There are basically 4 reasons why the brackets fail.

1.    The weight of the rear mounted engine makes the back of the car slam down hard when it goes over bumps in the road.

2.    The sporty suspension is stiff and also makes the back of the car slam down hard.

3.    The thin plastic mount flange gets brittle and is not the strongest plastic to begin with.

4.    There is space between the underside of the engine lid and the top of the mount bracket flange, once the screw loosens or a crack develops, the fixture moves even more and eventually will fall out.

We here at Your Car Care Companion are looking out for you.  We have developed a support brace that looks very much like, but better than the stock mount flange but is much stronger and costs hundreds of dollars less than even a used cracked light fixture from an auto recycle center.  Everyone with a Porsche 996 Turbo, Turbo s, GT2, C4 or C4S should have this on their tail lights regardless of the condition especially if you track the car.  The bracket will be available very soon. We will update.

Don’t wait until your light fixture cracks breaks or falls off in the street or on the track.  This solid aluminum brace is excellent for protecting to secure your new lights from damage and prevent your old cracked lights from rattling and falling out like nothing else on the market. You do not need to replace your entire tail fixtures just because the mount brackets are cracked. This is a permanent fix that will support your light fixture better than the original plastic mount. Get yours today and tell a friend!

These are models, the final product will be aluminum, anodized or powder coated you choice with a choice of color for the lettering, "LIGHT SAVER" or just leave black.

The last pic is me with one of the machines we will be using to machine the molds for casting the 'Savers ;)

post-94431-0-73411700-1454460150_thumb.j

post-94431-0-40328200-1454460152_thumb.j

post-94431-0-20562600-1454460154_thumb.j

post-94431-0-33137200-1454460189_thumb.j

Edited by engineerboy100

• 4 weeks later...

How do we go about purchasing a set of these light savers?

I will be shipping a few out for review to some of the administrative forum members this Monday.  I will wait for their feedback and if all goes well I will post a one week special for forum members only.  The price will basically be to recover material costs etc. $29.95. there after they will be available on my website www.ycccdiy.com, they will be posted there after the spacial. full price is $79.95.  The standard color is white letters on a black body.  If members with to have another color to match their car, they should let me know, I have a virtually limitless ability to provide different colors. The materials right now are 1. Fiberglass reinforced high impact thermal plastic and 2. Fiberglass reinforced aluminum alloy composite. 3. Cast aluminum is still in the works for the tooling. Feel free to ask any additional questions you like it does not bother me and I am very responsive. I will not be able to post the special until I pay for my merchant account here on renntech.org, that will take place in the first part of March.

Sounds like a great deal; especially for those of us that have broken tabs. Can you put me down for a set is seal gray if possible. Please let me know and I can PayPal the funds to you or purchase them on your web site. Thank you again for replying back so quickly.

Thanks,

Saadi

In Europe we have same problems . hope the test become a succes.

Hopefully shipping to Europe?

Yes we will be shipping to world wide.  The final product material looks like is going to be made high impact high temperature thermal automotive plastic.  This material has proven in our test to be superior is strength, aesthetics and heat tolerance.  It also enables us to offer almost any color imaginable, however black is recommended as other colors show thru the crack between the light and the trunk lid.  once the "LIGHT SAVERS" are available they will be posted on my website www.ycccdiy.com and installation instructional videos will be posted on my YouTube channel; engineerboy100.  the forecast is about 3 or 4 weeks maybe sooner.  Thank you for your interest.  

post-94431-0-02957000-1456772675_thumb.jpost-94431-0-60660800-1456772670_thumb.jHi everyone,

I am happy to announce that the first few sets of "LIGHT SAVERS" have been shipped to customers for review and comment.  After these customers

have commented on what they think of the product and what they like and /or what should be changed, we will make necessary adjustments and release

them to everyone.

Edited by engineerboy100