Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

PCM or or not on a 981 Boxster - S?

I am really wrestling with this, it is a very expensive option in Canada, I told the saleman that it sucks to have to pay $3600 more for the PCM to get a USB input to the audio system, especially in car at this level when you already pay $810 Cdn for the Bose system.... (Infotainment Pkg. PCM packaged with Bose, HD and Sirius radio (which I won't use) = $4410

So there must be more that PCM brings to the mix, there is Navigation, 5.1 Audio, Graphical display of the G forces, that USB auxilary audio input... But what else? BTW, I am going with the manual transmission.

As good as the online configurator is the complete order guide for this new model would be nice...

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

As for additional information on the PCM, there 'might' be a few things, it will allow for the USB connection as already know but in addition to this the display will show and allow the section of the audio files on the USB making song selection a bit more user friendly. The other thing that has been alluded to but not confirmed is the ability to laod MP3's onto the PCM's hard drive for play back when no auxilary device is attached. The reason I said 'alluded to' is that it is appearently mentioned in the later version of the PCM manual but now one that I know has confirmed this actually works or is a feature that will be coming with a subsequent release of PCM firmware.

Of course there may also be additional things to access on the PCM like log data for trips if other options are chosen, the complete integration of Blue Tooth musical stream may or may not depend on the PCM option as well.

The stock sound sysytem can be described as adaquet, the ability of that system while the top is up should be fine, but with the top down may be a bit taxed to provide some reasonable sound enjoyment. I know that this may not be a concern to some, but coming from my 2006 and the base audio system, I know that when the top goes down the radio went off, it just couldn't keep up! So the Bose options was 'checked'.

So PCM, in the end it was a tough decision to make, expensive too, but I decided there was enough tangible and possible uses and abilities that the PCM would provide that made checking yet another option box 'necessary'. ;) Besides, although you can add this later given the upgrade cost and hassle you probably won't.

So I am in... on both.

Edited by Westcoaster
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

If you are going to tour or use the car everyday and enjoy driving your car for several hears, you will want PCM, the nav is excellent, and does heads up on the 3rd gauge face in the cluster at the right time.

If the car is mostly for sports carring, don't know why one would need a nav.  As navs go, it's a very fine one.  But, for autocross and scooting, you don't need it.

So, depends on the use.  It is a lot to pay for that option, so, think about your use case carefully!

As far as the radio goes, well, have not heard the Burmeister, but, I can't imagine not knowing it's a boxster.  It's supposed to sound like a boxster, especially with the top down, that's part of how you know this car's for you!  Congratulations on checking it out, can't imagine regretting it.

Update, after over a year of ownership I feel that for me I made the right choices.  I know that they are expensive options but the additional features that they brings to the table are worthwhile.

The PCM is used all of the time in my car, navigation as well.  The Bose system is quite good, but still has a hard time keeping up when the top is down, then it provides only background music, not serious listening.