Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

When used in short errands trip, car won't turn sometimes it takes

When I use my 996.1 for short drive to the stores and stop here and there.... once I try to turn it on it won't crank over the first try.... until 2-3 times of retry then it starts.

What could be causing this problem?

I just changed the battery but I don't drive the car often. Could this be that the battery is draining slowly due to non active?

It's a pain in the *** and sometimes embarrassing when people are near by and hears it won't start.

If you don't drive the car often I would recommend keeping it hooked up to a battery maintainer.

Your battery is running down on charge or isn't being charged back up which is why it manifests itself on short trips. If the maintainer doesn't do the trick it's either the battery, cables, or alternator.

Edited by ferrugia

If you have a maintainer and you're leaving it hooked up then this problem shoudln't have anything to do with not driving the car often. If it was the clutch switch, the starter wouldn't be trying to turn over the engine. In other words, I interpreted your message to say that it's slow to turn over, not that the car doesn't try to turn over the engine on start. This recently happened to me and it turned out that it was my altnernator. I had Autozone test the alternator and they said it was fine, but it turned out that it was only charging at higher RPMs, not lower RPMs and therefore short trips like you are describing would drain my battery quick. Since you have a new battery I would have your alternator looked at. They can usually test it without taking it out of the engine. Don't neglect the possibility that the wiring harness from the alternator to the starter may need to be repalced as well. These are known to go bad and cause resistance in the 996 and earlier 997s.

Edited by ferrugia

If you have a maintainer and you're leaving it hooked up then this problem shoudln't have anything to do with not driving the car often. If it was the clutch switch, the starter wouldn't be trying to turn over the engine. In other words, I interpreted your message to say that it's slow to turn over, not that the car doesn't try to turn over the engine on start. This recently happened to me and it turned out that it was my altnernator. I had Autozone test the alternator and they said it was fine, but it turned out that it was only charging at higher RPMs, not lower RPMs and therefore short trips like you are describing would drain my battery quick. Since you have a new battery I would have your alternator looked at. They can usually test it without taking it out of the engine. Don't neglect the possibility that the wiring harness from the alternator to the starter may need to be repalced as well. These are known to go bad and cause resistance in the 996 and earlier 997s.

Agreed. My bad, I thought he meant the engine did not even try to turn. In addition to what you mentioned, the only thing I can think of is some parasitic drain. The voltmeter should read ~14v when the car is just started. It stays between 13-14v when driving regardless of rpm. If yours reads lower, your alternator is failing or you have bad wiring.

Not unless you think your clutch switch only works on a cold engine :)

Again, I would:

1. If you have a Durametric I would see if there are any error codes.

2. Have the battery tested first (even if it is new). There is no limit to the weird problems that can happen if your battery isn't 100% working properly.

3. If the battery checks out, have the alternator tested and also check the resistance at each point along the wiring harness from the alternator to the starter. This can be done without taking the alternator out of the car and it should take literally under 10 minutes.

Thanks guys for the input. keytohwy thanks man. I'm around Concord area so not to far from Benecia. I honestly do not know how to use durametric and what it is. I hear a lot about it....

It is new-ish to me as we'll. I got the pro version so I'm not limited to how many cars I can read, partly so I could help folks like you. Let me know...I'm around.

It is new-ish to me as we'll. I got the pro version so I'm not limited to how many cars I can read, partly so I could help folks like you.Let me know...I'm around.

Thanks man. Some say it can't be my CPS because the car starts... if it was the CPS the car wouldn't start at all even on cold start.

• 2 weeks later...

Listen guys... at cold start it starts fine and perfect... Then when I drive it for 5-10 miles then I shut it off and within about 10-20 mins being off when you try to start it, it won't start at first or second try, it's always the third time.

Now if after the 5-10 miles of drive I shut it off and with 30mins or more, it starts perfectly fine. I'm guessing the engine has already cooled off.

So it has something to do with engine being warm and trying to start while warm I hope this makes sense and help.

TIA!

Edited by J_STATUS

This sounds exactly like a problem I faced, and in my case it turned out to be bad primary wires on top of the engine.

What solved this problem on my car was replacing the large main that goes from the alternator to starter to primary jump point in engine. That wire can become corroded, and is a well documented issue here and elsewhere.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/31797-strange-low-voltage-problems/

Any improperly tightened primary battery wires can deplete/damage an electrical system's capabilities in short order.

ALSO clean contacts and/or replace the primary ground strap from the body to engine near the RHS rear wheel.

That being said, there are are many possible culprits.

Certainly on the top of the list would be battery, alternator, and regulator, as well as wiring.

Have you considered a bad/old/faulty starter motor solenoid switch? When my car did this, started cold just fine, then after warm would take several hits before starting again, I replaced the starter/solenoid with a new unit and it never did that again. I did check out everything else from the key switch, battery, CPS, cables and grounds. If you have eliminated those possibilities, I would look into the starter/solenoid.