Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

A good friend of mine who is an aircraft mechanic,and total gear head owns a Porsche cayenne turbo, I have a 2002 911/ 996 Carrera 2. He keeps telling me not to use the factory recommended Mobil 1 0-40 w , and to use Amsoil.

He claims the Mobil 1 can destroy seals and more after extended use.

Also when my car (the 2002) was new I believe a even different type of oil (mineral based and thicker) and heavier weight was used like 10w 50 or something like that, then a couple of years later Porsche said to use Mobil 1 0-40 ?

Anyone got any input on this dilemma ? He goes on all the time how great Amsoil is, and Mobil 1 is crap, HELP Im confused :help:PS I live in central Florida,and he claims I also need a different weight,NOT 0- 40 ?

Edited by britdave

Both are great oils. Your car can also use the Porsche approved 5W40 and 5W50 Mobil 1. If you really want to learn (and see) more about the oil in your Porsche, I suggest doing used oil analysis with places like Blackstone.

Use OEM oil filters, and change it at least yearly, or every 5-7,000 miles.

Edited by White987S

Stop and think! How could a brilliant car production company, after engineering, manufacturing, testing, and with such a long history of production vehicles, valued, envied, sought after, loved, recommend a oil product for their engineering marvel, and be so wrong that what they recommend actually destroys their product?? Have some guts. Porsche recommends Mobil 1. Use Mobil 1. Forget about daft "friends" who know more than Porsche. I live in Central Florida. I run Mobil 1. Works great....end of story.

Well iv e heard this from other folks as well, just how great Amsoil is,and to beware of Mobil 1, but thanks for your input, I live close to Daytona as well (Ponce Inlet) so I'm wondering if I shouldn't try 5w 40 , does Mobil 1 make that ? And just what is an ACEA rating ?

Are you guys saying this Amsoil stuff is over rated ? Any thoughts on this stuff, a LOT of people rave about how good it is, there must be something to it, and as far as Porsche recommending it, perhaps it's some type of deal Porsche made with Mobil one ? Stuff like this has happened before recommendations from manufacturers that is, anyone got any scientific proof about the oil type mystery ???

There are NO secrets of mysteries. Pick a quality Porsche approved oil, in the proper viscosity for your driving conditions/climate, use OEM filters, and change it at least yearly or every 5-7,000 miles. Drive the stink out of your Porsche, and don't worry about it. If you really want to lean more about the oil in your Porsche, send samples to Blackstone Labs.

Move on, you have BIGGER fish to fry. Enjoy the ride!:)

Oil brand and oil weight has been debated long and hard on this forum. Here is the deal for me - it is your car, you can run whatever brand oil, oil weight, tires, antifreeze/mix, gas, air filter, etc. you want...it is your choice. Porsche has been making 911's for 54 years, testing, racing, building an outstanding reputation for quality, performance and endurance. My point being that why would you second guess Porsche engineers and what is recommended versus based upon "some folks" opinion's they are wrong. For me, it is Mobil 1. But hey, after 122,000 miles and no problems maybe I should experiment and figure out something better than the engineers recommended oil. Hmmm..on second thought, I don't feel like experimenting with a $30,000 engine.

911 PORSCHE approved oil list.pdf

• Admin

Oil brand and oil weight has been debated long and hard on this forum. Here is the deal for me - it is your car, you can run whatever brand oil, oil weight, tires, antifreeze/mix, gas, air filter, etc. you want...it is your choice. Porsche has been making 911's for 54 years, testing, racing, building an outstanding reputation for quality, performance and endurance. My point being that why would you second guess Porsche engineers and what is recommended versus based upon "some folks" opinion's they are wrong. For me, it is Mobil 1. But hey, after 122,000 miles and no problems maybe I should experiment and figure out something better than the engineers recommended oil. Hmmm..on second thought, I don't feel like experimenting with a $30,000 engine.

Your list is old - Porsche publishes a TSB ever year or two with updated approvals and removals.

The current TSB (11 pages - May 2012) is available on this site to our Contributing Members.

Here in Florida.. I had a talk with Pedro a month or so ago. He met with Mobil1 and found out the Mobil1 10w-40 high mileage formula has the zinc and additives back in it we always wanted from the original Mobil1 formula. The high mileage label is the only way the EPA would go along with it... Curious. Well, I switched back from Syntec 5w-40...we will see...

Here in Florida.. I had a talk with Pedro a month or so ago. He met with Mobil1 and found out the Mobil1 10w-40 high mileage formula has the zinc and additives back in it we always wanted from the original Mobil1 formula. The high mileage label is the only way the EPA would go along with it... Curious. Well, I switched back from Syntec 5w-40...we will see...

Interesting.....

Not true, according to this chart, they are the same:

mobil_1_product_guide.pdf

Edited by White987S

• 4 weeks later...
Porsche recommends Mobil 1. Use Mobil 1.

You HAVE heard of marketing agreements, right? Porsche is PAID for that recommendation-- they don't furnish it out of a sense of altruism.

"Shell V-Power: official fuel of Cycle World Magazine", Ferrari's recommendation of AGIP lubricants, KTM & Motorex-- it's all a marketing tie-in.

I gave my opinion based on two things - Porsche recommends Mobil 1 (yes, and along with an entire list of approved oils - see Loren's post) and my own experience with running synthetics since they first came out. I offered my post because I use Mobil 1, have 121,000 miles on my 99 996 and have never experienced any problems. I have used Mobil 1 in a variety of other vehicles that I have owned and racked up thousands of miles. It works and I have never had an engine oil related problem, ever. It is your car and you can run whatever oil brand you want. I was simply offering up my advice based upon experience. I am a consultant and I am highly paid for my recommendations, so I do understand the arrangement. I also understand that oil vendors pay a royal sum to Porsche to have their oil certified. I'm confident the certification process includes a lot of testing and evaluation...more so than one individual can do. Mobil 1 is cheap (I get mine at Wal-Mart for ~$25/5 quart), I change my oil often and I'm very secure in the knowledge that I'm running a quality oil approved and recommended by Porsche. Drive on!

I can't second guess Porsche engineering. They say Mobil 1 0W-40 and that is all I have used.

Changed the oil and filter yesterday. Purolator L25316 filter and I buy the 5.1 quart containers @ 2.

They are $40.00 each, so you save a little from buying quarts.

Take the old filter and cut in half. Check for any small metal debris. So far, so good. 85,000 miles.