Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

What's the best aftermarket intake/airbox kit ?

I have the same question I have a 2000 996 Carrera Tiptronic S, I bought the Porsche used and who ever owned it put on after market headers and mufflers but kept the orginal catalytic converters on. The exhaust note sounds great compared to other stock exhaust 996s. I have looked at K&N Air Intake exclusively for Porsche 996 model. Is this the best, it states may provide an additional 25HP. I also saw another air intake kit and the only difference is the air intake tube to the throttle is wider, with no change to the air filter housing. So if there is any Porsche pros out there and know better would you please comment for us with the best advice, thank you.

I have the K&N, sounds cool, you have to put a towel over it when you wash the car and evidence shows it adds NOTHING (or next to nothing) to the HP. Some folks have oiled up the MAF and have to replaced it. But looks pretty! If I was doing it again, would probably put the 997 airbox in, again, adds nothing but looks nicer than the 996 one.

None of them, the best one if the factory unit. I have installed some of the units over the years and think they are all garbage. One customer with a 996 turbo has to have the engine slightly dropped to install his CF air filter housing, if that's not madness I don't know what is.

Wow, thank you for your input. I am really confused, how can I get better power from my air intake without killing my MAF. I don't feel like needlessly spending thousands of dollars for nothing. Plus i do not want to turbo or charge my intake either, I love the sound of the naturally asperated engine and would like to have more of that sound and a little more power at the same time. I am really on the bubble about K&N Air, i have heard people with MAF problems and i have heard people with no MAF problems. I really do appreciate you guys input and will research this further. i want the best performance for my vehicle without unnecesarry damage.

• Upvote 1

There are two versions of Mass Air Flow Sensors for the early Boxsters. The first version is more susceptible to fouling and the later version was an improvement as it did not foul as easily.

I'm taking an educated guess that the early 996's had the same or similar design MAF's and this may explain the difference in the frequency of MAF sensoor problems.

Regards, Maurice.

Forget adding HP with an airbox period. Anyone that says you can is full of c@$p.. If you want the coolest looking go for the Porsche X 50 CF airbox. You will have to re fabricate your oil filler tube though. Lots of my friends have the K & N intake with no problems. Can't beat the sound...

• 2 weeks later...

The best one is the one that pulls the air from outside of the engine compartment, like the stock one.

Try the "orange" cap mod. You will get the sound of aftermarket with the cooler air from outside of the engine compartment.

http://forums.rennli...orange-cap.html

Okay I recieved my RED CAP today and followed the instructions off of RENNLIST. I capped the secondary opening in the Holtzsresonator Box and made sure all the fitting were tight. I gunned the engine and heard no noticeable difference. I found an open deserted street and floored the gas pedal for about 100-200 meters and still heard no noticeable difference in sound from either exhaust or air intake. Like I mentioned before I have an after market headers and exhausts. My car does not sound like a stock 996. Did I do something wrong or this will only work for 996s that are all stock and not for 996s like mine which already have some modifications. If I have done everything correct, K&N Air Intake modification sounds really good now.

P.S. I have a second red cap, if someone wants it let me know it yours.

UPDATE: Today I rechecked everything made sure all hose clamps were secure and tight and made sure that my RED CAP was pluged in the hole snuggly. Everything was in place except my main hose to the throttle body was a little crooked. Before repositioning and clamping down the hose. I checked the throttle body and cleaned around the edges of the flap. There was a little but of extra grease around parts that move. I repositioned the hose correctly this time and reclamped everything. I took it out on the highway (I-5) when there was no cars around and switched it to manual. OH BOY it started singing especially between the 5 and 6 rpms. I have to admit I had a little chubby going. As far as performance the torque seems the same, however it got up to 90Mph alot quicker then I remembered. If this is the same performance and sound I will get using the other after market air intakes. Then yes this is way cheaper (FREE) and safer for my car, because im still using the OEM parts that will not damage my car. I Love my car even more and love this site for Porsche lovers like me, RENNTECH IS THE TRUTH.